OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not sure what cut I watched on TNT. Is it better/worse?
Snyder cut is "better" but its definitely still terrible. Far far far too long, with tons of completely unnecessary filler, and tons of decisions made by Snyder purely to drive up internet chatter (like the aspect ratio and releasing a black and white cut).

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Snyder cut is "better" but its definitely still terrible. Far far far too long, with tons of completely unnecessary filler, and tons of decisions made by Snyder purely to drive up internet chatter (like the aspect ratio and releasing a black and white cut).

It's a much better movie, but you're right about the length. So many redundant scenes with the villain giving updates to his boss via Zoom, that weird-ass bit where those ladies serenade Aquaman, what seemed like a half-dozen unnecessary epilogues, and on and on.

If they made that movie to begin with and cut an hour out of it to tighten it up, it probably would have been pretty well-regarded. Definitely the best of the Snyder DC movies, though that isn't saying very much at all. But yeah, The Snyder Cut shines mostly in comparison to the dogshit version Joss Whedon handed in. Judged on its own merits, it's an overlong slog.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Sep 19, 2008
Watching Justice league before the game, never seen it before good god this movie is terrible.
So I've been talking about this in other HF threads, but the Whedon cut is whelming. To my understanding he took the Snyder cut and cropped like 2 hours out of it.

The Snyder Cut is pretty solid. The beginning is boring but the ending is amazing. It's mindblowingly good and I am very loathe to praise Snyder.

I would strongly recommend watching the 4 hour Snyder Cut. It gets tenuous at times but the payoff is worth it

Reactions: max21

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
So I've been talking about this in other HF threads, but the Whedon cut is whelming. To my understanding he took the Snyder cut and cropped like 2 hours out of it.

The Snyder Cut is pretty solid. The beginning is boring but the ending is amazing. It's mindblowingly good and I am very loathe to praise Snyder.

I would strongly recommend watching the 4 hour Snyder Cut. It gets tenuous at times but the payoff is worth it

This is fair, though I think the devil is in the details on this one. It's overlong, but when he was making it he knew it would air on HBO Max, which opened the door to him doing a 6-chapter version with minimal edits that functions more like a TV series. If they'd insisted he make it as a palatable movie, the 4-hour runtime would have been a dealbreaker, he would have had to make cuts, the most obvious cuts (the many redundancies and indulgences, the epilogues that serve no purpose in a story that isn't being continued) add up to about an hour, and it would have tightened up the story and pace dramatically.

It's good as a TV project where Snyder got to do whatever he wanted. It would have been way better if he'd been encouraged to edit it down to reasonable movie length. Way too much fat on that bone.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Rewatching Joker. No idea why this movie gets the amount of hate it does.
Because it's derivative. I don't think it's bad by any means, but it borrows very heavily from not just Taxi Driver but also The King of Comedy. Once again, I don't think it's bad, I just think other movies have done similar things to a higher standard. And because it played things so grounded, it didn't really end up as a "comic book movie" nor a subversive exploration of the possibilities of comic book movies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Anyone watch The last kingdom? Started it last week and now I’m well into season 2. Pretty damn good, it’s like a lower budget GOT. I’m liking the story and characters…

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Just finished watching Severance (a dark office comedy starring Adam Scott on Apple+) the other night. I really love a show with a fun/creative (but also simple) "What if...?" concept. ("What if you could separate your work self from your home self?") All of the world-building + character/plot development that stems from the premise is handled in fun/interesting ways. Also, the show thankfully doesn't get lost up its own conceptual ass: it's easy to follow, and even the thinky parts are laid out clearly. And the last episode was one of the tensest episodes of television I can remember watching recently.

Highest recommendation for anyone who likes weirdo office shows with a heavy dose of 1984/Brazil-esque dystopian oppression.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Anyone watch The last kingdom? Started it last week and now I’m well into season 2. Pretty damn good, it’s like a lower budget GOT. I’m liking the story and characters…
Umm…..one of mine and @usiel favorites…..I still need to watch the last season. Been letting it marinate…..do not want it to end lol….

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013

It's good. One of the seasons was seemed to be a carbon copy of another. I like how a couple of characters went from bad guy, to good guy, and back again.

Reactions: Hivemind and max21

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I haven't watched the latest season (came out about a month ago), but I binged this pretty early on during the pandemic. Not terrific, but it was a worthwhile watch. Better staying power than Vikings, but it does get kinda samey after a while.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I’m fully in now, Alfreds daughter was just captured by the Dane brothers. At this rate I’ll be all caught up by next weekend lol
Yeah love me some TLK. Holding off finishing the current season since its the last (though they announced a TLK movie to finish things up). Books are great also.

Agreed about Severance its worth a watch so far so good interesting premise just a couple of episodes in. Kinda reminded me of Devs early on but its different though with less creepy vibe that devs has which is just a neutral statement.

Finished up a couple of recent SK romantic drama series but don't think anyone here is interested in those, heh.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned The Company of Witches which is on the 3rd season but it is decent (books are decent as well).

Halo eps 3 was aight. Not really familiar with the Halo genre and nothing is exactly original but the back story stuff shows some substance despite plot lines not treading new scifi ground (thats not necessarily required for me to like but when done averagely comes across as derivative.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Oh snap, Netflix has some must watch shows coming out this summer with the end of Ozark, Peaky Blinders and now part 1 to the ending of Stranger things. I’m so ready

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oh snap, Netflix has some must watch shows coming out this summer with the end of Ozark, Peaky Blinders and now part 1 to the ending of Stranger things. I’m so ready
Watched the first episode of Ozark and wasn't hooked. Might come back at some point but I have a bunch of other things in the queue first. Worth the watch? Maybe it was just a bad first impression. I didn't like a single character in the opening episode.

But Peaky, love that show. Season Five's ending was a total bummer though, and I wonder how they manage the real-life death of Helen McCrory... RIP Aunt Polly.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Watched the first episode of Ozark and wasn't hooked. Might come back at some point but I have a bunch of other things in the queue first. Worth the watch? Maybe it was just a bad first impression. I didn't like a single character in the opening episode.

But Peaky, love that show. Season Five's ending was a total bummer though, and I wonder how they manage the real-life death of Helen McCrory... RIP Aunt Polly.
I definitely recommend it if you find the time, season one takes a bit to get its footing but by season 2 you will be hooked and really takes off by the 3rd season. The acting and especially Bateman are great in this show. It’s definitely a good show to watch with your significant other as well

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad