Capgeek ceases operations

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He has a main source.

He can't sell the site because he can't sell the source.

The web site design is the deal. He could still sell the model and then they have to get the data from his source...or other sources.

There isn't a single piece of information on that website that the NHL doesn't already have.

Capgeek has a far better design than other sites plus it had that planning tool for next years team. With website design you can't have a copycat because of trademark and copyright rules.

It doesn't make sense as to why he doesn't sell it to one of these other companies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Here's the link to the cap tool hockeybuzz launched: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/

Just took a quick glance, but it appears to have all the same information capgeek did. We'll see if it remains accurate once there's new information to add this summer (because does hockeybuzz actually have any legit sources?)

Taking a quick look, it's missing a lot of the detail that capgeek had. While there is a year-to-year salary breakdown for contracts, in addition to just cap hit, which is certainly useful, there's no indication of signing bonuses that I can see. For example, when I look at Columbus, I see no way to see a specific breakdown of David Clarkson's contract, with the signing bonuses included. While this may seem like a minor issue, signing bonuses are very important when it comes to trying to calculate a buy-out as shown here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nd-his-buyout-proof-contract/article17783243/ Signing bonuses are also included in ELCs and are important when it comes to calculating changing cap hits on sliding contracts and calculating qualifying offers for players coming off of ELCs. Specific information of this variety was part of what made Capgeek so valuable

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Rest in Peace.

He made something so previously unavailable and boring and made it open and fun. I truly believe he changed how people view the game more than anyone else in a long time.

ZeroPT*

god damn onions...

RIP. Thoughts and prayers to his family. Special man who created a special tool.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Bummer (no pun intended). Sad to see the hockey world lose a young person who did so much for so many out of his love for the game. I know and accept these things happen, but it still makes me think of those I know first and second-hand who died too young.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Never really used the site as I don't really follow that side of the game but sad to see someone so passionate about the game pass.

RIP

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
What a beauty. CapGeek was amazing. And there's something to be said about how he refused to sell his baby. I'm sure he was offered a lot of money for it but he wanted to make sure it stayed the way he wanted. Prayers for his family.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad