News Article: Cap Crunch could force Hawks+Bruins to move players

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I'm kind of worried about the part where it says the flagging dollar is affecting contract extension talks in 3 cities. I know that Ottawa is likely to be one; who are the other two?

Edit: Oh, cases. I read that as 'cities'. Still, it can affect a franchise. Canadian players still get paid in USD, so I imagine that Melnyk is still feeling the pinch.
The flagging dollar could be affecting extension negotiations in 2 different ways
  1. A Canadian team worries about losing money
  2. Any team up against the cap may be unable to give a player what he wants, even if the team's finances would allow it. Remember that a roster is 23 players. A couple of superstars surrounded with AHL scrubs is not a winning formula.

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Aren`t the Kings presently up against the cap and thinking out loud about moving Mike Richards.
He has (had?) a NMC (no-movement-clause) that was supposed to kick in July 1, 2012. but that may have been invalidated by an earlier trade. The status is murky. The main problem for other teams is that his contract goes through 2019-2020, by which time he'll be 35.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He has (had?) a NMC (no-movement-clause) that was supposed to kick in July 1, 2012. but that may have been invalidated by an earlier trade. The status is murky. The main problem for other teams is that his contract goes through 2019-2020, by which time he'll be 35.

The one thing about Richard's contract, is it is one of the older back diving contracts. After next season his actual salary starts dropping below his cap hit. Those can be appealing to teams trying to get to the cap floor and pay out lower salaries. Still IMO a fair amount of risk to take on his contract.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I believe this issue may be addressed in the CBA as well although I may be wrong?
Paying player salaries is a team's problem.

The CBA covers calculation of HRR, which affects the cap. It uses the daily value of the CDN$ versus US$, averaged July 1 through June 30, as determined by the Bank of Canada. From the CBA, article 49.1 (Definitions)

All revenues collected and distributed pursuant to this Player Compensation Cost Redistribution System are based on U.S. dollars, or U.S. dollar equivalents, converted at the average Canadian dollar to U.S. dollar exchange rate for that League Year, as determined by the Bank of Canada.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The article craps the bed with respect to the Bruins cap situation. They have 56M tied up including Marc Savard who will be on LTIR. Even if the cap stays the same they'll have 16M to re-sign Smith, Hamilton, Krug and Soderberg. Probably not enough to get them all under the cap, but there is a much higher probability they're going to let Soderberg walk than start trading legit assets at a cut rate.
Krejci's extension kicks in in the 2015-2016 season, raising his cap hit from $5,250,000 to $7,250,000. It's nowhere near as bad as Chicago's situation with Kane and Toews, but everly little bit adds up

The Bruins also have 6 RFAs in their regular lineup, coming up for renewal this off-season. They include RW Reilly Smith and Dman Dougie Hamilton. They're both near the top of the team's stats for +/- and for points. The cap hit screws will tighten somewhat.

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
The one thing about Richard's contract, is it is one of the older back diving contracts. After next season his actual salary starts dropping below his cap hit. Those can be appealing to teams trying to get to the cap floor and pay out lower salaries. Still IMO a fair amount of risk to take on his contract.
Who are those mythical teams trying to get to the cap floor, and willing to take on atrocious contracts, that I keep reading about? I last read about them during the Pavelec mega-thread :)

Richards' cap hit is $5.75 million
His salary is...
  • 2015-16 $6 million
  • 2016-17 $5.5 million
  • 2017-18 $4.5 million
  • 2018-19 $3 million
  • 2019-20 $3 million
A team would have to keep him for at least 3 seasons to see any benefit if they pick him up this off-season. And if you're trying to cut costs, do you really want to take on his salary for the first couple of seasons?

Looking at the committed 2015-2016 payrolls on Capgeek at http://capgeek.com/payrolls?charts_year=2015 Buffalo is the worst case, having committed only $35,892,500 cap hit for 13 players. Let's assume the cap goes up to $70 million. The floor will be $16 million lower, i.e. $54 million. That forces them to spend at least an additional $18,107,500. Since a roster can be up to 23 players, that leaves 10 additional positions, i.e. just over $1.8 million per player. I'm sure there will be a lot of competent UFAs available at $2 or $3 million per year willing to take 1 or 2 year contracts.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Isn't there an equalization formula for the Canadian teams re the US/CDN dollar?

I suppose if it gets bad enough, teams like us and Ottawa will qualify for revenue sharing anyways.

The CDN$ equalization thing is no longer active as of the 2005 CBA. As you mentioned, revenue sharing essentially takes care of Canadian teams that are deeply affected by the falling CDN $.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Two third round picks for Oduya.
He's a UFA at the end of the season. We're not looking for rentals. Oduya is 33, and will be 34 when next season starts. He is not worth giving up draft choices for. I might see us signing him for $2-to-$2.5 million per year for a year or 2 as a UFA over the summer if Morrissey and Kicthon don't look ready. Otherwise, fuggedaboutit.

HighFlyingJets

Sep 30, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I have to agree as well. I guess I must be hungry...

455capncrunch1.jpg

...and it is part of this complete breakfast!

box267.jpg

Remember these? How I've missed these since I was a Kid....

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
the same Oduya the Jets traded away to Chicago a few years back?
Yes. He was worth a bit more in February 2012. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jets-trade-oduya-claim-clitsome-1.1165939
With a playoff spot in sight, Winnipeg Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff tinkered only slightly with his lineup ahead of Monday's trade deadline.

The Jets made just one trade, sending defenceman Johnny Oduya to the Chicago Blackhawks for two draft picks. The club also picked up blue-liner Grant Clitsome off waivers from the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Chevy got 2013 2nd and 3rd picks. I believe we had traded away our natural 2nd round pick earlier. According http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676040 we picked Comrie in the 2nd round and Lodge and Lipon in the 3rd round.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Yes. He was worth a bit more in February 2012. http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/jets-trade-oduya-claim-clitsome-1.1165939

Chevy got 2013 2nd and 3rd picks. I believe we had traded away our natural 2nd round pick earlier. According http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=676040 we picked Comrie in the 2nd round and Lodge and Lipon in the 3rd round.

The Petan pick was the Jets' own pick. The Comrie pick (59th overall) was compensatory because the Jets didn't sign 2008 first-rounder Daulton Leveille and was just before Chicago's, which they used to trade down.

The Oduya trade picks were:

61st (traded for 84th [Jimmy Lodge], 114th [Jan Kostalek], and 127th [Tucker Poolman])
91st [JC Lipon]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad