Capitals, as expected, name Todd Reirden head coach

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
This was the right move.

Idk. The Caps sure are doing all the right things this offseason. It’s a shame they can’t keep Beagle.

Top 3 SC favorite next year I’d say.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Dumb question: Does Trotz leaving mean the Caps will need to sell more tickets? Or, does the cup basically ensure they sellout every game next season? I ask because it seemed many fans weren't happy with Trotz leaving.

Reirden as been handed the keys to a Ferrari. Life is good.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Dumb question: Does Trotz leaving mean the Caps will need to sell more tickets? Or, does the cup basically ensure they sellout every game next season? I ask because it seemed many fans weren't happy with Trotz leaving.

I don't think Trotz will have any effect on ticket sales. Team just won a cup and brought back most of the team and has had quite a good offseason so far.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

The management and players have been doing full court press about how much they love Reirden and how he did all the Xs and Os during the playoffs everyone knows it was Trotz or Reirden. I'm guessing the fans will buy it since they signed Carlson, Kempny and DSP as long as the caps don't be f***ing suck next year.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is good news. I would’ve been happy if Trotz has stayed (well, not for 5yrs), but I think Reirden is a great teacher and coach. Hopefully he can handle the limelight and responsibility of the top guy.

I think he can. Obviously so does GMBM

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
I really think the Hunter hire was purely to send Ovie a message. "You can get a coach fired, but you can't pick who I replace him with. Have a 30 goal season and get screamed at by a guy that doesn't care if you live or die, and when he wants your opinion, he'll give it to you." Other than that, yes. Seemed like pandering to the fans to sell tix.

If that is the case then GMGM should have been fired long before he was. I don't believe that is the case though.
"The right coach was never available."
"Nobody wanted the job."
"I wasn't allowed to spend enough money to get a proven coach"
"I was intent on wasting as many of Ovechkins primes years as I could."
"I'm an *** ****"
etc etc.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I would have rather kept Trotz.

It worked out for all parties. Trotz got the contract he was never going to get (and shouldn't have gotten) in Washington, the Islanders get a good coach to help revitalize a struggling franchise, and the Capitals get to promote the guy they have been grooming to be head coach for a few years.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It worked out for all parties. Trotz got the contract he was never going to get (and shouldn't have gotten) in Washington, the Islanders get a good coach to help revitalize a struggling franchise, and the Capitals get to promote the guy they have been grooming to be head coach for a few years.
I'd still rather have Trotz as the coach.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Reirden weirds me out whenever I’ve seen him interviewed. But congrats, hopefully Teddy Leonis tells him to just get rid of that patch field on the top of his head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad