Capitals Juggernaut

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I think they're the favorites, but "overwhelming favorites" is giving them way too much credit. Even with their injuries, I think the Penguins have a shot at winning a cup as do the Hawks (obviously). They're the favorites, but they could still lose to either the Jackets or Penguins in the 2nd round. They're not going to steamroll through the playoffs.

As a Caps fan, I agree with this. Close the thread.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Jinx thread? :naughty:

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I do believe as of a couple days ago the Hawks were "technically" the odds favorite for winning the Cup according to Bovada - Las Vegas, at 4/1.

I think Washington is very, very good. But they have a much tougher road to the SCF. Which, as a Hawks fan, I love to see. The Pens, Jackets, Caps, Rangers, Bruins, etc. can all beat the hell out of each other and be burned out heading into the SCF. So... I like the Hawks odds, and have confidence in them getting to the SCF, at the very least.

But back on topic, Washington is a really good, really deep team. And if it were the Hawks vs Caps in the SCF, I'd give it a 50/50 for whoever comes out on top. A few bounces and some puck luck would determine the winner, IMO.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I think they'll handle the Leafs pretty easily. And will probably advance past the pens given their current situation.

However, lets not forget last year when the Caps were up 3-0 on the Flyers and let them extend that series to 6 games when it should've been a pretty easy sweep.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think they'll handle the Leafs pretty easily. And will probably advance past the pens given their current situation.

However, lets not forget last year when the Caps were up 3-0 on the Flyers and let them extend that series to 6 games when it should've been a pretty easy sweep.

The thing I can see happening to the Caps... is underestimating the Leafs.

That team has nothing to lose. They basically are a year ahead of schedule, IMO. Reminds me of the Hawks in 08-09, when they went to the WCF and lost to Detroit, but pushed 3 of the 5 games to OT.

When a young team has nothing to lose like that, they can be a scary team to play against.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
In a 7 game series, having a healthy and motivated Sid and Geno is very hard to beat. The grind of a series talent especially with elite talent is hard to top.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
2-2 vs. the Pens.
2-2 vs. the Rangers.

Either series vs. those teams is probably going the distance.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Didn't we have a similar perception of the Capitals last season?

Or am I just going crazy?

I did. I thought they were unbeatable. Gotta give Sullivan a lot of credit for handling that forecheck. Also gotta give Murray credit because I thought Washington outplayed Pittsburgh.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
As a Leafs fan, as much as I want caps to absolutely CHOKE you cannot deny Caps are a different beast this year versus last year.

Last year Caps had loaded Forwards but were thin on D; This year they have pretty much the same forward core but their D is more stacked

Shattenkirk
Niskanen
Orpik
Carlson
Alzner

That's almost exactly the same as last year except Shattenkirk is there. Yes it's improved, but to say they were thin on D?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe this is the year they shed this label. When The SJ Sharks went to the Finals under Deboer. Perceptions changed. They are a team without a weakness. From their fwd and defence group, Goaltending, to special teams play. They have a deep and balanced lineup.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
The Caps lost last year for three reasons:
1) Pittsburgh's 3rd/4th were infinitely better
2) They were thin on D and were exposed when Orpik was suspended and Alzner got hurt
3) Enough credit isn't given to Sullivan for the job he did. The Penguins were a very talented team who were peaking at the right time. Everyone loves to label the Caps as a choker, which applies to 2010, but some of the other losses, like last year's loss to the Pens, were simply because they lost to a team playing better than them.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
If you factor out their reputation as playoff chokers, it seem the Capitals are the overwhelming favourite to win the Cup (especially with all the injuries in PIT).

Has there been a team since the 05 lockout that has been so far and ahead of the pack than these Capitals heading into the playoffs?

(The criteria is the difference in strength between the first Cup favourite and the next best team. This year it would be WSH as the favourite and then PIT (with injuries) and maybe CHI as the next best teams).

I'd say that the Canucks, Sharks, Blackhawks, Penguins and Red Wings were all similarly regarded.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
The thing I can see happening to the Caps... is underestimating the Leafs.

That team has nothing to lose. They basically are a year ahead of schedule, IMO. Reminds me of the Hawks in 08-09, when they went to the WCF and lost to Detroit, but pushed 3 of the 5 games to OT.

When a young team has nothing to lose like that, they can be a scary team to play against.

Hey I hear ya and I hope that happens! :laugh:

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Looks a lot like 2009-10, caps win presidents trophy, Pens are defending champs

This year caps have 55 wins going up against an opponent who had 15 less at 40. In 2009/10 Caps had 54 wins went up against an opponent in the first round who had 15 less at 39. How did that work out again.

After knocking off the Caps that 39 win team went on to knock of the defending champion penguins.

Could history repeat? Leaf fans hope so, Caps and pens fans hope not.

I remember that year... Best playoffs run I've seen in Montreal but you are gonna need a lot of luck and the hottest goalie (Halak was just insane in those two series).

johnniewalker

Dec 14, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
If I recall correctly, heading into the playoffs last year there was a general sentiment that the Caps were the team to best in the East. A lot of people noted that the Penguins looked like they were hot at the right time and were going to be dangerous, but a lot of people also suggested that they had a weak defense.

This year, it's basically the same thing as last year in terms of where the two teams stand in terms of popular opinion, except that the Penguins are not as hot as they were, their defense is weaker than it was last year, and the Capitals strengthened their defense.

This might be their year. The fear from their standpoint has to be that they stay as remarkably healthy through the playoffs as they did through the regular season. A key injury to any of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Alzner, Carlson or Shattenkirk and that could swing things the wrong direction for them.

Jul 22, 2012
They're definitely the favorites and the best team, but a lot of luck is involved in hockey. If it's not on their side they aren't winning anything.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
LOL who actually considers Washington immeasurably ahead of the pack?

They may be a favorite, but certainly not heads and above any other top contenders.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
You can't start a thread like this and add in "ignoring their playoff chokes." Accurate or not, it's part of their lexicon now.

I'll remind people that analysts said the same thing about the caps last year. Even though they linked into the playoffs, they laid waste to the league all season. And still a 2nd round loss.

This season is no different, Outside of them not limping into the playoffs.

Until they can show they can get last round 2, I believe they will choke.

Having said that .. I think this is the year they do it. I think they play the pens in round 2 and the pens are just too banged up right now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Caps fans will get to know Matthews parents and Marner's favorite tooth paste and Kadri's dog preferences so there is some excitement leading into the first round for them

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
The Caps lost last year for three reasons:
1) Pittsburgh's 3rd/4th were infinitely better
2) They were thin on D and were exposed when Orpik was suspended and Alzner got hurt
3) Enough credit isn't given to Sullivan for the job he did. The Penguins were a very talented team who were peaking at the right time. Everyone loves to label the Caps as a choker, which applies to 2010, but some of the other losses, like last year's loss to the Pens, were simply because they lost to a team playing better than them.

you forgot the caps point leader in the regular season just produced 2 points in the playoffs, the friggin islanders went to game 7 against this "juggernaut". did the pens play better ? yes, did the caps choke ? yes. if kuzy does this again we are out in round1 or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad