Salary Cap: Capageddon 2016

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
One of Stoner or Bieksa is likely to be moved before that happens. I think its very likely Stoner is moved at the deadline or this offseason.

Honestly, I don't think that happens at all. I don't see any team would want highly overpaid 6th/7th defensemen.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Wouldn't we rather sign him to a 4 year deal for around 4 or 4.5 million, which when expired, he would still be a RFA? As opposed to a 2 year bridge deal for less money now, but more money later, and would lead to him being an UFA 2 years sooner.

I wouldn't. You're assuming he's already earned $4-$4.5 and will only command more later. I want a lesser 2 year bridge and have him prove himself over a longer time. If he earns the bigger contract, great, I'm comfortable with that. But if he stumbles like Silf has we can't afford to be spending that much and still needing more offense. I'm more comfortable going the bridge route.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Honestly, I don't think that happens at all. I don't see any team would want highly overpaid 6th/7th defensemen.

Stoner would probably attract interest around free agency, if teams are looking for a a gritty bottom pairing guy but don't want to commit longer-term. I could see Florida, who wanted him in 2014, being in on that.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Wouldn't we rather sign him to a 4 year deal for around 4 or 4.5 million, which when expired, he would still be a RFA? As opposed to a 2 year bridge deal for less money now, but more money later, and would lead to him being an UFA 2 years sooner.

Pretty sure a 4 year deal would bring him to UFA. Teams are guarenteed 7 years of service before UFA for a player. ELC is 3 years, so his next contract, if a bridge deal, should be 2-3 years. Otherwise we should be going for 5-6, if we are confident in his abilities at given price point.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Assume he's worth $2.75M on a 2 year bridge deal (in the ballpark of what Schwartz and Toffoli got). By adding on another 2 years and having the average hit at $4M you would be paying him $10.5M over the last 2 years of that contract. That's a lot to give an RFA with zero leverage.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
One of Stoner or Bieksa is likely to be moved before that happens. I think its very likely Stoner is moved at the deadline or this offseason.

A Stoner buyout is also something we have to consider at this point. I know we're a budget team and we haven't been keen on buyouts before, but getting rid of Stoner that way would give us almost $2.2 million in cap/salary savings (16-17 AND 17-18 seasons). IF somebody's willing to take him, then that's even better, but the buyout is also not a bad move for us.

I'm very torn on what to do with Maroon. On the other hand, he's a useful depth guy to have, but I also wouldn't lose sleep if we dealt him and his $2 million AAV somewhere else. I guess we have to wait and see what we do with Perron. I do know that we shouldn't keep Maroon as a 4th liner, as he's just too expensive there. IMO Wagner is ready to step up as the 4th line RW.

If we deal Vatanen for Tatar+ next offseason, we add another skilled top6 winger. We also save a bit by not having to extend Vatanen. Not sure what to do with Perron though - if he's willing to stay for cheap, I'd welcome him back for another season, but I wouldn't lose sleep if he signed for big bucks elsewhere.

I also think we have to deal Freddy for something that doesn't cost that much. Maybe to Toronto for a bunch of picks, who knows? We also need to replace him, I'd look at Reimer, Rämo and Carter Hutton as possible backups for Gibson.

I wonder if a roster like this would be a possibility for us to start next season, assuming extensions to Rakell and Lindholm:

"Perron"/Maroon - Getz - Tatar
Ritchie - Rakell - Perry
Cogs - Kesler - Silf
Garbutt - Thompson - Wagner

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Bieksa
Despres - Theodore (OR Theodore - Despres)

Gibson
"Rämö"

+ the Gulls

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Buying Stoner out likely isn't necessary. It's over 4 years, but it would cost over $4 million. Retaining money on him would be cheaper and over a shorter term. I'm not even sure it would come to that, but if it is, a buyout likely isn't the way to go.

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Maata just signed an extension with the Pens for 6 years at a 4.083m AAV.

I'm beginning to think Rutherford exists to make Bob Murray's life a little easier.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Buying Stoner out likely isn't necessary. It's over 4 years, but it would cost over $4 million. Retaining money on him would be cheaper and over a shorter term. I'm not even sure it would come to that, but if it is, a buyout likely isn't the way to go.

Yeah, you're right, salary retention should be explored first. We could retain up to $1 million and it'd still be cheaper than the buyout. Might even get something in return for him at that price.

EDIT:

I'm beginning to think Rutherford exists to make Bob Murray's life a little easier.

It's a good sign, but we're not out of the woods yet.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009

That's a fantastic contract for us to use as a comparable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad