GDT: Canucks v. Caps: Sat., Nov. 23rd, 12:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Giving up only one goal is a good thing even though it was more because of goaltending than defence. Markstrom played well too. Best I've ever seen him play. His technique was solid today. Unusual for him. It seemed he made a lot of blocker saves today.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Ovi had so many opportunities and didn’t convert either. Our best players tonight didn’t come through - and that’s why we lost.

with these rookies in lineup we are 0-2 now. Seems like most important for caps this season is staying healthy.
Caps didn't lose and the Canucks didn't win. Canucks just got the extra point! Caps need to look at video and see they need to go to the net much harder to get goals because the pretty plays are not going into the net right now.

Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm concerned. I don't think we have another goalie ready to be the starter.

And you were expecting the kid to play back up goalie games and prove he is ready? I was going to be a crap shoot at best next season without Holtby. Either they are going to go with Holtby thru the rest of Ov's career or they are going to try Sammy. Next season could be awful as a result. Make the most out of this one

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Also the Isles will be in first soon enough they have like five games in hand on the Caps.

No no. How did the Caps get 5 games ahead? They played a really compressed schedule. That is NOT an advantage. 6 games in 10 nights is a disadvantage. Its catching up with the Caps. The only way the Islanders burns those 5 games in hand is with the same sort of damaging compressed schedule.

Meanwhile the Caps have played 12 home and 13 road games. The Islanders have played 13 home and 7 road. ALL of their games in hand are road games plus.

Games in hand look good but winning them is a lot harder than it seems.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
No no. How did the Caps get 5 games ahead? They played a really compressed schedule. That is NOT an advantage. 6 games in 10 nights is a disadvantage. Its catching up with the Caps. The only way the Islanders burns those 5 games in hand is with the same sort of damaging compressed schedule.

Games in hand look good but winning them is a lot harder than it seems.
Islanders will hit a slump soon enough. Their road schedule has been light compared to at home.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And you were expecting the kid to play back up goalie games and prove he is ready? I was going to be a crap shoot at best next season without Holtby. Either they are going to go with Holtby thru the rest of Ov's career or they are going to try Sammy. Next season could be awful as a result. Make the most out of this one
I'd try to sign him and if they wish to go with Samsonov in the future then they could try to trade Holtby. I like Samsonov but I'm not sold on him yet.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Pretty evenly played game. Didn't Sgarbossa recently have an insane shootout goal in the AHL?

It's disappointing that nobody in the bottom-6 is stepping up and seizing this great opportunity at an increased role.

Reactions: searle

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I thought it was a pretty weak call. Panik's penalty was the more costly one.

no, 18 made a dumb decision and blatantly interfered in the offensive zone, with the lead, and with defenseman back to protect. Pánik’s was a random play while he was trying to get the puck along the boards. Those tripping calls happen from time to time, but it wouldn’t have happened if we weren’t on the pk, and it wouldn’t have been as costly if it weren’t for 18s penalty.

i think your the only one who doesn’t see that

Reactions: Calicaps

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Pretty evenly played game. Didn't Sgarbossa recently have an insane shootout goal in the AHL?

It's disappointing that nobody in the bottom-6 is stepping up and seizing this great opportunity at an increased role.
Agree, we may have another paralyzer in the bottom six that we are not aware of. I would have preferred one of them or Wilson over Carlson and Orlov.

Reactions: searle

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
When the time comes to waive someone for cap reasons, GMBM needs to seriously consider making the hard choice of waiving Panik.

They need to waive Seigenthaler and get Fever up here like yesterday. That way he will be ready by the playoffs.

Panik is a positive possession player who is shooting at 5%, his career average is 11.4, he is a also a good PK'er, there is hope for him.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
They need to waive Seigenthaler and get Fever up here like yesterday. That way he will be ready by the playoffs.

Panik is a positive possession player who is shooting at 5%, his career average is 11.4, he is a also a good PK'er, there is hope for him.
Siegenthaler is a very limited player but if anyone needs to be waived its #3.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Was at game yesterday, pretty entertaining considering the early hour. Ovie’s feet did not arrive for this game, he was in glide mode for most of it, but his lob wedge of the puck from 1 side of the crease to the other in OT was genius and came very close to working, and he was grinning from ear to ear after the horn sounded ending OT

For such a highly-regarded phenom (and his goal came on a quite a shot), Petterson sure has a lot of trouble staying on his feet. Not saying he’s an egregious Euro flopper, but not saying he isn’t either.

Holtby played great. Lars missed a couple of layups. No one’s ever going to accuse Oshie of having separation speed. Kuzy looked pretty good. Stevie struggled, and the Hershey guys brought energy and determination, but not much possession. Couldn’t understand why Todd didn’t give Sgarbossa a shot in the shootout.

And I continue to be baffled at all the negging on Siegenthaler. He’s got a good stick, his skating enables him to break-up or hinder plays, and while his positional awareness still needs work, it continues to improve, and his PKing is really pretty good for a guy this young. If yesterday’s game is considered representative of his body of work, there’s more that’s encouraging than discouraging

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Was at game yesterday, pretty entertaining considering the early hour. Ovie’s feet did not arrive for this game, he was in Gide mode for most of it, but his lob wedge of the puck from 1 side of the crease to the other in OT was genius and came very close to working, and he was grinning from ear to ear after the horn sounded ending OT

For such a highly-regarded phenom (and his goal came on a quite a shot), Petterson sure has a lot of trouble staying on his feet. Not saying he’s an egregious Euro flopper, but not saying he isn’t either.

Holtby played great. Lars missed a couple of layups. No one’s ever going to accuse Oshie of having separation speed. Kuzy looked pretty good. Stevie struggled, and the Hershey guys brought energy and determination, but not much possession. Couldn’t understand why Todd didn’t give Sgarbossa a shot in the shootout.

And I continue to be baffled at all the negging on Siegenthaler. He’s got a good stick, his skating enables him to break-up or hinder plays, and while his positional awareness still needs work, it continues to improve, and his PKing is really pretty good for a guy this young. If yesterday’s game is considered representative of his body of work, there’s more that’s encouraging than discouraging

Being fair to Oshie, the reason he got caught from behind was that he had to stop and kick the puck on his stick. He lost all his momentum.

Siegenthaler hate is more about Fever than Siegenthaler. People are impatient waiting on the shiny new toy. No chance the Caps swap Siegenthaler for Fever.

Jensen was skating with Orlov yesterday. He's going up the lineup. Not down

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
no, 18 made a dumb decision and blatantly interfered in the offensive zone, with the lead, and with defenseman back to protect. Pánik’s was a random play while he was trying to get the puck along the boards. Those tripping calls happen from time to time, but it wouldn’t have happened if we weren’t on the pk, and it wouldn’t have been as costly if it weren’t for 18s penalty.

i think your the only one who doesn’t see that
Sorry but I disagree with you. That penalty that Stephenson took happens several times every game. More often than not it is not called.
And that is a fact.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Don't really agree with this. Siegenthaler has been very good according to most available data, especially defensively and on the PK. He and Orlov are #1 and #2 on the team in terms of CF%, FF%, xGF%, SCF%, and HDCF% at ES. And while he doesn't take the toughest assignments at ES he certainly isn't being sheltered either.

I don't think sending Siegenthaler down to Hershey accomplishes anything at this point. Sure, he needs to iron out a few of his issues but it's nothing that can't realistically be done at the NHL level while continuing to contribute as he has so far.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Being fair to Oshie, the reason he got caught from behind was that he had to stop and kick the puck on his stick. He lost all his momentum.

Siegenthaler hate is more about Fever than Siegenthaler. People are impatient waiting on the shiny new toy. No chance the Caps swap Siegenthaler for Fever.

Jensen was skating with Orlov yesterday. He's going up the lineup. Not down
I'm not sure I would call it going up the lineup. I would call it spreading out the talent. Did you forgot at the beginning of the season Orlov and Jensen were paired together. And Siegenthaler was with Carlson. Does that mean Siegenthaler is s top pair defenceman?
Right now I would say Jensen is our weakest link on the d core.
Kempny hasn't played well recently either after a hot start.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am consistant. I look at ice time to see the depth chart. Jensen played the 3rd most minutes yesterday. 3 more than Kempny. That is moving up the depth chart.

Also whoever skates with Orlov at home is for certain gatting the primary shutdown matchup. You don't skate your worst defenseman against the opponents top line on purprose. Which is where your thinking tht Reirden cant coach comes in. Right?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I am consistant. I look at ice time to see the depth chart. Jensen played the 3rd most minutes yesterday. 3 more than Kempny. That is moving up the depth chart.

Also whoever skates with Orlov at home is for certain gatting the primary shutdown matchup. You don't skate your worst defenseman against the opponents top line on purprose. Which is where your thinking tht Reirden cant coach comes in. Right?
Sorry but I don't agree with your assessment on Jensen. He is a good skater, I'll give him that. And that is important when defending high skilled players. He doesn't usually get beat on the rush but once the opponent has control in our zone he gets in trouble.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sorry but I don't agree with your assessment on Jensen. He is a good skater, I'll give him that. And that is important when defending high skilled players. He doesn't usually get beat on the rush but once the opponent has control in our zone he gets in trouble.

Its not my assessment of Jensen. He played the 3rd most mins. Yesterday. He skated against the top line of the opposition. Thats not an assessment. Its what happened. The assessment you don't like is Reirden's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad