Capgeek ceases operations

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
If it's serious enough to shut the entire site down permanently, it can't be good.

All the best and thanks for the site and the time you put in it.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Awesome resource. Will be sorely missed.

C Note

Jan 31, 2014
Noooooooooo :( :(

So useful. Probably my favorite hockey site.

Smallest silver lining ever: maybe now people will knock it off with the salary floor nonsense because they'll have no idea how close or far Buffalo is from it.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Absolute shame. Labor of love is right. Can't think of another sports site more universally useful to fans to team executives. Hope all turns out well for Matt but gut says things are pretty bad.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sad on 3 fronts:
The sheer utility of the site as an aid to so many.
The fact the site is so dependent on a singular individual.
What must be very serious / tragic medical situation.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I have to imagine given the amount of traffic and utility there is, someone or some group of people will take over operation/outright purchase the site.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Looks like it could be serious but whatever the issue is hopefully he pulls through it.

Does this mean the GMs/staffers will have to do their own cap calculations? Someone is going to make a mistake and end up being four or five million over/under the cap.

You know the old saying, you don't know what you got 'til it's gone...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Looks like it could be serious but whatever the issue is hopefully he pulls through it.

Does this mean the GMs/staffers will have to do their own cap calculations? Someone is going to make a mistake and end up being four or five million over/under the cap.

Ha. Almost all front offices have their own internal numbers and an employee whose job it is to make sure everything adds up. I'm sure capgeek was used as a quick reference, however.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

You mean exactly what they were already doing?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Hope he is okay, terrible way to begin a year

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BUF?year=2015 is still around tho

I've used this site for a while and find it easier to read, but it doesn't have the team building functions that many think are pretty cool. Though as a 40 year-old, I still find it just as easy to use a scratch pad to mess around. One legit problem is that under "cap hit", a player on an ELC has their signing bonus added in to the figure when it should not be. That's screwed up my calculations a few times.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The no purchase inquiries thing is weird. Like, I get that maybe you're sick and don't want to work about money stuff now, but appoint someone else to do it. Otherwise, you're saying it's a permanent shutdown, someone else is going to have to rebuild it and will, and you're out any recompense for a huge labor.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I've used this site for a while and find it easier to read, but it doesn't have the team building functions that many think are pretty cool. Though as a 40 year-old, I still find it just as easy to use a scratch pad to mess around. One legit problem is that under "cap hit", a player on an ELC has their signing bonus added in to the figure when it should not be. That's screwed up my calculations a few times.

Doesn't eklund own nhlnumbers now?

I haven't been to that site in a long time (thank you cap geek), back in the day it was terrible

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Someone will make a new site and profit which is unfortunate for the the capgeek owner that his health is the leading cause to this. He should have sold the site to the highest bidder. Even if the worst case scenario is your dying and there's no cure, at least you can leave money to your next of kin or family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad