News Article: Cap Moving Forward

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I hear a lot of we can’t trade matthews but I disagree. He only has 3 years left until ufa, 2 until his nmc kicks in, if I’m gm, I trade both marner and matthews, change the culture and retool/mini rebuild. Unless your completely comfortable letting matthews walk in 3 years losing your most valued asset for nothing.

matthews is walking?

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
After Dubie reads this article, all his spreadsheets come back with the following message "USER ERROR, PLEASE TRY AGAIN"

You ever notice in your real life when you talk to people about sports, they go “ya…uh huh..mhmm…sure…yep”?? Feel like that’s a common theme

Reactions: Kurtz

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Fan narrative without a shred of substance. Matthews apparently can’t wait to skip town

the only realistic spot the Leafs could lose Matthews to would be the Kings if Hockey gets bigger in the states and he wants to blow up his brand.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
the only realistic spot the Leafs could lose Matthews to would be the Kings if Hockey gets bigger in the states and he wants to blow up his brand.
Toronto is the 4th largest market in North America, the #1 hockey market and by far the fastest growing city in North America

Reactions: AllDay28

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So basically we’re f***ed is what I’m learning? f***ing stupid pandemic. Worse things have happened to people and the world at large due to it but in the context of sport I don’t think there’s a team more f***ed than the Leafs.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Toronto is the 4th largest market in North America, the #1 hockey market and by far the fastest growing city in North America

i agree. He’s still American and if he wants to be closer to home then LA is definitely the spot.

Rokker

Jun 5, 2016
Hamilton
You dont trade a potential generational goal scorer.

But if you don't have an extension in place in 2 years time, are you going to hope and pray he resigns when dozens of teams will offer him max dollars? He chooses where he wants to play, the money wont be any different.

Youre gambling on a lot come that 5th year if an agreement isn't already in place.

...And if we haven't won squat anyways come that time, why wouldn't you look at trying to get a haul? If you know he's gone, restock the cupboards because at that point you're mostlikely in rebuild mode.

Reactions: LeafsRus

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Doubt it. All it takes is 1 playoff series win and Dubas probably gets atleast 3 more years.

The fact that MLSE is just giving him a mulligan for this year indicates a terrifying precedent behind the scenes.
Has Larry made his decision yet? If so i have not heard that. Once da boys finish up with players and Shanny sits down with Dubie then Shanny still needs to go see Larry. Then we will see what is going on next year. We are talking about franchise brand here and it has been badly hurt. As has $$$ stream and don't think Larry is gonna be a happy camper. I bet Shanny has to meet conditions if he stays on.

Reactions: LeafsRus

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
That would be the answer I would expect from someone that puts the player above the team. Just like Kid Kyle, you've fallen in love with AM34 and his sick snipes.

ya I fell in love with a top 3 player in the league. You’re in love with rooting against your favourite team. We’re not the same.

Reactions: vpasla1

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Why is that ?

Let me rephrase that.........Why wouldn't you explore what the return would be?

After the bonus is paid out for this year he's still owed approximately 25 mil over those last 3 years. Teams aren't doing well financially and you think they will want to pay that out.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
ya I fell in love with a top 3 player in the league. You’re in love with rooting against your favourite team. We’re not the same.

I root for the Crest on the front not the Name on the back. I like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares. I even like Andersen and Reilly.

But if there is a trade that moves the team I root for closer to the Stanley Cup......pull the trigger.

NO ONE can't be traded.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
After the bonus is paid out for this year he's still owed approximately 25 mil over those last 3 years. Teams aren't doing well financially and you think they will want to pay that out.

I don't know.....I'm just suggesting that everything should be looked into. If there's not an excellent return, then don't do anything.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don't know.....I'm just suggesting that everything should be looked into. If there's not an excellent return, then don't do anything.

Well he's up for the Hart Trophy viewed as one of the 3 best players in the league. What would you want in return?? 3 1st rounders, 2 top prospects, top 6 forward and that's just spit ballin.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well he's up for the Hart Trophy viewed as one of the 3 best players in the league. What would you want in return?? 3 1st rounders, 2 top prospects, top 6 forward and that's just spit ballin.

Spitballing?

A youngish C that can eventually take over for JT. 25 goals min (and improving)
A 24ish D that can make Reilly expendable and log 20+ minutes
A 26ish 3rd line centre that is good at both ends of the ice 15-20 goals

All with size and speed

An unprotected 1st and a pair of 2nds

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Fan narrative without a shred of substance. Matthews apparently can’t wait to skip town

I think if we somehow end up trading Mitchy...AM is gone. I don't know where he would go..but I think the pressure of the media focusing on him if we still have the same cycle of losing in the 1st rd (or 2nd at most) will make him think of leaving. Maybe he realizes that money is not going to do much for him if people will always have a "..but he never won a cup" thought in the back of their head. I do think if he had some success with Mitch that he would probably stay...but that depends on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad