Cap Crap

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm not ignoring anything. Benning screwed up. I'm replying to the general sense that the sky is falling because of these contracts.

We have about 50 million in cap hits to begin the off season. Boeser hasn't been able to consistently carry offense and he is between unnoticeable and a train wreck defensively. Hutton is probably going to want a "show me" contract to bridge him until he is UFA in...I want to say 2 years? He hasn't performed above expectations until this year on his present contract. Edler is aging and while I would love to give him a Burrows-esque back pay style contract I really don't see him earning a raise for more then a 2 year contract. Demko has played 3 games. I honestly don't see that collection getting the full 20. I also said between 15 and 20. I'm reading that as about half of our cap space if we hit 85 million like some analysts are expecting.

I am hoping we cut a few contracts loose either way. Buyouts. Buried in the AHL. Traded for a pittance. Not all of the pieces are unmovable..
I deleted the tangent that didn't have anything to do with the canucks cap crap.

Boeser has 8 points in 10, 17 in 20, 46 in 55 good enough for a 69 point pace, marginally down from his pace last year. I don't quite understand the constant slagging of the kid. It's not his fault the rest of the roster stinks.

I'll ballpark him at $7m.

Even if you want to go light, Edler will at least maintain his $5m - that's $12m for those doing the math at home.

Hutton is an RFA....Benning paid Gudbranson $4m last year for an RFA in nearly the identical spot. So $4m for Hutton.

We're up to $16m, Demko let's say $1.5m....look at what Markstrom was paid at same age.

So $17.5m....with another half dozen RFA tenders.

The sky isn't falling, but there are a lot of road blocks to actually improving the roster and scoffing at people suggesting the team has a large pile of dead weight just seems like you're being an anti-neg. You've created the idea people think the sky is falling and retorting based on that premise, that's your problem.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
people disagree on the value of those moves. for example, the coyotes moved up just 4 places in the draft to 16th in return for a 20th round pick, a 2nd ( 53rd) round pick and a $7.5m cap hit ($5.5m cash). that puts the value of $5.5 million in cash plus one year of that cap hit as being maybe a late third round draft pick. that is a pretty steep market.

as against that kind of (rare) return, the canucks signed a 30 goal scorer they hoped would revitalize the twins for a couple of years. i didn't like the move, but i certainly understand it weighed against the alternative.
Another option for that cap space is to acquire useful depth players on short term contracts that you can flip at the deadline.

Players like Letestu, Davidson, Grabner, Winnik, etc.

Give me that flexibility to be creative and aggressive over Eriksson any day.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Would help if Benning doesn’t give away what bottom six forwards he already had (Kassian and McCann).

this is the only place on the planet where people think the canucks should be criticized for "giving away kassian". in the real world people are familiar with the problem of having to cut ties with otherwise valuable employees because they will not accept help with their personal demons.

and mccann is on his third team now at age 22 despite looking like a decent prospect his whole career. maybe he sticks with the pens, but if that is the case it might also be that it takes a strong room to handle the guy.

i will add that the pens seem to be at the point in their cycle where they are weaponizing the experience and culture in their room to bring in guys who are work and try to fix them. good for them if they can pull it off with both sides of the gudbranson trade.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i am valuing the contracts when they were signed, not 4 years later, and sutter's current contract cap hit and the sutter trade are two different things. this thread is about dead cap space. you are straying off into the unified everything benning ever did sucks theory. i really don't have time to debate that one.
No I am not doing that. This thread is about cap crap, that's what I'm discussing, you're arguing that the cap isn't a problem and the players are valued. I'm referencing the cap% when signed also, so I don't know where you're reading into my post that I'm talking about cap% now. I'm not straying anywhere, you just don't like where it's going because it paints the guy you've defended for 5 years in a bad light.

I think I've made by piece here.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Another option for that cap space is to acquire useful depth players on short term contracts that you can flip at the deadline.

Players like Letestu, Davidson, Grabner, Winnik, etc.

Give me that flexibility to be creative and aggressive over Eriksson any day.

i didn't like the eriksson signing, but i also would not reduce our dressing room to a way station for replacement players being optimistically showcased for late draft picks. that way leads to the desert or buffalo.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
No I am not doing that. This thread is about cap crap, that's what I'm discussing, you're arguing that the cap isn't a problem and the players are valued. I'm referencing the cap% when signed also, so I don't know where you're reading into my post that I'm talking about cap% now. I'm not straying anywhere, you just don't like where it's going because it paints the guy you've defended for 5 years in a bad light.

I think I've made by piece here.

"stated your piece" or "made your peace"?

i think this thread is about how much dead cap space orcatown calculates is tied up in overpaid players, not the wisdom of trades we may have made to acquire such players. i agree that the two issues are related, but i find i need to guard against topic slip. as it is, i find it very difficult to respond to all the people who disagree with me when i state my opinion on this board. so i try to pick my ground and stick to it. hope you understand.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I deleted the tangent that didn't have anything to do with the canucks cap crap.

Boeser has 8 points in 10, 17 in 20, 46 in 55 good enough for a 69 point pace, marginally down from his pace last year. I don't quite understand the constant slagging of the kid. It's not his fault the rest of the roster stinks.

I'll ballpark him at $7m.

Even if you want to go light, Edler will at least maintain his $5m - that's $12m for those doing the math at home.

Hutton is an RFA....Benning paid Gudbranson $4m last year for an RFA in nearly the identical spot. So $4m for Hutton.

We're up to $16m, Demko let's say $1.5m....look at what Markstrom was paid at same age.

So $17.5m....with another half dozen RFA tenders.

The sky isn't falling, but there are a lot of road blocks to actually improving the roster and scoffing at people suggesting the team has a large pile of dead weight just seems like you're being an anti-neg. You've created the idea people think the sky is falling and retorting based on that premise, that's your problem.

Good call. I tend to get distracted on my soap box.

We don't seem to disagree on the numbers. I think Boeser will get less if someone is trying to draw the comparison to other former ELC players who specialize in offense but saying 17.5 isn't a bad number for all four.

Players or replacements for Goldobin Motte Pouliot Leivo Gaunce Schenn and...who or whomever should all be under a million each or replaced internally for about that.

Looking at the present roster and not counting us moving out a Sutter or Baertschi or Eriksson I see 2 winger spots in our top six open and I see 2 top four defensemen we need. One will likely be Hughes on D. Who knows if we have a Madden or a Karlsson or another prospect bring their A game to training camp and force the issue but let's say 2 forwards and a top four D.

7 plus 5 plus 4 plus 1.5 plus 6ish is 23.5. That isn't a ridiculously tall order for what we need. If we move a deadweight contract for more room than all the better. If we draft high enough to get a Kakko or a Byram or heaven forbid a second Hughes even better than that.

Anti-neg would be a good way to put it. A lot of those contracts suck. Some with the benefit of hindsight and some at people saying so at the time they were signed. If it isn't trying bring attention to how bad our cap situation is then what is this thread here for? We have at least 3 other threads to complain about Benning handing out extras on contracts like confetti at a parade.

The roadblocks in our way have started to move...by the idiot that ordered those roadblocks in the first place. I have no defense for Schaller being signed but last years junk has been mostly cleared out. Yes Gudbranson and Gagner brought in Spooner and Pearson and who knows what the future holds there. We also saw Del Zotto and Nilsson get cleared out. The ones we have aren't as unmovable as we thought and until we replace management do we really want 30 million in free cap space for the UFA market with Benning in charge if I'm wrong?

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
this is the only place on the planet where people think the canucks should be criticized for "giving away kassian". in the real world people are familiar with the problem of having to cut ties with otherwise valuable employees because they will not accept help with their personal demons.

First of all, you have no idea what you are talking about. It is against the law to fire an employee in Canada related to a substance abuse issue without first making reasonable accommodations for the employee. The fact that he was already in level one and wasn't in level two of the substance abuse program until he left means you are just making stuff up with the whole 'will not accept help with their personal demons'.

Further, this has been beaten to death. There was no reason to pay to get rid of Kassian for Prust. Prust was garbage which is why is isn't in the league anymore. Adding the extra pick was just Jimbo doing Jimbo things. Numerous people have outlined that just simply waiving Kassian would have been a far better option. All the people that were okay with dumping the guy based on his substance abuse either haven't dealt with someone with an actual substance abuse problem or are actually mighter-than-thou garbage human beings.

Go take a look around the league on how other teams dealt with players experiencing substance abuse issues. They actually provide support - they didn't just unload the guy at the first opportunity. Disgusting.

and mccann is on his third team now at age 22 despite looking like a decent prospect his whole career. maybe he sticks with the pens, but if that is the case it might also be that it takes a strong room to handle the guy.

Any source for this insinuation that McCann is bad in the room? or is it just like Kassian where we crap on players that we traded away for no reason? There is an underlying assumption you are making that McCann was a cast off that needs to be fixed. Everything I have read is that McCann was targeted by Pits, who gave up picks in the deal, and was given up for the cap relief the Panthers will ultimately receive to try and sign Goalie-Bob and Paraninin. Your slant doesn't jive with anything I've read. Care to share?

i will add that the pens seem to be at the point in their cycle where they are weaponizing the experience and culture in their room to bring in guys who are work and try to fix them. good for them if they can pull it off with both sides of the gudbranson trade.

What does this even mean? Weaponizing the experience and culture in their room?

Reals over feels man. Try it.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Have to consider of two of the three teams that traded for McCann do seem to have an good eye for prospects but - at best, mixed - with respect to the hockey operations (Canucks/Panthers) including pro scouting. Benning saw what he perceived to be a physical top 4 D but even with the rash of injuries this season on the blueline (Green) saw him as nothing but a #6 D making 4 million a year. The Pens had nothing to lose by aquiring Guds in that they were dumping one cap dump for another cap dump (that and I think they're hurting a bit on the blueline).

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Hah, benning supporters not caring about having crappy value contracts or worried about cap space is hilarious. Reminds me of this:

this-is-fine.png

Reactions: vanuck

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Also factor in which other free agents Benning's going to sign in the offseason. Which of course he'll need to overpay for because all ufas get overpaid, and the Canucks are such a crap team you need to overpay for guys to sign here (right, Weisbrod?). It's always cute when certain people act like the current crop of bad, overpaid players aren't going to be added to on July 1 even though Benning does that every year.

I expect Ferland and a crappy rhd will be signed for a combined 10 million that will still be defended because they will still have the money to sign Pettersson.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
First of all, you have no idea what you are talking about. It is against the law to fire an employee in Canada related to a substance abuse issue without first making reasonable accommodations for the employee. The fact that he was already in level one and wasn't in level two of the substance abuse program until he left means you are just making stuff up with the whole 'will not accept help with their personal demons'.

the words"will not accept help with their personal demons" adequately covers off the discharge of all legal obligations of an employer under canadian law nicely for the purpose of the conversation we were having, whether we are discussing the federal, provincial or common law obligations of an employer in that situation. accommodation is a form of help. we really did not need to get into what exactly that help would be just to prove you read a book once did we? what are you, 8?

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda
the words"will not accept help with their personal demons" adequately covers off the discharge of all legal obligations of an employer under canadian law nicely for the purpose of the conversation we were having, whether we are discussing the federal, provincial or common law obligations of an employer in that situation. accommodation is a form of help. we really did not need to get into what exactly that help would be just to prove you read a book once did we? what are you, 8?

Since when is entering the first level of the substance abuse program provided by the NHL 'not accepting help with his personal demons'? We know for a fact that Kassian was in stage one while in Vancouver and didn't enter stage two until he was in Montreal. Per the NHL/NHLPA SABH Program:

A player who in the opinion of the program doctors violates his stage one treatment or follow-up care program, will be placed in stage two of the program. Such a player will be suspended without pay during the active phase of his treatment and will be eligible for reinstatement upon the recommendation of the program doctors after consultation with the NHL and the NHLPA although reinstatement is not assured.

So Kassian was in stage one of treatment with no issues while in Vancouver. This means the whole 'will not accept help with their personal demons' is just made up by you - like so much of the other tripe you post.

Reals over feels man - try it sometime.

The (lack of) quality of your arguments really shows that you must 'debate' 8 year-olds often.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
i didn't like the eriksson signing, but i also would not reduce our dressing room to a way station for replacement players being optimistically showcased for late draft picks. that way leads to the desert or buffalo.
I don't believe that turning over depth veterans is worse for the room than paying Eriksson $6M x 6 years.

I don't think it sets a good example when your highest paid player is regularly first off the ice in practice and turns in pathetic performance after pathetic performance. With seemingly no repercussions or even criticism.

The Canucks are already a way station for veterans to get one big pay day before leaving for nothing or returning minimal value. Eriksson, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Gagner, Del Zotto, Nilsson, Schaller, etc. What exactly would be the harm in spending these players salaries on players that could actually return some value at the deadline?

The Canucks are already the biggest losers over the past four seasons. I don't understand the fear of becoming Buffalo. Other teams should fear becoming what the Canucks are now.

Reactions: mathonwy

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There have been numerous examples of players with issues whose teams have worked with them through those. Ferland in Calgary being a prime example. There was no reason to dump Kassian for (less than) nothing - he wasn’t a problem in the room and his teammates loved him.

As for McCann ... yeah, maybe he was a cocky teenager. So what? You work with that. Ryan Kesler was a grade-A dickhead at the same age and we didn’t deal him away for nothing.

Both players are examples of Benning’s lack of patience and inability to work with an asset to create value. He’s like a dog seeing a squirrel - throws away what he’s doing and runs after some new thing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Why do people talk like we aren’t Arizona/Edmonton/Buffalo?

We’re worse than those teams yet again this year. That ship has sailed.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

First time I hear anything about McCann and character issues.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Why do people talk like we aren’t Arizona/Edmonton/Buffalo?

We’re worse than those teams yet again this year. That ship has sailed.
Arizona's GM has special issues to deal with like a much tighter budget. In fact, I've always maintained Benning actually would work better under such an arrangement. Rousell has been the exception rather than the rule (might have to add Schenn in that category as well). Pro scouting remains a BIG problem.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First time I hear anything about McCann and character issues.

It sounds like he was a bit of a lippy little punk who (along with Virtanen) didn’t as teenagers like going to the team functions organized by the Sedins who were 20 years older and wanted to to their own thing. And Matt Bartkowski’s drunk mom didn’t like him much from the sounds it.

It seems like he was just a cocky fratboy type who needed it coached out of him. Has had no issues since.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Since when is entering the first level of the substance abuse program provided by the NHL 'not accepting help with his personal demons'? We know for a fact that Kassian was in stage one while in Vancouver and didn't enter stage two until he was in Montreal. Per the NHL/NHLPA SABH Program:

So Kassian was in stage one of treatment with no issues while in Vancouver. This means the whole 'will not accept help with their personal demons' is just made up by you - like so much of the other tripe you post.

Reals over feels man - try it sometime.

The (lack of) quality of your arguments really shows that you must 'debate' 8 year-olds often.

ok, so we started off with you quoting "canadian human rights law" at me and claiming that the canucks trading a player who would not accept help from their personal demons would be a breach of those laws.

now you are quoting the provisions of the collective bargaining agreement. that's a labour agreement. and now you are drawing inferences about what happened from the fact the team and league didn't invoke stage 2, which is a suspension of the player without pay.

let's start with the fact the two things are not the same thing. one is human rights law, and the other is a labour contract. goalposts baby.

the canucks as an employer can fulfill their human rights law substance abuse accommodation obligations to the player without ever invoking stage 2 of the cba protocol. substance abuse treatment and accommodation normally happens confidentially to protect the employee. publicly announced suspensions without pay are not required or expected under human rights law.

under canadian human rights law, the employer's obligation to accommodate someone with a substance abuse problem is not as tall an order as you imply. the canucks need to professionally assess the problem and attempt to accommodate it, but the duty is by no means absolute and not even that high if kassian was not classified as an addict. the team would be required to make reasonable efforts to work with him, furnish counselling, keep a log of violations and warnings, and then if the problems persisted they'd eventually be clear under human rights law to move on and flat out terminate him.

now the canucks can separately satisfy their cba obligations simply by referring kassian into the nhl program and cooperating, after which it is really the league's problem. further while they can ask for stage 2, they have no control about going to stage 2. that is the call of the treating physicians. the team, league, the league's treating physician and the player are under no obligation to ever escalate things to stage 2 under the cba. not doing so is the norm. invoking stage 2 of the cba protocol makes it public which is potentially a death sentence for a career. all over the league it is used sparingly, and teams, specialists and player agents work hard to find alternatives. it is a last resort. it is also not strictly a treatment. stage 2 is an escalation on the path to termination of the player's contract for cause.

thirdly, nothing in the cba prevents a player in the cba stage 1 substance abuse program from being traded. what usually prevents it is the fact that it must be disclosed to a team being offered the athlete, but if you pay attention there are obviously instances where teams will take on such trades.

fourth, trading a player away from a toxic environment is potentially advisable provided they will receive proper care in the new environment. it might even be a move recommended by treating professionals.

fifth, you literally have no idea what the canucks did or did not do in terms of counselling and professional treatment for kassian , or how he was assessed, or what professional advice the team, player and agent had at the time of that trade. the inferences you are drawing that the canucks broke the law or violated the cba are ill informed bunk driven by your own agenda.

here's what we know

-kassian has since publicly acknowledged his problems

-kassian very publicly blew up shortly after the trade

-at the time of the trade, kassian was a wealthy young man with a great deal on the line and the representation of an agent and protection of the nhlpa. he had the means to hire lawyers if the canucks violated the law or cba in their treatment of him, and the nhlpa had every incentive to support him if that was the case.

if against those facts you want to infer fantasies about alan eagleson era treatment of the guy by the canucks, you are feel free to use your vivid imagination. i will totally leave you alone in your magical universe if just let me have my opinions without pretending mine are somehow wrong or misconceived but yours are not only awesome but legally supported.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's also worth noting that McCann shouldn't have even been in the league for most of that season anyway. But the Canucks and their Accelerated Development Plan™ thought otherwise.

Comical mismanagement.

1) dump Bonino and Richardson so we can proceed with the Accelerared Development Plan!

2) force skinny 19 y/o McCann onto the roster even though he isn’t ready!

3) keep him with the team even when it’s really obvious he shouldn’t be there! Force him to miss the WJCs! Hamper his development!

4) finish at bottom of standings when trying to make the playoffs in large part because we are weak at C!

5) Oh, no! He’s also emotionally unready for the NHL and a bit lippy with veterans! Instead of working with him, we’ve gotta get rid of him!

6) trade him for nothing!

7) watch him develop into an excellent two-way center a couple years later with no character issues!

Benning!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad