Cap Geek Copy Cat.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm glad a lot of sites are attempting to step up and fill the gap left by CapGeek, but I won't feel like I've got a "replacement" until a site provides all the features that CapGeek had (including the ability to see how much cap space would be available on a particular day, the Armchair GM, Trade Machine, and buyout calculator - that site was awesome for all of the tools it provided in addition to the cap information).

I kind of feel bad for nhlnumbers.com. They existed before CapGeek, and are still out there, but somehow they get overlooked in favor of a bunch of new sites that don't seem to have much (if any) more functionality than they do...

Really, though, I just miss CapGeek :(

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Everything about Cap Geek was good. Easy to navigate, very easy to look at, and updated constantly. RIP to that guy. Dude did a tremendous job.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
"If you guys find one as good as CapGeek used to be can you, uh... maybe pass it along to us? We, um... need it for... research... purposes. Nothing major! Not like we're using it to run the cap side of our roster, or anything. HAHAHAHAHA! Funny joke! But yeah... as soon as possible, if you could?"

-Pens FO

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Everything about Cap Geek was good. Easy to navigate, very easy to look at, and updated constantly. RIP to that guy. Dude did a tremendous job.

Mathew should have sold it to the NHL website where they can keep the updating and better have the resources to do just that.

He hit a homerun that will probably take awhile to mimic what he created.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The league seems less-than-interested in making the information available, if Bettman's remarks are any indication. So I doubt the league would have purchased it off of him... I mean... and actually use it. They might have bought it off of him to deep six it, I guess.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The league seems less-than-interested in making the information available, if Bettman's remarks are any indication. So I doubt the league would have purchased it off of him... I mean... and actually use it. They might have bought it off of him to deep six it, I guess.

Yup I don't think they really want fans keeping up with this stuff to the level that capgeek did. At least, they aren't going to actively manage that for fans.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He also ran the Wings prospect website and that was pretty darn good as well. RIP to a guy that loved the sport and had amazing contacts because he was so genuine.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Honestly can't stand that site. Capfriendly.com just launched 2 days ago, and comes across as a lot more user friendly.

I'm glad a lot of sites are attempting to step up and fill the gap left by CapGeek, but I won't feel like I've got a "replacement" until a site provides all the features that CapGeek had (including the ability to see how much cap space would be available on a particular day, the Armchair GM, Trade Machine, and buyout calculator - that site was awesome for all of the tools it provided in addition to the cap information).

I kind of feel bad for nhlnumbers.com. They existed before CapGeek, and are still out there, but somehow they get overlooked in favor of a bunch of new sites that don't seem to have much (if any) more functionality than they do...

When I emailed Dominik yesterday at capfriendly, he said those features are coming.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Mathew should have sold it to the NHL website where they can keep the updating and better have the resources to do just that.

He hit a homerun that will probably take awhile to mimic what he created.

Bettman doesn't think the fans have any interest in the 'business' side of things (aka anything off ice). Which is primarily where capgeek is so valuable. You can usually find the cap hits out all over the place... but the contract details matter when it comes to logically looking at trades and whether they make sense is more important than just the cap hit. Basically this is Bettman sticking his head in the sand thinking that this 'stuff' doesn't matter if fans are paying attention to the on ice product. Which is what he wants. He doesn't want you to care how much money Nash or whomever is making... he wants you to care about how good tonights game 7 is.

Apparently you can't do both.

I like a lot of what Bettman has done for the game... but this is one area where I really think he's dropping the ball, and is behind the times. Sad really, because the NHL has ALL this info and it would really make things interesting if they ran a proper site.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Honestly can't stand that site. Capfriendly.com just launched 2 days ago, and comes across as a lot more user friendly.

When I emailed Dominik yesterday at capfriendly, he said those features are coming.

Yeah capfriendly seems like the best CapGeek replacement out there right now.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

NHL numbers has never made an effort to improve site

I don't feel bad at all

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I don't feel bad at all

Exactly. It's one thing to take the effort to keep it up to date (a necessity for that type of site)... but I don't think they've made a single layout change or added a feature since I first saw that site 2-3 years ago. Which is sad.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hopefully we get a few good sites competing and they'll push each other. I can't imagine Bob Mckenzie saying "according to General Fanager", going to have to shorten it to GF.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I don't feel bad at all

Exactly. It's one thing to take the effort to keep it up to date (a necessity for that type of site)... but I don't think they've made a single layout change or added a feature since I first saw that site 2-3 years ago. Which is sad.

In order for them to make effort, everyone is losing the insight Mathew had inside connections NHL Numbers most likely will never have. You can't improve upon something if you have nothing to improve it from.

You just can't do it without that knowledge.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In order for them to make effort, everyone is losing the insight Mathew had inside connections NHL Numbers most likely will never have. You can't improve upon something if you have nothing to improve it from.

You just can't do it without that knowledge.

You don't need inside info to setup an Arm Chair GM page. You need the idea, the cap/salary info and the ability to code it.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You don't need inside info to setup an Arm Chair GM page. You need the idea, the cap/salary info and the ability to code it.

Basically inside info teams just don't give up to anyone.

If you want to be anywhere close to accurate.

Edit: I should clarify: Meaning all the details of moves/adjustments with any and all players they made to get to their final numbers.

That is also including use of daily numbers.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Basically inside info teams just don't give up to anyone.

If you want to be anywhere close to accurate.

Edit: I should clarify: Meaning all the details of moves/adjustments with any and all players they made to get to their final numbers.

That is also including use of daily numbers.

If they wanted it to be perfect sure... but most would have been very happy with just a tool that allowed them to add/remove players from a lineup that then totaled up the salary.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If they wanted it to be perfect sure... but most would have been very happy with just a tool that allowed them to add/remove players from a lineup that then totaled up the salary.

I get that, but what is the point, if saying, in Hockeyscap where OGBobbyFarnham in one of his posted rosters he had Scuderi bought out at $291,667 when it should be 1.291667 has already put him over.

The point is all of those little mistakes could have you way over the cap and destroying any legitimate chances the roster you make up will work.

I only like the tool if you can be within .500 of reality.

It would take research away from some sites to even get that knowledge. In some cases you have nothing, and if it stretches past even one player you are way off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad