OT: Capitals Cinema Club: TV and Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
New Reacher series was strangely entertaining….one episode I dozed a little, otherwise entertaining.

I enjoyed it. I’ve read all the books and they are what they are and the show hit the mark for the most part.

I very much appreciate the guy playing him fitting his description in the books size wise at least and not having him played by a mighty mite like Tom Cruise.

I also like the story being told over 7-8 hours instead of a 2 hour movie, where so much has to be left out from the book.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yuck. Is that part intended as a compliment because that movie was… not a favorite
Neither a compliment nor an insult. I thought Solo was an okay/good movie. Like a B- or a C+. I have things I can bitch about it, but I didn’t regret seeing it and it had some worthy fanboy moments.

Reactions: HTFN

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I enjoyed it. I’ve read all the books and they are what they are and the show hit the mark for the most part.

I very much appreciate the guy playing him fitting his description in the books size wise at least and not having him played by a mighty mite like Tom Cruise.

I also like the story being told over 7-8 hours instead of a 2 hour movie, where so much has to be left out from the book.

I really dig the Reach series. I remember the disturbance in the force when Tom Cruise was going to play the character in the movies, heh. Would like to check out the book series at some point. I like that actor they got playing Reacher I believe he played what Aquaman in Smallville series on CW. Thought his acting was decent.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Murderville on Netflix is hilarious.

Guest celebrities doing improvised murder investigations alongside regular homicide detective Will Arnett. Conan O'Brian first, Marshawn Lynch second.

They break character and laugh at each other occasionally...
Marshawn Lynch was incredible.

“I can hear you”
“Then act like you can’t… the f***?”

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The reviews for the new Uncharted movie are out. Someone explain to me how Tom Holland ever got to be
a leading man in Hollywood.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Just finished Boba, thought it was ok. Biggest gripes:

Way too many flashbacks
Not enough character development for the new characters due to flash backs and bringing in existing characters
Two episodes were basically about setting up the 3rd season of The Mandalorian

Fennec needs her own series.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just finished Boba, thought it was ok. Biggest gripes:

Way too many flashbacks
Not enough character development for the new characters due to flash backs and bringing in existing characters
Two episodes were basically about setting up the 3rd season of The Mandalorian

Fennec needs her own series.

Well, I mean the flashbacks were entirely all about Boba's character development. How he went from a hired gun to wanting to protect his town, all about how he discovered the importance of belonging to a tribe.

It was a strange format that Boba's own show didn't feature him at all for two episodes, but I think in the end everyone who was watching TBFF was already a huge Mando/Grogu fan, so in the end I was OK with it. And as discussed, it was less about Boba and more about just expanding the entire Star Wars universe between EP 6 and EP 7, which again, I'm OK with.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Just watched the latest Scream movie. It's so bad with the most convoluted storyline yet. Why do they keep making these? And why do I keep watching them?

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Jason Bourne - ho le chit thats a bad movie.

Pride and Prejudice - watched w my lady on valentines, it wasnt bad. First half of the movie it was kinda hard understanding what they were saying bc they spoke a royal english in a witty manner. No titties though.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Tinder Swindler is something else. Ive heard of conmen like the antagonist but this gives you insight into how these guys convince people to give someone they’ve only known a short period of time a lot of money.

It’s like a f***ed up, real life version of the D.E.N.N.I.S. system.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Jason Bourne - ho le chit thats a bad movie.

Pride and Prejudice - watched w my lady on valentines, it wasnt bad. First half of the movie it was kinda hard understanding what they were saying bc they spoke a royal english in a witty manner. No titties though.

Which Pride and Prejudice there are so many adaptations over the years.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
I really dig the Reach series. I remember the disturbance in the force when Tom Cruise was going to play the character in the movies, heh. Would like to check out the book series at some point. I like that actor they got playing Reacher I believe he played what Aquaman in Smallville series on CW. Thought his acting was decent.

My only dig on the Reacher series is that they stretched an entire season over something that was 1 movie / book. Wish they picked different material.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
My only dig on the Reacher series is that they stretched an entire season over something that was 1 movie / book. Wish they picked different material.

Supposedly each season will be a book. That’s what the guy who played Reacher said on Carolla’s podcast anyway.

I thought it worked. 7-8 hours to play out the book seemed about right. I like the books for what they are and enjoyed the first one on Amazon, a whole lot more than the Cruise movies.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I am admittedly more of a fan of series than movies with like probably 90% versus 10% tv series/movies. There has been series I was much more hyped for but promptly struggle to watch more than one episode at a time or I fall asleep. For what it is worth I binged through the first five episodes that night. I believe takes a real good movie to make character behavior believable in the limited time. Reminds me of Jamie Lannister in the Game of Thrones books for the first two book all the interactions with that character he seemed almost like flat classic villain character who was a bit cartoonish until that third book where he got his 1st person chapters which completely made one heads spin to understand his experience/childhood.

Not all books though will be good series. I remember The Firm movie with Cruise always liked it. Later took a shot at the book and hated it thought the movie was way better. One of the few cases where a change in medium didn't favor the original book source material.

Man the money/gamble on the new LOTR series does take some balls of steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca