Cap Issues

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Maybe been talked about elsewhere but the Canucks are getting tight on the cap.

Have about 6.7 in space and still have Kassian, Tanev and Vey to sign. All RFAs with limited bargaining power and the Canucks may need to use this to squeeze these players. Also they qualified Weber.

Maybe Vey and Weber start in the minors and you get Kassian and Tanev on 3 mill. contracts. Or perhaps they trade some contract if they want to sign Kassian and/or Tanev long term.

Lots better cap experts than me here but this is, I think, an issue

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
*sigh*
I was hoping the team would run under 63 mil this year, high draft pick, and partake in next year's UFA festivites and grab a young UFA or two.

Nope.
Bubble team squeezed against the cap. Next year looks really bad too.
Awesome.

****ing not liking Benning and Linden much right now.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
$1.1-1.2M in goaltending will be gone, but other than that it is looking kind of tight.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Maybe been talked about elsewhere but the Canucks are getting tight on the cap.

Have about 6.7 in space and still have Kassian, Tanev and Vey to sign. All RFAs with limited bargaining power and the Canucks may need to use this to squeeze these players. Also they qualified Weber.

Maybe Vey and Weber start in the minors and you get Kassian and Tanev on 3 mill. contracts. Or perhaps they trade some contract if they want to sign Kassian and/or Tanev long term.

Lots better cap experts than me here but this is, I think, an issue

I don't see what Zack Kassian has done to deserve over $2M, let alone $3M.

The Canucks are getting close to the cap, but I wouldn't say they have cap problems right now.

$6.7M remaining: $3.5M to Tanev, $1.75M to Kassian, $700k to Vey, $750k to Weber.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
This is being discussed in the Armchair GM thread.

Capgeek is where you probably found that number, but keep in mind that it is assuming Corrado (@ 590+k) makes the team, which I doubt at the moment. It also doesn't factor in that one of Lack or Markstrom is out (1.1-1.2m).

I happen to think that Sestito is done here as well.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I wonder if any team is brave enough to take a run at Kassian and Tanev with offer sheets. Vey and Weber don't have much leverage.

One thing in our favour is most teams are low on space too.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
As for next year, I can't see Burrows staying, and some of that bottom 6 will be thinned out. There will be space for one decent acquisition next year, IMO. Nothing high-profile, of course.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I wonder if any team is brave enough to take a run at Kassian and Tanev with offersheets.

You know, Benning sure has opened himself up to that threat, now that he's completely filled up the cap space...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This is being discussed in the Armchair GM thread.

Capgeek is where you probably found that number, but keep in mind that it is assuming Corrado (@ 590+k) makes the team, which I doubt at the moment. It also doesn't factor in that one of Lack or Markstrom is out (1.1-1.2m).

I happen to think that Sestito is done here as well.

Replacing Sestito won't help since he's on league minimum and the person you place in his roster spot is going to cost the same or more.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I don't see what Zack Kassian has done to deserve over $2M, let alone $3M.

The Canucks are getting close to the cap, but I wouldn't say they have cap problems right now.

$6.7M remaining: $3.5M to Tanev, $1.75M to Kassian, $700k to Vey, $750k to Weber.

He put up more points than 4 million dollar man Kulemin, is what he did.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Replacing Sestito won't help since he's on league minimum and the person you place in his roster spot is going to cost the same or more.

750k is league minimum now?

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Sestito

is kind of what it's looking like at forward right now. So I guess you're right. I thought we had one forward too many there -- though we will if there is any plan to bring up even one of our forward prospects (Horvat?)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Stanton - Sbisa
Weber

so subtract Corrado from capgeek puts us just over 7.25 mil, and then subtract
one of the goalies, and that puts us over 8.4 mil.

8.4 mil for:
Tanev
Kassian (Between these two, I think it takes up 6 mil, give or take)
Vey
Weber (No way these two cost more than 2.4 mil)

So we're fine right now for cap space when all is said and done. However, there is a possible offersheet threat. Though anything we couldn't match would cost a 2015 1st round pick. How crazy would that be?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I suspect a trade is coming.

I feel like one of Burrows, Hansen, or Richardson plus one of the goalies will be on their way out.

What could Lack + Burrows fetch us? Throw a good prospect in there, like Shinkaruk, and suddenly we have a pretty sweet offer for somebody.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I suspect a trade is coming.

Yeah I think so too. Imagine if Benning got us a left winger and we still have Vrbata.

Lack + Burrows + Shinkaruk

for

E.Kane

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbada
E.Kane - Horvat - Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Jensen/Vey

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
750k is league minimum now?

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Hansen
Sestito

is kind of what it's looking like at forward right now. So I guess you're right. I thought we had one forward too many there -- though we will if there is any plan to bring up even one of our forward prospects (Horvat?)

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Stanton - Sbisa
Weber

so subtract Corrado from capgeek puts us just over 7.25 mil, and then subtract
one of the goalies, and that puts us over 8.4 mil.

8.4 mil for:
Tanev
Kassian (Between these two, I think it takes up 6 mil, give or take)
Vey
Weber (No way these two cost more than 2.4 mil)

So we're fine right now for cap space when all is said and done. However, there is a possible offersheet threat. Though anything we couldn't match would cost a 2015 1st round pick. How crazy would that be?

Good point on Corrado.

Could see them moving Hansen but he does have a no trade clause

I don't see a offer sheet threat so much. Seems to be an unwritten rule here among GMs

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Actually that should be our next priority getting Evander Kane on the LW.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Horvat - Kassian

Higgins - Bonino - Jensen/Vey

We will look pretty strong in both the bottom and top six.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
There are no cap issues.

Tanev, Kassian, Vey and Weber will all be signed for under 8M combined and one of our bottom-6 forwards will be shipped out.

We will have a full line-up plus 3 scratches, if need be.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
You know, Benning sure has opened himself up to that threat, now that he's completely filled up the cap space...

Not sure if this was sarcastic or not. But if serious, it's a pretty simple solution. If one signs before the other, keep it close to the chest until the other signs and announce them together.

The only way one gets an offersheet would be if Tanev signed for 3.5 or whatever and someone really wanted to use the opportunity to throw 3-4 at Kassian.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I feel like one of Burrows, Hansen, or Richardson plus one of the goalies will be on their way out.

What could Lack + Burrows fetch us? Throw a good prospect in there, like Shinkaruk, and suddenly we have a pretty sweet offer for somebody.

Doubt Burrows goes anywhere. He's been here his entire career and has a NTC. Unlike Garrison, who while local had only been here 2 seasons and got to go back to where he spent the majority of his NHL career, I don't think that's a battle Benning is going to win.

Leading up to the draft there were rumours that Benning asked two players to waive, one was thinking of it and the other said no. The former was obviously Garrison, and speculation was that Burrows was the latter. Benning has the right to ask but nothing good will come of trying forcing the issue, you'd be looking at a potential grievance from the NHLPA plus a potential management vs locker room rift.

After a good year with the Twins Burrows didn't go all Anson Carter on us, and signed a contract that made him one of the best bargains in the league for 4 seasons. Let him enjoy his retirement pay, he earned it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad