GDT: Capitals @ Blue Jackets - 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
sgarbossa recalled, also carberry says during pregame interview there is sickness going around so sgarbossa may be in for someone (last part is a guess)

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Ovi's launching bombs but none going in still. At least he gets apples with them!
I wonder if it's his shot quality that has fallen away? He's been getting plenty on goal but maybe they are just not very accurate and goalies are finding them easy to stop?

There is also some data around his shot having lost a few mph, which would definitely make that PP one timer easier for goalies to stop.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I wonder if it's his shot quality that has fallen away? He's been getting plenty on goal but maybe they are just not very accurate and goalies are finding them easy to stop?

There is also some data around his shot having lost a few mph, which would definitely make that PP one timer easier for goalies to stop.

I pulled the most recent data. His shot speed (max, average, over 90 mph) are all in the top 1-10% of the league. It doesn't need to be 90 mph to go in, but he's still launching them.

1703207075933.png

To me, the passes come to him a bit slower than they used to, so the goaltenders have more time to prepare for them.

Carlson and Backstrom use to rifle passes for one timers, but Ovi doesn't seem to be able to connect on those anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlushMinus

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Centre Ice in Canada didn't put the game on the channel they had on the grid until the 1st intermission so I missed the 1st period. Disgusting.

Also Centre Ice in Canada ALWAYS shows the broadcast from only the Caps opponent NEVER Locker and Joe. Disgusting. In prior years you would get both home and way feeds. Rip off
now...

Go Caps.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It seems like the slight decline in shot power is quite a big deal.

A 60 mph shot when the goalie is not ready is far more dangerous than a 100 mph shot when the goalie is set and the angle is closed. He's gotta find a way to surprise them a bit more.

Many other guys in the league don't shoot as hard at all and yet they can score.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
A 60 mph shot when the goalie is not ready is far more dangerous than a 100 mph shot when the goalie is set and the angle is closed. He's gotta find a way to surprise them a bit more.

Many other guys in the league don't shoot as hard at all and yet they can score.
But those guys can puckhandle and they have the speed to get open, and they have shot accuracy.

Ovie doesn't have those things anymore.

CapsCrazyX17

Jun 20, 2003
Washington, DC
We didn’t score but that was the best power play we have had this season. Even Ovi was moving around and winning puck battles. Gotta believe he’ll have a much better second half of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad