GDT: Capitals @ Coyotes - 11/9/2013 8 PM

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Just finished watching the game in DVR. I said to myself half way threw the 3rd "most complete game by the Caps I've seen in a while". They dictated play for the majority of the game. Then they gave a good team at home life and lost. Very disappointing, but a good learning experience early in the season.

Also, how they respond tonight will say a lot. Come out pissed and take it to the Avs or come out with a "poor me" attitude and get smoked. I expect the former.

And Neuvy is Nervy now? How cute. Some need a scapegoat to ***** I guess. It was a team loss. Simple as that.

Finally, the chronic use of "we" by posters on here when referring to the Caps never gets old for me. Always good for a laugh. Especially after a loss.

Nicknames are stupid. However, it's use cannot deflect from the fact that we simply cannot afford a 2.5m backup when we have such a glaring need in the top 4. Caps could be this close to being something possibly wonderful. It's right there, we just need a team GM to grab it. George.... or not, I don't care! Just get it done.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just finished watching the game in DVR. I said to myself half way threw the 3rd "most complete game by the Caps I've seen in a while". They dictated play for the majority of the game. Then they gave a good team at home life and lost. Very disappointing, but a good learning experience early in the season.

Also, how they respond tonight will say a lot. Come out pissed and take it to the Avs or come out with a "poor me" attitude and get smoked. I expect the former.

And Neuvy is Nervy now? How cute. Some need a scapegoat to ***** I guess. It was a team loss. Simple as that.

Finally, the chronic use of "we" by posters on here when referring to the Caps never gets old for me. Always good for a laugh. Especially after a loss.

"Nervy" has been around for a while.

"Team loss" is not a simple concept, and includes mistakes by NERVY.

I mentioned factors other than Nervy already. What other contributing factors did you note?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Very good road game for 55 minutes against one of the best home teams in the league, only to blow the lead with less than 4 minutes remaining. Capitals hockey at it's best.

Still got 1 point more than i expected from this.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Very good road game for 55 minutes against one of the best home teams in the league, only to blow the lead with less than 4 minutes remaining. Capitals hockey at it's best.

Still got 1 point more than i expected from this.

This. I fully expected us to be 9-9 on Tuesday when Columbus visits the Phone Booth. As frustrating as that loss was, still better than I thought it'd be.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Caps did a lot of good yesterday. But failed in the end.

Tonight Holtby could be the factor to help reboot the mood of the players and play better game till the end.

Will see how they rebound.

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON

I agree. Follow this up with a win tonight and I'm cool.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I was expecting a 4-1 loss last night, so I won't complain about the result, even if the way it happened was ugly. I, too, expected them to go 0-2-0 in PHX and COL.

Overall the team is playing much better right now than they were a few weeks ago, and given their brief track record under Oates I'm hopeful that they will level off as a pretty good team. Not a real contender with this D, but better than I feared early in the season.

In other words, I think we're looking at another 1st or 2nd round exit.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I expect we sulk and lose tonight, but maybe Holtby keeps em in it.

Neuvy was terrible late last night. So far he's done almost zero to show he can fill in capably. Nobody more disappointed than me. AlwAys been a supporter.

Also thought Carlson showed us why it makes no sense to replace Green with him. Essentially the same end results. Some good play including some offense, followed by terrible play in his own end leading to goals against.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I thought Alzner was worse and that he's looked softer lately. They can sort of get by on D if Alzner is on top of his game but there's a real danger of a go-to Carlzer pairing burning out in key situations if relied upon too much. And they were in this game...

PK TOI on D last night:

Carlson 5:48
Alzner 5:28
Urbom 1:17
Oleksy 1:16
Green 0:00
Schmidt 0:00

That's a lot of hard minutes to put on one D pair. Time to trust 88/52 in all situations if it's something they're actually going to stick with. There's no real reason why that pairing can't kill penalties.

Somewhat related: 12-13 minutes for the third pair in the first of back-to-backs won't cut it either. I get nursing the lead and whatnot but the TOI distribution in both cases was poor.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I thought Alzner was worse and that he's looked softer lately. They can sort of get by on D if Alzner is on top of his game but there's a real danger of a go-to Carlzer pairing burning out in key situations if relied upon too much. And they were in this game...

PK TOI on D last night:

Carlson 5:48
Alzner 5:28
Urbom 1:17
Oleksy 1:16
Green 0:00
Schmidt 0:00

That's a lot of hard minutes to put on one D pair. Time to trust 88/52 in all situations if it's something they're actually going to stick with. There's no real reason why that pairing can't kill penalties.

Somewhat related: 12-13 minutes for the third pair in the first of back-to-backs won't cut it either. I get nursing the lead and whatnot but the TOI distribution in both cases was poor.

Green and Schmidt are probably held out of the PK so they can jump on with L1 when the penalty is over.

Halpysback*

All the more reason to get a guy like fayne for the 3rd pairing and have it eat pk time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad