Capital Dominance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
If you factor out the playoff choke reputation, where do this year's Caps compare to other dominant teams (regular season) of recent years?

12-13 Chicago Blackhawks
10-11 Vancouver Canucks
05-06 Detroit Red Wings

lesser degree
06-07 Anaheim Ducks
09-10 Washington Capitals
12-13 Pittsburgh Penguins

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If you factor out the playoff choke reputation, where do this year's Caps compare to other dominant teams (regular season) of recent years?

12-13 Chicago Blackhawks
10-11 Vancouver Canucks
05-06 Detroit Red Wings

lesser degree
06-07 Anaheim Ducks
09-10 Washington Capitals
00s Ottawa Senators

12-13 the pens were just as impressive.

06-07 why was the 4th best team the most dominant team?

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
12-13 the pens were just as impressive.

06-07 why was the 4th best team the most dominant team?

Fixed it. Had to include them because that team was bloody stacked. Neidermayer and Pronger on the blueline for the same team? How did the opponents even gain the blue line? :laugh:

But I did take them out because the Red Wings were indeed better that year upon further research.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I wonder how many 'lets see come playoff time' comments this thread will get. Shall we start a sweepstake?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They were insane last season as well.

we will see how things play out but the Caps really lost their edge after they had two games postponed because of the blizzard. They were really pretty average in March and April. Meanwhile Pittsburgh had the best second half record in the league. Even with that they were the only team that really challenged Penguins in the playoffs. They lost a series between a 1 and 2 seed with 3 games in OT.

Lets see what happens after this goofy streak ends. If the Caps maintain their goals against play, then I would not be asking to play them in the playoffs.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
They have 6 points more than the second ranked team in the league with 2 more games.

And that's a stat taken at the peak of an insane hot streak they're riding.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You know, the one where they score 5+ goals for 11 straight home games.

what does that really have to do with anything? Holtby is currently on a 20-2-2 streak.
yea, whoopee about all the goals, but its not like it came out of nowhere. edit: the caps are 30-4-4 since the first week of December

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"If you factor out the playoff choke reputation"

Ask yourself, "is this the thread for me?"

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
the caps are 30-4-4 since the first week of December

Yep, and it took such a streak to get ahead by a total of 6 points in the standings. And those 6 points will be diminished when Minnesota play their games in hand.

You can talk about the Caps' dominance when they either A) run a little cold again or B) when the season ended.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Yep, and it took such a streak to get ahead by a total of 6 points in the standings. And those 6 points will be diminished when Minnesota play their games in hand.

You can talk about the Caps' dominance when they either A) run a little cold again or B) when the season ended.

Wild kind of benefits from the fact that they are the only elite team within their conference.

They play against elite teams less than 10 times in a season.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
Wild kind of benefits from the fact that they are the only elite team within their conference.

They play against elite teams less than 10 times in a season.

right. the Metro is stacked, and they are still dominating it. the OP asked how this team compares to previous Caps teams and other dominant regular-season efforts:

Caps 2009-2010:
318 goals for
233 goals against
+85 goal differential
121 points

Caps 2015-2016:
252 goals for
193 goals against
+59 goal differential
120 points

Caps 2016-2017 (current pace) :
281 goals for
177 goals against
+103 goal differential
123 points

they are ahead of last year's pace in every category, and ahead of 2009-2010 team in every category except total goals scored.

the 2012-2013 season was only 48 games long, but if you normalize that year's Penguins stats for a full season, they look like this:
276 goals for
203 goals against
+73 goal differential
123 points

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
If you just look at gpg differential, they are at 1.32 right now. To find a more dominant season you have to go back to the 1995 Red Wings.
Now everyone is going to want to bring up the playoffs, but that was not the criteria... GPG differential is the best simple stat to show dominance

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I see them winning the cup this year. Without changes, i don't see any team beating them in a best of 7.

It's their year for sure

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
Hopefully the time off doesn't derail the capitals. They were very average after playing one game in around 2 weeks last year. They gave up the first goal in games last year all the time, there was a streak where it was like 15 out of 17 (not the exact numbers but it was something like this) they gave up the first goal after that break. They were also lazy defensively and gave up ridiculous goals when leading not finishing out games. Holtby only had a handful of shutouts while this year he already has 7. Secondary scoring is the key, it always vanishes for us in the playoffs. This year we are getting a lot more scoring out of bottom 6.

But it all comes down to the playoffs. Hopefully the hockey Gods will cut them a break and the Rangers will finish Wild Card 1 going to the Atlantic division and the blue jackets eliminate the Pens. The capitals just have to get past the 2nd round, I feel if/when they do the albatross around their neck will finally be gone and Ovie will get to raise a cup or two. That 2nd round curse is so huge though and throw in the Pens owning us in the playoffs, I fear if we play them again this year it will be another Pens in 6. It's really a shame, the caps have had great teams for a decade and nothing to show for it. It's gone from disappointing to angering to rage inducing to complete joke. Hopefully this will be the year.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
I think dominating in the regular season can be a detriment to your team sometimes. I know that sounds kind of stupid. But the Blackhawks in 12-13 (lockout year), they never were really challenged until that Detroit series where they were down 3-1 in the series. 2nd half of that season the Hawks were coasting so even their losses weren't really something to take home about to learn from. When they played Detroit, they had to find some mental fortitude to come back. I'm not sure how many teams have that, if this Caps team even has that, but we'll find out this April/May. I just know that in the playoffs, you're going to be challenged, no matter how good you are. So just dominating the regular season doesn't really mean squat. It's usually what your team is able to do in those situations that aren't looking good in the playoffs.

USAUSA1

Dec 1, 2016
If they don't make it to the conference finals, something have to change. Maybe a trade, they have impressive pieces to make a big trade.

I still think Minnesota and Chicago are better teams.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
They were the closest team to beating the Penguins last year and easily could have with a couple bounces. The Capitals are a legit team and could easily win the cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad