GDT: Canucks visit Habs Monday, Feb 1- 4pm PST/TUES, Feb 2 11am AEDT/Feb 2 8am HKT/Feb 2 1am CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I just hope Benning has his priorities straight. Get Pettersson and Hughes signed to long term contracts and then work on everyone else with whatever cap you have left.

Regarding pearson, it would be ideal if he had sort of a quietly effective season. Not enough points where he's a must re-sign and he'll command top dollar, but just enough that he's not let go without a thought. We don't want another albatross contract but it would be equally foolish to act like we couldn't use him back.

Yeah - Benning needs to be locked in a room with a phone that can only dial Petey and Hughes’ agents until he gets their deals done. Nobody else should get a contract until they’re done.

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
Yeah - Benning needs to be locked in a room with a phone that can only dial Petey and Hughes’ agents until he gets their deals done. Nobody else should get a contract until they’re done.
Even in that case, I still don't trust Benning to get that right. Has he signed even one contract that's really been good value? Like... Motte maybe? It'll be hard not to get value from Petey/Huggy but not impossible. Won't be surprised if he gives them UFA-like contracts without significantly eating into their UFA years :P

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Even in that case, I still don't trust Benning to get that right. Has he signed even one contract that's really been good value? Like... Motte maybe? It'll be hard not to get value from Petey/Huggy but not impossible. Won't be surprised if he gives them UFA-like contracts without significantly eating into their UFA years :P

He's generally been ok at re-signing good players: Tanev, Horvat, Markstrom and Boeser were all fine contracts.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I have a theory that most of the ups and downs in any player's career or in an individual season are health-related. Pretty much every player is injured to some degree most of the time and it's taboo to mention it.

Yeah you could very well be correct - Pearson is looking like a very decent option on that second line this year though. Not as streaky as previous years.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Pearson has always been a streaky player. When he goes cold, he still doesn’t hurt the team with bad defensive play or undisciplined behaviour. And when he’s hot, he puts up offense in bunches.

I like him a lot. Curious to see how he does in his contract year, and what sort of payday he could set himself up for.

This is very true - he's a more well rounded version of Jake at times........that being said it just looks to me like he's quicker and got a little extra pep in his step this year.

Really not sure if we are going to re-sign him.........if we can get him for 3- 3.5 mill for 3 years or less I would say do it and I think we could potentially manage it. That may be a pipe dream though - will have to see I suppose.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
I don't see why we would want to re-sign Pearson. He completely disappears for huge stretches and isn't getting any younger.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I don't see why we would want to re-sign Pearson. He completely disappears for huge stretches and isn't getting any younger.

The offense comes and goes, but that's why you're going to get from any 2nd line calibre forward. They're all streaky.

Pearson offers a consistent effort on both sides of the puck, good habits, plus PK utility. He's low maintenance, which is probably why he's a Green favourite and is stapled next to Horvat.

I don't think they can really afford to-resign him anyway, but it would be defensible if they tried.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I definitely would've gone Demko here.

Also don't know how anyone can scoff at the idea of bringing Pearson back when our forward depth sucks as much as ours.

Last edited:

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
I like Pearson, but it all depends on the salary his is willing to take. Need to approach it as a 3rd line (who can jump up into the 2nd) forward signing IMO. All the money goes to resigning EP, QH, Bo, Brock, and JT (Myers/Schmidt signed longer term already), and then everyone else divvies up the rest.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I like Pearson, but it all depends on the salary his is willing to take. Need to approach it as a 3rd line (who can jump up into the 2nd) forward signing IMO. All the money goes to resigning EP, QH, Bo, Brock, and JT (Myers/Schmidt signed longer term already), and then everyone else divvies up the rest.

I wouldn't re-sign Miller. He plays a power forward game and will be 30 when he's a UFA.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Look out!
45EFE5B9-36A6-4BD1-B245-B145B46781E5.gif

I’ve updated the lineups. Goaltending change for both teams and first game for Mete’.

Let’s take advantage and take them down
4C4A2CB6-1A7B-4CC1-A53A-715207E854F3.gif

I also added the Officials for tonight’s Game to the GDT if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dont mind having Holtby in net..He played a very tidy game against the Sens (ya, but who wouldnt..right?)..Nice assist on that Boeser goal.

Next 5 games against the two teams that are expected to run away with the top spots..Its imperative the Canucks get points out of these games if they have any playoff aspirations.

Team is relatively healthy,and playing well.. but apparently somebody wont be able to go tonight..Hopefully not a key guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad