Speculation: Cap dump to the Leafs

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs will have about 4.6m in deadline cap space with Ceci and Johnsson out till the playoffs, and Reilly returning just before.

As a Leaf fan, I dont think they should be adding at the deadline. They have already spent a good amount of assets over the last two year getting Muzzin and Campbell, and getting rid of Marleau.

Wondering if there are any teams that need to shed short term (expiring) contracts similar to the Laich deal the Leafs made a few years ago.

Could help free up some space for larger deals, or could be a $ savings deal with a guy who isnt playing in the NHL, or a team trying to get out of the bonus overage teritory (Chicago).

The Leafs can send back some depth guys who could be useful if injuries occur on a long playoff run (Petan, Agostino, Marincin, Wilson, Aberg) or just to balance contracts.

I.e.
Oilers have around 1m in deadline cap space, and 1.18 on the cap from Manning being in the AHL. Oilers could use some winger depth. What kind of deal would a Agostino for Manning + look like?

Sorry for the long post!

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I.e.
Oilers have around 1m in deadline cap space, and 1.18 on the cap from Manning being in the AHL. Oilers could use some winger depth. What kind of deal would a Agostino for Manning + look like?

Oilers have like $22+M injured (McDavid, Neal, and now Klefbom) or suspended (Kassian) and still are winning. They won't be trading futures for a playoff run given how the competitive the west is.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Bit of a clownshow.

OP is totally denying reality if he thinks this can happen. We aren't rebuilding...get over it.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Bit of a clownshow.

OP is totally denying reality if he thinks this can happen. We aren't rebuilding...get over it.
Nothing to do with rebuilding.
We have open room, and I think smart teams should try to weaponize it.

I am not in favour of spending assets to try and make a 'win now' move, as I think our flaws or more systemic and are easier to tackle in the offseason.

Leafs have had no issues in the past spending a good amount of money to get even a few mid round picks.

Leafs have some good depth guys in the AHL who are on expiring deals, which could help a team in case of injuries.

For me, if the Leafs take on 4.6m in cap dumps (max they can) and get a mid round pick or two, id be happy.
Even if its a cap dump + 3rd for a 4th type deal. Do that a few times.

I just dont want to have 4.6m in potential cap space go to waste.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Nothing to do with rebuilding.
We have open room, and I think smart teams should try to weaponize it.

I am not in favour of spending assets to try and make a 'win now' move, as I think our flaws or more systemic and are easier to tackle in the offseason.

Leafs have had no issues in the past spending a good amount of money to get even a few mid round picks.

Leafs have some good depth guys in the AHL who are on expiring deals, which could help a team in case of injuries.

For me, if the Leafs take on 4.6m in cap dumps (max they can) and get a mid round pick or two, id be happy.
Even if its a cap dump + 3rd for a 4th type deal. Do that a few times.

I just dont want to have 4.6m in potential cap space go to waste.

Teams do not give up assets in order to dump players with expiring contracts.

The Brooks Laich deal happened because he had an extra year on his contract. There's no way the Leafs can afford to take on bad money for next year.

The only way to avoid "wasting" that cap space is to get a guy that can help the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad