GDT: Capitals at Devils, 7pm est NJD.TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
if he scores on the power play in the regular season it will be valuable.

Not as valuable as not getting caved in at even strength. A lot of those PP numbers can be replaced by someone else (he isn’t exactly Ovechkin on the PP).

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not as valuable as not getting caved in at even strength. A lot of those PP numbers can be replaced by someone else (he isn’t exactly Ovechkin on the PP).

He generally doesn't get caved as long as he's on the wing. He's entirely meh as a winger and that's perfectly fine

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He generally doesn't get caved as long as he's on the wing. He's entirely meh as a winger and that's perfectly fine

I agree and agree with your previous post. I’m just not going to get excited because he scored a PP goal in the pre-season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He might not be Ovechkin, but he was the most productive player on the PP for NJ last year.

And we need to see how he produces on Nico's wing over a full season. In the limited minutes he played with Nico, Zacha produced at a top line rate.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I agree and agree with your previous post. I’m just not going to get excited because he scored a PP goal in the pre-season.

I agree with not getting too excited because of preseason PP goals. I feel mostly the same way on him that I've been feeling.

I'm really interested in what they end up going with for the PP. Obviously Dougie on the point on PP1. Then I assume Zacha and Hughes as the PP1 half wall guys. Maybe Tatar for the bumper on PP1 (I believe he's generally been a half wall guy but I think he could be good in that spot) and Nico net front? PP2 I wish they'd go with just Smith for the Dmen. Then Holtz and Bratt as the half wall guys. Mercer in the bumper. Wood as the net front? I imagine they'll go with 2D on PP2 though as they usually do. I know some people have penciled in Sharangovich for the PP and it could make sense given his bananas shot but I'm not certain his game translates to the PP

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Just got home from the game, don't know what I can add that hasn't been said about Mercer and Holtz, first time watching Graves closely and was VERY impressed by his game, he's a presence out there and fast, was hitting everything and everyone.

Went in this game rooting for Boqvist to have a big game tonight and it just didn't happen for him, he had the puck on a 2 on 1 when he passed up a shot on ill-advised pass that got broken up, nothing went his way tonight.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
He might not be Ovechkin, but he was the most productive player on the PP for NJ last year.

And we need to see how he produces on Nico's wing over a full season. In the limited minutes he played with Nico, Zacha produced at a top line rate.

And our PP was terrible. Replace him on the PP and how much worse are his replacement’s number in comparison? There is probably a baseline of what an NHL pp produces.

I agree you give him a shot on the wing. But the important metric that Zacha needs to be judged on (no matter where he plays) is 5-on-5.

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
Nico hasn't yet shown he's good enough defensively to be Zajac. I also think he's better offensively than people think (at 5v5 at least) but has never produced all that much on the PP which has held back his pt totals

His lack of 5v5 scoring has also held back his point totals the last two years. He needs to be better.

Reactions: devilsblood

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
18 Definitely. I THINK 10 will be as well.

I'm pretty confident they'll both start. I'm very confident 18 will start and stick. 10 sticking all year or getting sent down at some point if he starts to struggle wouldn't surprise me

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
And our PP was terrible. Replace him on the PP and how much worse are his replacement’s number in comparison? There is probably a baseline of what an NHL pp produces.

I agree you give him a shot on the wing. But the important metric that Zacha needs to be judged on (no matter where he plays) is 5-on-5.
But why would you replace our best guy? Why not replace one of the other guys who weren't as good?

And I'd expect that if the PP improves, then Zacha's #'s improve along with it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Boqvist had a pretty dominant 8-1 corsi tonight, and in his 2 games thus far is posting an impressive 24-8.

Reactions: My3Sons

Derps

Jul 1, 2018
But why would you replace our best guy? Why not replace one of the other guys who weren't as good?

His skill set on the PP requires other players on the PP to be good and they weren't last year. I expect everyone's PP numbers this year to go up significantly.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

I wasn’t necessarily advocating for “replacing him” on the PP. My point was the team had a near baseline PP and someone had to get those points. I expect everyone’s numbers to be better this year with the addition of Hamilton.

The issue for Zacha moving forward is as the team continues to add talent to the roster he could be pushed off the PP. If he doesn’t improve his 5-on-5 game then what value is he to the team? But that is more next year value as I don’t expect the kids to make that push immediately.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I wasn’t necessarily advocating for “replacing him” on the PP. My point was the team had a near baseline PP and someone had to get those points. I expect everyone’s numbers to be better this year with the addition of Hamilton.

The issue for Zacha moving forward is as the team continues to add talent to the roster he could be pushed off the PP. If he doesn’t improve his 5-on-5 game then what value is he to the team? But that is more next year value as I don’t expect the kids to make that push immediately.

I agree. He's definitely got a place for the now. Long term it gets pretty murky as Hughes and Holtz should be the PP1 half wall guys for years to come. I think it could depend on Zacha finding form again on the PK. If he returns to being a high end PK guy and plays on PP2 then I can easily see a spot. If he doesn't and it's just PP2 then I'm not sure

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

He's not getting pushed off the pp anytime soon. Much more likely he leads the team again in PP production.

I also fully expect he will perform quite well on the wing 5v5.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Zacha is a very good Power Play producer, he’s done well on PP for years, starting in 2016-17.

He’s just very good with more open ice, it’s why he’s productive on the PK too and he had two OT goals last season. He has two PP goals this pre-season, I don’t quite understand the skepticism here.

He can score more on a better power play, so his production there should improve this season. Power play goals count the same as 5v5 goals, if he excels more at special teams play, then while he does need to improve 5v5 too, that special teams play does actually mean a lot to his value as a player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sorry guys but the idea of Holtz pushing Zacha off the top pp unit any time soon is just not realistic.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zacha is a very good Power Play producer, he’s done well on PP for years, starting in 2016-17.

He’s just very good with more open ice, it’s why he’s productive on the PK too and he had two OT goals last season. He has two PP goals this pre-season, I don’t quite understand the skepticism here.

He can score more on a better power play, so his production there should improve this season. Power play goals count the same as 5v5 goals, if he excels more at special teams play, then while he does need to improve 5v5 too, that special teams play does actually mean a lot to his value as a player.
Dude's are just crusading.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad