Capgeek ceases operations

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It definitely seems odd to just shut it down permanently while simultaneously not being open to selling or entrusting it to others, but given the circumstances I guess I could see what might be going on.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'd say give him time. Obviously whatever he is going through is incredibly serious and I'm sure he's got a ton on his plate. I'd expect him to do something about selling the website or whatnot at some point down the road, but clearly that is not his first priority right now and understandably so.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
One of the articles I read mentioned that he has his own sources for getting/confirming the contract info/amounts, since I don't believe the league and/or teams release that info for the most part.

If that's true, he is pretty much the business which would partly explain the lack of interest in "selling" it since, he can't if he's unwell.

Hopefully he gets better regardless of what happens to capgeek.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Someone will make a new site and profit which is unfortunate for the the capgeek owner that his health is the leading cause to this. He should have sold the site to the highest bidder. Even if the worst case scenario is your dying and there's no cure, at least you can leave money to your next of kin or family.
Sometimes you have to turn off the lights, lock the door behind you, and leave a legacy intact.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
One of the articles I read mentioned that he has his own sources for getting/confirming the contract info/amounts, since I don't believe the league and/or teams release that info for the most part.

If that's true, he is pretty much the business which would partly explain the lack of interest in "selling" it since, he can't if he's unwell.

Hopefully he gets better regardless of what happens to capgeek.

That's true. Some teams have started to release that information BECAUSE of Capgeek, but the fact is he's been as successful as he has been because he earned the trust of a LOT of people to provide him accurate contract information. Not easy to do.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Someone will make a new site and profit which is unfortunate for the the capgeek owner that his health is the leading cause to this. He should have sold the site to the highest bidder. Even if the worst case scenario is your dying and there's no cure, at least you can leave money to your next of kin or family.

A few points:
1. Part of the value of capgeek was the contract breakdown, which he was able to obtain via connections. Those connections wouldn't come with the site
2. He may have a different plan on what to do the site branding, the data, or the codebase.
3. He may not trust someone else to follow through with whatever his wishes are. Or it could be a very very bad situation and his estate is given instructions on what to do with it through a will.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I have to imagine given the amount of traffic and utility there is, someone or some group of people will take over operation/outright purchase the site.

My gut feeling is the nhl did that and then take it internal to the nhl. We have seen it happen with other dates sites used for reference.

I do think someone will recreate the site.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He has a main source.

He can't sell the site because he can't sell the source.

Certainly would make sense. I never considered that the site had an inside source but thinking back it would probably have to in order to do what it does as quickly as it does.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He has a main source.

He can't sell the site because he can't sell the source.

I would imagine it's either in the league office or with the NHLPA.

Hopefully, he gets well. The rest of us can go back to using our fingers and toes.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
My gut feeling is the nhl did that and then take it internal to the nhl. We have seen it happen with other dates sites used for reference.

I do think someone will recreate the site.

There isn't a single piece of information on that website that the NHL doesn't already have.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If the site isn't back up and running then we should make a thread and sticky with the current cap situation and the add and remove Sabre contracts as we hear of them. The only hard part would be finding ELC contract numbers because they range from where your drafted it seems like. Just for personal reference around this board.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=5087

CapGeek's wealth of salary-cap information was missed the moment the website was shut down, but no more than this time of year. And it’s not just by media and fans. This resource was used by everyone in hockey. On Thursday, I sent out a tweet mentioning that the fantastic folks at war-on-ice.com were working on their version of a CapGeek replacement. Shortly after, I received a text from a GM excited about the possibility of a new CapGeek. Teams have access to all the data, but nothing that was as user-friendly as CapGeek. If there’s a group of minds that can get it right, it’s A.C. Thomas and the rest of the war-on-ice.com crew.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The one thing cap gerk seemed to lack....unless it was somewhere buried...was more data on the player like which way they shoot, can't recall if they Han height and bait

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I don't know why people don't use spotrac I love it and just as good as capgeek was. Has all other major sports too so it's fun to be able to look at the Bills and Sabres cap on the same site.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't know why people don't use spotrac I love it and just as good as capgeek was. Has all other major sports too so it's fun to be able to look at the Bills and Sabres cap on the same site.

Strictly for hockey, it's not as complete as Capgeek and the interface isn't quite as good but it is a great tool. That it has other sports is great because other sports never had a site as good as Capgeek that I'm aware of.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Honestly not surprised.

Capgeek made itself too useful to too many people to simply vanish and not have something come in to fill the void.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Here's the link to the cap tool hockeybuzz launched: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/

Just took a quick glance, but it appears to have all the same information capgeek did. We'll see if it remains accurate once there's new information to add this summer (because does hockeybuzz actually have any legit sources?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad