GDT: Capitals @ Blue Jackets - 1/17/14 7 PM

alcoraces

Jun 1, 2008
The third CBJ goal and Mike Green's "effort" sums up this team perfectly.

I really think we have a handful of players that care, and most that would rather be elsewhere. Nice culture we have created on this team. Ovechkin takes most of the blame but he has more heart than the rest of the team combined! He tries too hard......understandable though.

champ19

May 1, 2010
i know this is kinda wishful but what potential GM's are out there?

Sergei Federov- Already a GM in the KHL, comes from a championship organization, Detroit, knows what it takes to win on the ice in the NHL, knows what a championship coach looks like and most importantly would get the most out of Ovechkin and Backstrom. Its no coincidence that Ovechkin played his best hockey when Federov was a teammate and a mentor. Even late in his career when his offence declined Federov was still an excellent defensive player . Off all Mcphees blunders not resigning Federov after the 2009 2nd round loss to the Penguins may have been his biggest mistake. The intangibles Federov brought , the cover he could have provided to develop Johansson ,Eakin or Kuznetzov at the center position and the weight of leadership he could have lifted from a young core would have paid dividends years after Federov had retired. Simply put the Capitals need to move on from the McPhees, Oates, Kolzigs and Johanssons ,guys that never got it done and are simply a link to the Capitals past of losing. Just some thoughts.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What was the Kypreos report?
Brought up on Wednesday when talking about Brian Burke's GM search in Calgary if Nieuwendyk turns him down:
"Let's not forget George McPhee in Washington. Yeah, he's been there a while but he is now in the last year of his deal. Does he go to an old buddy that he knows from his Vancouver days in George McPhee? That would be Plan B."

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
i know this is kinda wishful but what potential GM's are out there?

LA, Chicago, and St Louis are all really well run organizations. I'm sure there's someone on one of those management teams who's ready to move up. Well, maybe not St Louis since the Blue Jackets already poached Kekalainen from them. He seems to be doing a good job there, same with Nill in Dallas who they got from Detroit. Bodes well for that strategy as opposed to hiring retreads.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Thanks, didn't know that.

Worked till 3:30AM, did not listen, my wife DVRed it for me... just woke up checked the score... not even gonna bother... hit delete.

So... 2 W in last 10... impressive...

Apparently Urbom was neither slow enough nor handled the puck poorly enough for GM and Oates' liking. He also put shots on net, a big no-no. Seriously though, I thought Urbom was a pretty good 6-7 option. McPhee's cap blunders have pretty much mandated moves like that.

Then again, since I'm not in hockey I'm not qualified to see that we haven't gotten past the 2nd round in the OV era, our defense is a sieve, a Venezia- talented goalie was flipped for a $4 mill contract barely playing, or that our first rounder is being developed into a 4th line goon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad