Speculation: Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - summer 2018 to summer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Samsonov alone is wining games for Bears then he is on the ice. Due to this, the team can relax in >50% of games. And then it is time for Vanecek to be on the ice our fresh and rested forwards overshoot the opposition.

I will say Bears streak is 60% due to Samsonov superhuman performances, 20% due to better offensive game by forwards, 10% due to coaching staff and 10% due to the luck.

GGF before ChristmasGF after ChristmasGA before ChristmasGA after ChristmasSV% before ChristmasSV% after Christmas
Samsonov2.432.364.071.420.8580.939
Vanecek2.143.402.712.700.9060.902
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Mahoney quote from an article over at "The Athletic" (article dated Feb 6)

“We’ve always had the philosophy that we were just going to take the best player available to us,” Mahoney said. “I know that might sound a little bit funny since we’ve taken a lot of defensemen lately but it is true. It seems like lately there have been quite a few defensemen that have been sitting there.”

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
They were the "Cancer" in the locker room and glad they are gone as the results are showing.

Agreed, they were bad for the locker room. And AJF didn't show much at all on the ice. Some straight away speed only.

I'm no so sure that's fair lol...I think it has a lot more to do with first year guys starting to adapt halfway through the season than it does with two homesick guys being a "cancer to the locker room". I also thought AJF started showing some compete towards the end and I loved him on the third line with malenstyn. Think he would be rounding out his north american game right now too had he stayed. It's quite the adjustment to the second best league in the world from juniors, NCAA and euro.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Love that thought process. Assets assets assets. I fully expect at least a couple of our blueliners to get moved before they ever see a caps Jersey full time.
Totally agree. I know folks are anxious because the forward cupboard is pretty bare, but develop these D prospects well and the franchise can reasonably expect to get quality forwards--at least wingers--in trade.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
They were the "Cancer" in the locker room and glad they are gone as the results are showing.
I don't think it was about Cancer. 11 out of 22 players had ZERO AHL experience before this season start. Ten of them are not native English speakers. It was programmed to be a brutal start. This situation was more comfortable for some players more than for some others. Maybe at some point every one agreed AFJ, for some reason, was not progressing good enough in such situation. It doesn't mean he cannot come back then the team is stabilized. For Shumakov it was different. He just got bored to play in a weaker league on a brutal team with extremely limited abilities in English and no one to talk to in the team? In a different situation he could be our top6 NHL forward right now. He lost the faith way before.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't think it was about Cancer. 11 out of 22 players had ZERO AHL experience before this season start. Ten of them are not native English speakers. It was programmed to be a brutal start. This situation was more comfortable for some players more than for some others. Maybe at some point every one agreed AFJ, for some reason, was not progressing good enough in such situation. It doesn't mean he cannot come back then the team is stabilized. For Shumakov it was different. He just got bored to play in a weaker league on a brutal team with extremely limited abilities in English and no one to talk to in the team? In a different situation he could be our top6 NHL forward right now. He lost the faith way before.
You’re giving Shumakov way too many excuses. The guy just flat out sucked in the AHL. It happens all the time. Not every top KHL scorer can come to NA and produce at a similar rate. Some guys are just better off playing on larger rinks. Shumakov went to a “better” team after being released from Hershey and didn’t do well there either.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Just looked how our forwards do since December. I notice Megna, Pilon, Malenstyn and Pinho clear progress statwise. Gersich Kammerer and Ikonen with some regress.

With one more top3 forward this team can do well in playoffs.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
You’re giving Shumakov way too many excuses. The guy just flat out sucked in the AHL. It happens all the time. Not every top KHL scorer can come to NA and produce at a similar rate. Some guys are just better off playing on larger rinks. Shumakov went to a “better” team after being released from Hershey and didn’t do well there either.
Well I forgot one more excuse: he got injured and was not in shape because of it. The principle thing, I think, was that Caps have no/little need in a forward like him. Too many not so physical snipers with no PK upside in DC.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Well I forgot one more excuse: he got injured and was not in shape because of it. The principle thing, I think, was that Caps have no/little need in a forward like him. Too many not so physical snipers with no PK upside in DC.
Report: Sergei Shumakov Refused to Practice, Told Capitals He Was Leaving Prior to Placement on Waivers

Just a refresher that it wasn’t a pretty breakup between the two. It’s a pretty big deal that Bears play by play guy Zach Fisch was airing out dirty laundry on Twitter and the radio broadcast. He usually doesn’t do that. That tells me there was more to this story that was going on behind the scenes.

Shumakov was given ample opportunities to be a stud AHL player and receive a call up. He was gifted top 6 minutes and top PP time, even after coming back from his injury. He just wasn’t producing at the same level and got impatient.

The Caps could have used a forward like him IF he progressed enough to earn a call up. The Caps are currently shopping around for more scoring and are looking to upgrade their third line. Shumakov could have easily been that guy if he didn’t bolt.

Basically, this guy was given ample opportunities to succeed and he blew it. The injury didn’t help but either did his attitude

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
anybody good at face-offs down in Hershey? Caps are dead last in the league. seems like something which needs to be addressed eventually, whether by trade or call-up

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Sample size, IMO. Maybe the guy was a Prima Donna, but he didn’t spend anywhere near enough time to say whether it could’ve been a good player for the Caps or not.

Like I said, shame he and AJF aren’t here now. I think they’d put this Bears team over the top. Talent wise.

I also totally get that had they stayed, the team may not have gelled like this. Sports are funny that way.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Went out for drinks with some buddies so didn’t catch the game. Barber with the Hatty to put him at 24 goals on the year. He’s tied for 4th in the AHL now.

Was trying to figure out where DSP slots into the lineup. Won’t be surprised to see him in the top six and the most likely candidate to get bumped down would be Pinho. He can drop to the 4th line

Reactions: Holtbyisms

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Still no DSP. Sounds like he’s taking his sweet time. He should have been there already IMO. I get that he’s probably pissed off but this isn’t showing any organization that you’re willing to do whatever it takes to get back on a NHL roster

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

Still no DSP. Sounds like he’s taking his sweet time. He should have been there already IMO. I get that he’s probably pissed off but this isn’t showing any organization that you’re willing to do whatever it takes to get back on a NHL roster

Are Pennsylvania work visas that hard to obtain?:sarcasm:

Since our defensive depth has been a topic of discussion the last 24 hours, how did the Hershey d-corps look last night. Anyone making the case to be in D.C. sooner than later.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'll give DSP a little slack here since the Caps were on the road when he got the news and I'm sure he has to get straight back in D.C. area but if he is in the lineup by Wednesday I might start to worry about his commitment.

Since our defensive depth has been a topic of discussion the last 24 hours, how did the Hershey d-corps look last night. Anyone making the case to be in D.C. sooner than later.

I thought watching last night Seigenthaler was the best D, but Johansen looked good as well.

Not for nothing but Ness always looks steady. Just no space here for him and he is 28 so......

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Went out for drinks with some buddies so didn’t catch the game. Barber with the Hatty to put him at 24 goals on the year. He’s tied for 4th in the AHL now.

Was trying to figure out where DSP slots into the lineup. Won’t be surprised to see him in the top six and the most likely candidate to get bumped down would be Pinho. He can drop to the 4th line
I also opted to have some drinks with my buddies last night...perhaps one too many drinks..*cough*... So I just watched the game this morning. Threw together some hungover incoherent thoughts for anyone who missed out.

Another win for the Bears, now a franchise record for the most consecutive games with a point. 4-2 win, Barber with the empty net hatty and Megna with the other. Bears play really solid team defense and keep the pressure off their defenders and goalie for the most part. Also can't help but notice how hard they forecheck. Every single time the puck was in the Pens zone there were two Bears crashing the corners. Not that they turned the puck over every time but they certainly made it a pain in the ass for the Pens to exit their own zone. Speed also continues to be a huge factor. They can out skate most of the teams in the AHL with ease.

Vanacek in net for this one and stopped 30/32. He wasn't tested much in the 1st period but made the saves he needed to. Second period the Pens turned up the pressure and he had to be better. Gave up a couple but neither were really on him in the second period. He also went after a Pen after the whistle and had words/argument with Pens goalie at the bench shortly after. Vitek had to be really good in the last 5-ish minutes of the third. One HUGE series of saves with a little over 2 minutes to go. Then with under 30 to go Lewington lost his helmet and had to bail for the bench with two Pens down in tight. Vitek made a great save and kept the game 3-2.

Malenstyn doing a good job screening the goalie. Not afraid to go to the net and battle. It's also impressive how short of a distance he needs to really load up for a powerful check. He generates a ton of energy in such a small space. Continues to block shots coming from the point on the PK with no fear.
---1st intermission interview with Malenstyn---
  • he's not an enforcer but not afraid to stand up for himself or his teammates.
  • he's having a lot of fun, team has a lot of confidence right now.
  • the effort was never a question earlier in the year just finding their groove.
  • since Christmas he has been with the same linemates and has become good friends with them off the ice as well, attributes his offensive uptick to that.
  • says some guys are PP guys and some guys are PK guys and he's got a lot of pride in what he does(PK).
  • he loves all three new coaches in Hershey and they have a good personal relationship because they're all a little younger.

Johansen and Siegenthaler playing together, both lefties...they had an adventure of a night. Some notes on their play
  • Johansen made a nice step up in the offensive zone to create a really high risk scoring chance early in the 1st.
  • Siegenthaler with a dumb-ish play around the 11 minute mark of the 1st period. Tried to shoot a one timer on a d to d pass on the blueline and overextended his arms falling down and creating a 2 on 1 the other way. Lujo covered for him on the 2 on 1 and made a nice play to keep the Pens from getting a good scoring chance out of it.
  • Pens first goal came from Siegenthaler playing a little soft. Instead of stepping up he kind of backed off, tried to use his stick and then cringed/faded away while the Pen was winding up for the wrist shot. Liam O'Brien also at fault here. He got danced around at the blueline before releasing him on a rotation to Siegenthaler.
  • The Pens second goal was again this pairing on the ice. Started with LuJo making a nice rush into the offensive zone going end to end. Unfortunately Seigenthaler made a bad read and also decided to head into the offensive zone. Bears play by play called out the bad read as well. Lead to some zone time when the Pens went the other way with both defenders trapped behind them. Forwards were puck watching and eventually LuJo didn't make the smart play to go off the boards and out and tried to bump the puck to an unsuspecting teammate. Pen scooped up the puck and went cross ice to a open player cutting to the net who fired it home.

Lewington took on three Pens in front of Vitek after a whistle and smiled while punching/getting punched in the scrum. He's a straight up warrior. Him and Ness are clearly the top pairing and work very well together. After Vanacek had words with a Pen in the second Lewington said something to the guy that sent him into a rage. He ended up having to be shoved into the penalty box. Lewington also picked up a minor for the incident.

Pinho and Gersich connected for a beautiful passing play between the dots. Gersich not afraid to go to the dirty area in front of the net but was robbed from about two feet out. He got hammered for his effort but bounced right back up. Gersich made a hell of a hustle play with 13:46 to go in the second. Muscled the puck away from a guy in his own zone and just took off down the boards, fought off hard backchecking, still managed to get a breakaway shot and drew a penalty to send the Bears to the PP.

Barber's first goal came off a one timer from the Ovi spot just as a 5 on 3 expired. Aaron Ness with the pass and Sgarbossa picked up the secondary. Shanked the puck a bit and I think that kind of messed with the goalies reaction and it fluttered past Jarry.

Hobbs with a not so smart move at the blueline with around 8 minutes to go in the second. Tried to walk a guy who had him covered tight to the wall at the blueline. Guy stripped the puck and took off the other way. Hobbs was able to get back and make a play on the puck before it became a scoring chance but then took a penalty doing so. Bears play by play nailed it...just gotta simplify things, not a smart play.

Took all of 55 second into the third for the Bears to tie the game up at 2. Liam O'Brien and Megna had a 2 on 1. O'Brien was gassed and one handed the puck across to Megna when the Pen defender went after him. Megna was then in alone from the dots and went backhand into the top of the net. Waterbottle style. Awesome elevation for a backhander.

Barber scored his second of the game from the slot. O'Brien won a battle in the corner, got the puck behind the net where Sgabossa retrieved it and fed Barber wide open in the slot. Picked the top corner and nailed it. This put Hershey up 3-2 with under 4 minutes to go in the game.

Barber scored his 3rd goal in stylish fashion(for an empty netter). Dove from his knees and swatted the puck out of the zone straight into the empty net. Was about a 200 footer from nearly his stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad