News Article: Cap Moving Forward

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think if we somehow end up trading Mitchy...AM is gone. I don't know where he would go..but I think the pressure of the media focusing on him if we still have the same cycle of losing in the 1st rd (or 2nd at most) will make him think of leaving. Maybe he realizes that money is not going to do much for him if people will always have a "..but he never won a cup" thought in the back of their head. I do think if he had some success with Mitch that he would probably stay...but that depends on them.
....so winning will keep him basically, regardless of who he plays with? That would make sense, I can't see people sticking around with ~8 playoff years with 0-1 rounds won.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I made an edit so it wasn't interpreted as "want" to trade him

"Let me rephrase that.........Why wouldn't you explore what the return would be?"

Personally, I would be more motivated and curious to see what I could surround Matthews with to get him over the hump. Not get a return that I would then pair with the remaining Nylander, Tavares and Marner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think if we somehow end up trading Mitchy...AM is gone. I don't know where he would go..but I think the pressure of the media focusing on him if we still have the same cycle of losing in the 1st rd (or 2nd at most) will make him think of leaving. Maybe he realizes that money is not going to do much for him if people will always have a "..but he never won a cup" thought in the back of their head. I do think if he had some success with Mitch that he would probably stay...but that depends on them.

I would hope Batman doesn’t make decisions based on what happens to Robin. But if we play along with the narrative that the dynamic duo is joined at the hip like the Sedin twins, maybe an organization is better off making personnel decisions for the good of the team and not based on the special interest of making a small number of core players happy.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
....so winning will keep him basically, regardless of who he plays with? That would make sense, I can't see people sticking around with ~8 playoff years with 0-1 rounds won.

I think so...I just think if he is here and not winning and his buddy got booted out of town...he leaves first chance he gets. Some team like LA might break the bank for a guy with Mexican heritage.

I would start talking to him about a contract 6 months before the NMC kicks in. If he doesn't give you a vibe that he is serious about signing a year from UFA...you trade him. You just cannot take the chance that he walks for nothing...especially if we are still crying about not winning any series by that time.

Reactions: LeafsRus

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I would hope Batman doesn’t make decisions based on what happens to Robin. But if we play along with the narrative that the dynamic duo is joined at the hip like the Sedin twins, maybe an organization is better off making personnel decisions for the good of the team and not based on the special interest of making a small number of core players happy.

Oh I agree with you on that 100%. The issue to me is...neither one of these guys cared about sucking up so much of the cap and handicapping themselves going forward...what would make that change?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh I agree with you on that 100%. The issue to me is...neither one of these guys cared about sucking up so much of the cap and handicapping themselves going forward...what would make that change?

I think the popular idea in Toronto is you make a great hockey trade with Mitch and you build it back better and stronger with the flexibility. If we win, it will be such a natural fit for Matthews to come back.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think so...I just think if he is here and not winning and his buddy got booted out of town...he leaves first chance he gets. Some team like LA might break the bank for a guy with Mexican heritage.

I would start talking to him about a contract 6 months before the NMC kicks in. If he doesn't give you a vibe that he is serious about signing a year from UFA...you trade him. You just cannot take the chance that he walks for nothing...especially if we are still crying about not winning any series by that time.
Think he's happy sticking around with Marner here and continuing to lose? I don't.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Think he's happy sticking around with Marner here and continuing to lose? I don't.

Doubtful that he would stay under those circumstances for sure...I just hope he stays and is a bit more humble on his next contract...that's all. What can you buy with $18M a year that you can't buy with $12m?

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
It sounds like something made up by the media TBH. Guys are going to have friends when they play on a hockey team. It's not unusual.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Personally, I would be more motivated and curious to see what I could surround Matthews with to get him over the hump. Not get a return that I would then pair with the remaining Nylander, Tavares and Marner.

Sure, that works too. I'm not saying AM34 needs to go by any stretch of the imagination. (but some can't read for context)
My point was to illustrate there should be no sacred cows given the position the team finds itself in.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sure, that works too. I'm not saying AM34 needs to go by any stretch of the imagination. (but some can't read for context)
My point was to illustrate there should be no sacred cows given the position the team finds itself in.

For me, Auston Matthews is a sacred cow even if I'm pretty pissed at how the season ended. There's about 2.5x players I would trade Auston Matthews for based on age, position and upside: Connor McDavid. Nathan Mackinnon. And maybe Cale Makar, but I don't like the idea of taking a center (that we waited 8 years after the Sundin departure to draft) and convert into a defenseman. Everything else in terms of 2 for 1's, 3 for 1's, packages, I don't really need to hear it.

I'd listen, but I wouldn't be very interested.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014

Everyone always says that the team trading the best player loses the deal. I doubt very much that the Avalanche win without Ricci, Forsberg etc for Lindros... I agree with you though...if you get an offer that knocks you over...you think seriously about it. Saying otherwise would be failing to do your job as GM.

Reactions: egd27

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
WE CAN AND WE WILL

9eO5yhb.png
SUCK IN THE PLAYOFFS.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
AM is gone anyway. I have always believed this.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
maybe Vegas.
Three California teams, LA, SJ, Anaheim are all on the downside right now.
If these teams concentrate on drafting and developing for 3 years, moving off the rest of players at some point, a Getzlaf, Doughty, Karlsson or Burns, they should all have good cap space and building prospects to take a run at any of our UFAs and bid higher for just one and not 4.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Vegas is my prediction where AM goes when he hits ufa. Patioretty and r.smith will be off the books by then.

Reactions: egd27

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
from the article, only because I have a feeling most of you won't actually read it thoroughly

scary, even scarier is that the agents in their greed never fully explain this to the player's, commissions seemingly always come first

Even worse is that the players capped escrow.

2020-21, 20%
2021-22, 14-18%
2022-23, 10%
2023-24, 6%
2024-25, 6%
2025-26, 6%

I honestly believe they had no idea what they were doing and just signed on the dotted line. Should've taken a salary rollback, like after the 04-05 lockout.

The cap will basically be frozen for the duration of 16/34/88/91's contracts.

Last edited:

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Given the reality of the situation, any intelligent person would adjust and try to offload a massively inflated contract that has paid more $$ out than cap hit remains to a team not struggling against the ceiling. The odd man out is obviously Marner so of course the Leafs will instead continue to surround the core with plugs like Engvall, Simmonds, Thronton and Mikheyev. Dark days ahead.

Reactions: Trapper
Sep 18, 2009
Given the reality of the situation, any intelligent person would adjust and try to offload a massively inflated contract that has paid more $$ out than cap hit remains to a team not struggling against the ceiling. The odd man out is obviously Marner so of course the Leafs will instead continue to surround the core with plugs like Engvall, Simmonds, Thronton and Mikheyev. Dark days ahead.
so wjhy eveyrone olo love this contrct wahwne it was signeD??????

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Whatever became of Seattle's $650m expansion fee and the big $$$ from the new TV deals anyhow? Also, weren't they due for some significant NFT royalties from player cards?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
For me, Auston Matthews is a sacred cow even if I'm pretty pissed at how the season ended. There's about 2.5x players I would trade Auston Matthews for based on age, position and upside: Connor McDavid. Nathan Mackinnon. And maybe Cale Makar, but I don't like the idea of taking a center (that we waited 8 years after the Sundin departure to draft) and convert into a defenseman. Everything else in terms of 2 for 1's, 3 for 1's, packages, I don't really need to hear it.

I'd listen, but I wouldn't be very interested.

Fair enough.....as long as you'd listen :thumbu:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Canucks: Sutter, Kerfoot could help solve riddles in the middle | The Province
What's the asking price for Kerfoot, and how's he been as Toronto's 3rd C? Vancouver needs a shutdown type that could relieve Horvat and take on some matchups, but Kerfoot looks to be still young and have two-way potential?

The Kerfoot trade was 2 years ago, and this past playoff series was probably the first time many Leafs fans started to see a bit of potential within Alex Kerfoot.
He's been a fine, serviceable guy - can play 3C, and can also slot onto the wing. Fast, limited skill, can play in a few different situation.
But he's not worth what he's being paid right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad