Post-Game Talk: Canucks vs. Stars - 3/28/15 (3-4 OTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
It's nice to see an (please forgive me for this) older fan of the team on this board. This isn't about just the Sedins being disrespected. This is more than that. This is going to the days of the Suitcase Smith and the days of the Oilers tapping their rings on the bench after taking a cheapshot at one of our guys. We've always been door mats. I want that to stop. I want people to dread the fly in to YVR. I want retribution for everyone against us. Dorsett was a beauty tonight. The consummate hockey player and teammate there, IMO. Keep him.

So you want more Bertuzzi-Moore incidents. That sure went over well :laugh:

And really, I don't think the Sedins feel humiliated nor should they. They're in their mid 30s - they're not 14. I would honestly not give two ***** if somebody said that about me. Any mature adult would see that it's Seguin and Benn who made fools of themselves. Certainly anybody I've spoken to about the incident (Canuck fans and non-Canuck fans alike) feel the same way.

The Marchand incident has left a long lasting imprint on my mind because of how uninspiring that was by Daniel in a SCF. I don't care if you're not a Sedin fan or a huge Sedin fan: that was indefensible and quite frankly just inexplicable.

I'm pretty sure Daniel was trying to draw a penalty, as it should have been. A thug punching a superstar over and over again in the face is usually grounds for a minor penalty. It's not his fault this league is a farce. Cooler heads prevail in most leagues and in life, but not the NHL it seems. It's unfortunate, but I don't blame Daniel for doing what is trying (trying to get his team a deserved advantage).

Last edited:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Yes every on ice act of retribution in the NHL is exactly like the Bertuzzi-Moore incident :laugh:

Can we all agree that bringing up the Bertuzzi-Moore incident is the HFboards version of Godwin's Law that makes you auto-lose an argument?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I pretty well disagree with your notion on the Twins, Rev, but I'll agree that watching Dorsett de-lid and punk Antoine Roussel was worth the price of admission. (Had I been able to get out of Kitimat and go to the game, that is )

Even for me, it's a pretty damn controversial opinion so I can understand that and that's OK.

But that was pretty sweet from Derek last night.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

And really, I don't think the Sedins feel humiliated nor should they. They're in their mid 30s - they're not 14. I would honestly not give two ***** if somebody said that about me. Any mature adult would see that it's Seguin and Benn who made fools of themselves. Certainly anybody I've spoken to about the incident (Canuck fans and non-Canuck fans alike) feel the same way.

I guess you are a bigger man than me. Cool. I don't see it that way but I can respect that opinion.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Iam counting the days down until sedin sedin is kenins horvat.

And kenins horvat is virtanen mccann

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

I'm pretty sure Daniel was trying to draw a penalty, as it should have been. A thug punching a superstar over and over again in the face is usually grounds for a minor penalty. It's not his fault this league is a farce. Cooler heads prevail in most leagues and in life, but not the NHL it seems. It's unfortunate, but I don't blame Daniel for doing what is trying (trying to get his team a deserved advantage).

Trying to draw a penalty or not, you don't just let someone punch you in the face repeatedly. One punch? Okay, you hope the ref catches it. After that, you battle man! Don't underestimate how uninspiring that was for the rest of the team to watch. That was so deflating and the last thing you want is for your leaders to be a source of deflation.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
not too upset about last night. Edler lost Seguin there and Benn got his early one. Need to be better but i thought the team did a good job controlling things last night. Didn't force plays for the most part and the offensive chances opened up constantly.

Team needs to hit the net though. They do such a great job of making lehtonen look like an elite tender.

Good job getting the point at least. All 3 of the Canadian teams have really tough schedules to close out the season. Hope Los Angeles struggles against the speed of the teams they have left. On paper their schedule is much softer than the rest.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Kenins is effective with Horvat right now but he will never be a top line player. :laugh: Seriously, they won't be attached at the hip for their entire careers.

Yea i donno about that he has a sleeper skillset thats waiting for a decent coach to hive him top 6 chances

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
not too upset about last night. Edler lost Seguin there and Benn got his early one. Need to be better but i thought the team did a good job controlling things last night. Didn't force plays for the most part and the offensive chances opened up constantly.

Team needs to hit the net though. They do such a great job of making lehtonen look like an elite tender.

Good job getting the point at least. All 3 of the Canadian teams have really tough schedules to close out the season. Hope Los Angeles struggles against the speed of the teams they have left. On paper their schedule is much softer than the rest.

Controlling things?....were we watching the same game?.....Canucks were out-chanced, ultimately out-scored and got skated into the ice for stretches of that game imo....d-zone turnovers are frightening at times.....without some five-alarm saves from Eddie who stopped 36 of 40 shots, this game is out of reach early....not what you'd expect from a team supposedly fighting for its playoff life and playing a team on the second half of a back-to-back.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Kenins is effective with Horvat right now but he will never be a top line player. :laugh: Seriously, they won't be attached at the hip for their entire careers.

I would have said the same about Burrows when he broke into the league as seemingly the perfect compliment to Kesler. Burrows went on to be a key part of the top line for years (albeit, apart from Kesler).

Not saying Kenins is the same, but when a player comes from nowhere looking this good, it's often artificial to impose a ceiling on them.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I would have said the same about Burrows when he broke into the league as seemingly the perfect compliment to Kesler. Burrows went on to be a key part of the top line for years (albeit, apart from Kesler).

Not saying Kenins is the same, but when a player comes from nowhere looking this good, it's often artificial to impose a ceiling on them.

I wouldn't bet on any other player following a Burrows-like trajectory...

moog35

Jul 25, 2007

TRYING TO DRAW A PENALTY!!!!???? There was 1:31 left in a 5-2 game! It was over!!!! There was absolutely nothing to loose by punching Marchand back. Marchand isn't a thug either, he is a cheap rat who happens to be smaller than Daniel and yet Daniel lets this midget rat punch him in the face 5 times while he just stands there and takes it all so he can draw a penalty! This is the same guy that submarined Daniel with a cheap hip check at the end of game 4!

That was one of the lowest moments in Canucks history, Daniel just letting someone punch him in the face and not doing anything about it except yell at the ref after for not calling a penalty with 1:31 left

Imagine being on the bench and watching one of your top players get embarrassed by the most hated player on the other team and not fight back at all. That would be so deflating as a player and it was definitely deflating as a fan.

The Sedins don't have to turn into fighters but at least throw a gloved punch back or a hack once in a while. If someone was doing that to Bure in 94 he would have stood up for himself and done something cheap back and he wasn't a fighter, or Linden who rarely scrapped wouldn't have put up with that.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I wouldn't bet on any other player following a Burrows-like trajectory...

I didn't. I just said it's pure guesswork to put a ceiling on a player like him (and Kenins is in many ways similar to Burrows when Burrows cracked the lineup).

arsmaster*

Dorsett usually only fights when we are trailing and need a spark, so that makes sense.

Like when we were up 2-0 against Columbus and he fought for selfish reasons and lipped the bench.

We lost.

Dorsett's fights for those that love him are supposed to symbolize never giving up and energy.

I'd say he has 6-8 decent scraps this year. Because he has a lot more doesn't mean it's better.

If I thought it would lead to less shifts in a game id want him fighting every night. Sadly coach will get him caught up everytime.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Dorsett usually only fights when we are trailing and need a spark, so that makes sense.

Not really. 11 of his 17 fights have occurred when the Canucks are tied or winning, and 6 of those 11 have ended up with the team losing including two losses when the team was up 2-0 when he fought. Not once has the team been behind when he fights and ended up winning the game (0-5-1 record in that situation).

All the evidence suggests that if Dorsett's fighting has any impact on the team's game, it has been a net negative in the games where he does fight.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Man I'm glad I went to bed last night when I did with this thread turning towards Sedin/Marchand and Bertuzzi/Moore discussion. :laugh:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Not really. 11 of his 17 fights have occurred when the Canucks are tied or winning, and 6 of those 11 have ended up with the team losing including two losses when the team was up 2-0 when he fought. Not once has the team been behind when he fights and ended up winning the game (0-5-1 record in that situation).

All the evidence suggests that if Dorsett's fighting has any impact on the team's game, it has been a net negative in the games where he does fight.

This is actually interesting data.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Man I'm glad I went to bed last night when I did with this thread turning towards Sedin/Marchand and Bertuzzi/Moore discussion. :laugh:

It's kind of relevant though.

Most of us love the Sedins and always will. I just think that we - whether some will admit it or not - know deep down that these guys aren't going to lead the Canucks to a Cup. They're still some of the best players in the league and could very well be part of a Cup run, but I don't see it in these two to lead the charge when the chips are down.

The thing that sucks is saying things like this looks like Sedin hating. It's not. I've got two H. Sedin jerseys that will remain with me until the day I die because I love and support he and his brother. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad