Salary Cap: Cap talk as the deadline hits

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I just was looking at the bruins cap situation next year if we get rid of david backes/zdeno chara/and kevan miller

im giving McAvoy a long term deal at 6 mill... carlo at 5 mill... Heinen a shorter deal at 3 mill... donato resigns at 1 mill... accari at 1 mill {if you think those deals are high then just subtract from my total... no problem}

we have a little over 3 mill in retained salary/buyout money... this money is available to pay debrusk next season as it will be off the books

we have just over 71 mill spent on the following 22 man lineup with just the second line center spot unaccounted for...

Heinen/Bergeron/marchand [heres hoping that Heinen fits here]

pastrnak/X/debrusk [krecji hasn't fit with debrusk so moving him down to create a third line]

Bjork/krejci/cehlarik{substitute whatever kids you want for Bjork/cehlarik if someone else is better... doesn't change the cap any}

wagner/kuraly/Nordstrom

accari/donato {again sub whatever kid is playing well in ahl for donato… doesn't matter}

McAvoy/moore {maybe grez can play with McAvoy?}
carlo/krug {with carlo getting stronger lets hope he can carry krug}
Urho/grezlyck/lauzon {not sure which of these guys can play the right side}

rask
halak

the nhl is leaking out rumors they expect the cap to possibly be 82 mill or more next year... if this is an accurate number we have over 10 mill to afford a new center. maybe bring chara back for around 2 mill to play in the bottom pair if he will accept the pay cut still gives us 8 mill for the center.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

so the info I have above is just some factual examination of the cap situation... the free money im talking
about is dependent on moving backes/miller. if they stay they will eat up the free money. I am counting on them getting moved {we might get stuck with backes signing bonus in which case our free money isn't quite so high}

the real reason im taking the time to talk about this... is that it appears we could actually get Duchene and sign him. the logical number for Duchene is around around the 8x8 that ryan johanson got in Nashville. the rumor is Ottawa is offering him 8 x 8 so they must think its the right number.

it might seem odd that we would pay him more than Bergeron/marchand/pastrnak but these guys want to win. we aren't going to get a better center unless we pay. I am going to suggest that Duchene and his style will fit pastrnak/debrusk better than krejci does. we can afford to keep both Duchene AND krejci by my plans... this can give us a HUGE UPGRADE for the 3rd line but imho just as big of an upgrade for the second line too... and it might only be a minor dropoff for the first line which should improve defensively subbing Heinen for pastrnak.

im speculating a lot here... not everyone will agree but you can all plug your own people into the slots.

my main point is we could have around 10 mill to upgrade the team {needing only a second line center to complete the 23 man roster} as long as we move miller/chara/backes.

so I will have some fun here and say... yes we should trade for matt Duchene. I have probably mentioned at last 15 other trade possibilities that id be ok with but there is only 1 'star level' center on the market. we have the cap room to resign him. I think we have to pay more than a typical rental would cost to convince Ottawa to trade within the division.

Zack senyshyn
jacob zboril
and a conditional pick in 2022 based on how well Duchene has scored for boston the next 2 seasons

this trade wouldn't really hurt that bad... if someone would have told you we could get Duchene for those 2 picks on draft day you would have jumped for it. if anything, the kids have been slow to develop since that time. they might bust. Duchene probably will never be a superstar but he is a star... he wont bust.

our future cap would look ok with him too... krejci can be moved if we run into cap problems. we will likely have the money needed to sign krug/debrusk if the cap is going up the way dom and others have predicted. we might be able to keep krejci when he hits ufa since its a given he would be signing for less at that age. but, remember we have federic/studnicka/jfk all in the pipeline so we might simply deal off krejci once his ntc opens up.

if grez deserves a raise on his next deal... hes expendable. Urho/lauzon both look like guys I want to see in the lineup

I can easily envision a d core of
McAvoy/Urho
carlo/lauzon
moore/krug
in a couple years time
that's a fast puck skilled d that is built for the new NHL style

we got the assets to make this happen... we got the cap space too... im not even saying we MUST get rid of chara {although he would have to take a huge discount to return}

I suggest we try to trade miller as soon as possible if we decide to go in this direction. I feel he would have
significant value at the trade deadline as opposed to the offseason. I think we might have to hold onto backes until his signing bonus is paid.

if people are going to suggest to bring in other players with huge contracts... I for one would like to see how they plan to make the cap work. I hope the mods will allow this thread for those of us interested in cap management. its a real thing.

I also would love to see what people are predicting as new deals for our ufa/rfa… I will show mine again

McAvoy 7 x 6 {gets more because he agrees to term}
carlo 5 x 4
Heinen 3 x 3 {is a risky deal but in arbitration he will build a case for 3}
donato 1 x qualifier {will be a 1 way contract}
accari 2 x .900k {give the warrior an extra year but keep the $ low enough we can bury in ahl)

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Acciari is not getting re signed

nor should he

I'd be very surprised if Acciari isn't re-signed. The B's LOVE their crash and bang 4th line. Cassidy loves it. And for some reason, they play their best hockey with Acciari in the middle.

Cassidy doesn't seem interested in experimenting with other centers there so it seems unlikely we're ever going to see if that line could be even more effective with a Frederic or someone else in the middle.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'd be very surprised if Acciari isn't re-signed. The B's LOVE their crash and bang 4th line. Cassidy loves it. And for some reason, they play their best hockey with Acciari in the middle.

Cassidy doesn't seem interested in experimenting with other centers there so it seems unlikely we're ever going to see if that line could be even more effective with a Frederic or someone else in the middle.
think they can find another banger and crasher who can contribute more than Acciari offensively. I know he`s not there to pop 30 pts but that 4th line up to tonight, really doesn`t produce much

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Sweeney is out of his mind if Carlo gets 5. Salary is largely measured in points even for defencemen, and he has 25 points in 206 career NHL games. Best bet would be to give him a 2 year bridge contract.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
How are you proposing to get rid of Backes and Miller?

im not suggesting there would be a ton coming back... miller would play on most teams top 5... right hand shot bigger guys that can skate are valued around the nhl. I mean mcquad got dealt right?

as for backes… once his signing bonus is paid he becomes quite a desirable contract for bottom feeder teams. they have a very hard time getting good quality vets who can help their kids play at low REAL DOLLARS. Now he might put all those teams on his ntc list and try to stay... but I think he will probably want to go to a team in a city he will enjoy. im going to bet he will welcome a trade to a team like Arizona or florida or Anaheim. I just doubt we would expect to get much back.

anyhow... caphit ONLY matters to teams that are planning to spend to the cap. Other teams will care about real money spent and he doesn't make much for what he brings. Bruin fans judge him harshly and unfairly with a bias only because of his capnumber but hes still quite a serviceable player... plays strong defense... hits... is on pace for around 35-40 points over a full season... for a couple million dollars that's quite a good value.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Sweeney is out of his mind if Carlo gets 5. Salary is largely measured in points even for defencemen, and he has 25 points in 206 career NHL games. Best bet would be to give him a 2 year bridge contract.

I inversed the numbers in the post... I will edit that so it doesn't continue to cause confusion

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agree
Unless he based it on Carlo’s first 3 shifts last night which may be the best 3 he ever strings together

It was like watching Larry Robinson 1977

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Kind of think McAvoy and Carlo would be ok with bridge deals no?

Heinen too for that matter.

McAvoy 2 years 4 per
Carlo 2 years 4 per
Heinen 2 years 2 per

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Kind of think McAvoy and Carlo would be ok with bridge deals no?

Heinen too for that matter.

McAvoy 2 years 4 per
Carlo 2 years 4 per
Heinen 2 years 2 per

I've estimated $10M/yr combined for McAvoy and Carlo. We'll see how far off I am.

I wouldn't bridge Carlo at such a high number, but I do think a bridge deal would be beneficial. McAvoy is a guy I'd like to see what it would take to lock him up long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad