Capitals Juggernaut

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
you forgot the caps point leader in the regular season just produced 2 points in the playoffs, the friggin islanders went to game 7 against this "juggernaut". did the pens play better ? yes, did the caps choke ? yes. if kuzy does this again we are out in round1 or 2.

We can withstand a Casper the friendly Kuzy act this year far better than we did last year. The scoring depth is less focused on just the top two lines. I "think" we can get passed the Leafs without all 4 lines producing but I'm not sure about the pens/jackets let alone the ECF/SCF.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I remember that year... Best playoffs run I've seen in Montreal but you are gonna need a lot of luck and the hottest goalie (Halak was just insane in those two series).

Halak was great, but I don't think that he was insane in those two series.

Halak GP 13 / W-L 8-5 / Min 745 / GAA 2.42 / SV% .933 /SA60 36.2

Andersen in his last 13 full games:

GP 13 / W-L-OTL 9-2-2 / Min 789 / GAA 2.05 / SV% .938 / SA60 33.1

Now, of course, Halak was playing stronger opponents than Andersen was (while at the same time Andersen was not healthy during this stretch either), but I don't think that what Halak did was out of the realm of possibilities for most number goalies in the NHL.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Hawks and Kings and Pens have dominated for so long, that half the league feels like chokers. Capitals, Wild, Blues, Rangers, Sharks, Ducks - all make playoffs every year and none have a Cup recently. It's so hard to win the Stanley Cup - too many variables to just hand it to the best team on paper, which Washington certainly is.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
If you factor out their reputation as playoff chokers, it seem the Capitals are the overwhelming favourite to win the Cup (especially with all the injuries in PIT).

Has there been a team since the 05 lockout that has been so far and ahead of the pack than these Capitals heading into the playoffs?

(The criteria is the difference in strength between the first Cup favourite and the next best team. This year it would be WSH as the favourite and then PIT (with injuries) and maybe CHI as the next best teams).

2008 Red Wings and 2013 Blackhawks were basically viewed as sure bets heading into the playoffs.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The single biggest problem for the Caps is that they'll face a top 3 team IN THE SECOND ROUND. Of course they have to overcome it, but there's no shame in losing a close best-of-7 against the Pens ... it's just a shame it's in the 2nd round. No one would say anything if they lost in game 7 against the Pens in an ECF, as it should be.

There's really no comparison in any other sport. The best teams like this never meet that early.

Uh, in the NBA, if all the favs win, 1 takes on 4 and 2 faces 3 it's very similar just slightly worse.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I feel like they are getting over rated due to facing what is perceived as the weakest team first. I think a lot of fans see a relaxed easy series to "warm up" while the pens/cbj beat the hell of each other and show up worn down in the 2nd round.

I think some fans will be surprised. Leafs won't make it easy.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Listen. Penguins don't lose back to back.

Caps can try anything they want. They can callup everyone they want.

Penguins still get a split in first 2 games.

Then they can easily win both at home.

Then it's a wrap for the Caps who are down 3-1 in the series despite having home ice.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Has there been a team since the 05 lockout that has been so far and ahead of the pack than these Capitals heading into the playoffs?

(The criteria is the difference in strength between the first Cup favourite and the next best team. This year it would be WSH as the favourite and then PIT (with injuries) and maybe CHI as the next best teams).

2009-2010 Washington finished with 121 points, an 8 point lead over 2nd place in the league. They lost in the first round.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
They need Kuznetsov to not go mia again. They filled their holes from last year. Replacing Richards with Eller and drastically improved depth on defense.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
2009-2010 Washington finished with 121 points, an 8 point lead over 2nd place in the league. They lost in the first round.

They didn't have the defense or goaltending to go deep. They were obviously flawed. They just scored a **** ton of goals which works in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Suds

Nov 27, 2014
Caps should have won last year.

Holtby played well enough to win the SC, the defense played well enough to win the SC, the coaches did their job, the owners paid the players to play....the offense failed.

So, as Babcock said, "pressure is a funny thing".

The key this year will be the Kuzi line IMHO. The Kuzi/Williams/Johannson line must play better. Kuzi must play better. They are good but not SC good.

Go Caps

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Yes non-caps fans, when we choke (we won't) you will only have yourselves to blame!

:laugh:too funny because isn't that what the non caps fans want? Doubt they'll be crying in their beer when the Caps get choked out.

Last edited:

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

That was a good team... BUT...

Just look at the rest of the Southeast that season and compare it to this years Metro and you can see a huge difference.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Oilers made the playoffs, Wings missed, why wouldn't this year be the year the Caps break through!? :sarcasm:

But seriously, surprised to be reading people saying the Caps were viewed as the best team in the East last lead heading into the playoffs.

IMO the Pens were clearly head and shoulders above everyone from the coaching change on forward. The Capitals didn't choke anything last year, they lost to a better roster with a better coach.

Say what you will about the Caps history but this year they look very deep at every position, very talented, and very well coached. It's of course not a lock that they win, because there's so much luck involved, but I know a Cup-caliber team when I see one and the Capitals are it.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Halak was great, but I don't think that he was insane in those two series.

Halak GP 13 / W-L 8-5 / Min 745 / GAA 2.42 / SV% .933 /SA60 36.2

Andersen in his last 13 full games:

GP 13 / W-L-OTL 9-2-2 / Min 789 / GAA 2.05 / SV% .938 / SA60 33.1

Now, of course, Halak was playing stronger opponents than Andersen was (while at the same time Andersen was not healthy during this stretch either), but I don't think that what Halak did was out of the realm of possibilities for most number goalies in the NHL.
Halak's stats are skewed by a couple of blowouts. He was insane in the last 3 games against the Caps with the Habs trailing 3-1 in the series. He was also fantastic after game 1 against Pittsburgh.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Oilers made the playoffs, Wings missed, why wouldn't this year be the year the Caps break through!? :sarcasm:

But seriously, surprised to be reading people saying the Caps were viewed as the best team in the East last lead heading into the playoffs.

IMO the Pens were clearly head and shoulders above everyone from the coaching change on forward. The Capitals didn't choke anything last year, they lost to a better roster with a better coach.

Say what you will about the Caps history but this year they look very deep at every position, very talented, and very well coached. It's of course not a lock that they win, because there's so much luck involved, but I know a Cup-caliber team when I see one and the Capitals are it.
It's easier to say that in retrospect though. For example in the 2016 finals, 16 out of 21 of nhl.com's analysts picked San Jose to win. Before the playoffs, only 1 out of 21 picked Pittsburgh to win the cup. Capitals were seen as the favorites to come out of the east.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-experts-picks-for-stanley-cup-playoffs/c-280133146

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad