Canucks Travel (Sleep Doctor Interview)

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TEAM1040-Middays/~3/eOddl_Ol4rs/Sekeres_and_Price_October_8th_Hour_4~.mp3

Matt Sekeres did a great interview with the Canucks sleep doctor, talking about his company and the deal the Canucks have with them.

Couple Quick Points
1) Canucks have exclusive rights in the NHL. (They've been asked by other teams)
2) Mavericks, Sounders and one un-named NFL team also use the same technology and program the Canucks use.

Now for the meat of why I created the thread.

During the lockout I had a thought that the NHLPA should be working towards getting rid of as many back to back games in different cities as they can as it just seemed to be a performance and health issue.

According to the Pat Byrne (the Sleep Doctor) the NHL doesn't allow teams to fly on the same day of a game. The science shows flying right after a game to get to another city for a game the next day, is worse for the players health and performance than flying day of.

This leaves me with two questions
1) Why doesn't the NHL allow teams to travel day of the game?
2) Will the NHLPA ever take a stand on back to back games in different cities?

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
It was a very good interview, and very informative.

As much as some like to ridicule Gillis these days, and scoff at the idea of a sleep doctor, it shows how innovative he is. Part of the technology was developed by the US military to help ensure peak effectiveness of SpecOps and fighter pilots. This science isn't a joke.

For Gillis to have the forethought to seek this company out, realize the potential benefiits, and pay for its exclusive use in the NHL is impressive.

As to your questions, I wonder if the NHL doesn't allow same day travel due to fears of game cancellations due to flight delays.

NHL scheduling is a major headache already, and the season already too long. Eliminating back to backs in different cities would likely exacerbate both issues.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
It was a very good interview, and very informative.

As much as some like to ridicule Gillis these days, and scoff at the idea of a sleep doctor, it shows how innovative he is. Part of the technology was developed by the US military to help ensure peak effectiveness of SpecOps and fighter pilots. This science isn't a joke.

For Gillis to have the forethought to seek this company out, realize the potential benefiits, and pay for its exclusive use in the NHL is impressive.

As to your questions, I wonder if the NHL doesn't allow same day travel due to fears of game cancellations due to flight delays.

NHL scheduling is a major headache already, and the season already too long. Eliminating back to backs in different cities would likely exacerbate both issues.

Flight Delays would be a concern for sure. But all the teams fly charter so flight delays would be minimal IMO. I think keeping the option open and having the teams use their best judgement would work just fine.

I honestly think that the more science that comes out and proves that these back to back games in different cities (and sometimes time zones) are detrimental to players health and performance the more the NHLPA will push to limit these back to backs. I don't think they can eliminate them all together unless they shorten the season (which won't happen). The NHLPA did negotiate a certain amount of rest days per season for the players, and I could see in the next round of CBA negotiations that a back to back limit being implemented.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Flight Delays would be a concern for sure. But all the teams fly charter so flight delays would be minimal IMO. I think keeping the option open and having the teams use their best judgement would work just fine.

I honestly think that the more science that comes out and proves that these back to back games in different cities (and sometimes time zones) are detrimental to players health and performance the more the NHLPA will push to limit these back to backs. I don't think they can eliminate them all together unless they shorten the season (which won't happen). The NHLPA did negotiate a certain amount of rest days per season for the players, and I could see in the next round of CBA negotiations that a back to back limit being implemented.

Mechanical issues and airport closures/issues can still pop up, and an extra 6-12 hours provides some leeway. For instance, last year the Calgary airport suffered a weather closure and the Canucks had to turn around, go home and fly out the next morning. I agree its likely not a huge issue, but I can understand the rationale.

The item I found particularly interesting was the discussion on the effects of travel on the on-ice officials. I'd frankly be more interested in seeing the NHL address that issue before the back-to-backs.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Used to audit Pat's brother's company.

Pat has done work for the military and I believe even has a device that you can rent from London Drugs that will monitor your sleeping habits over the course of a couple weeks. The readings can then tell you about you sleep patterns (i.e. if you wake up at certain times).

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC
Used to audit Pat's brother's company.

Pat has done work for the military and I believe even has a device that you can rent from London Drugs that will monitor your sleeping habits over the course of a couple weeks. The readings can then tell you about you sleep patterns (i.e. if you wake up at certain times).

Yup, this was also mentioned in the interview.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Mechanical issues and airport closures/issues can still pop up, and an extra 6-12 hours provides some leeway. For instance, last year the Calgary airport suffered a weather closure and the Canucks had to turn around, go home and fly out the next morning. I agree its likely not a huge issue, but I can understand the rationale.

The item I found particularly interesting was the discussion on the effects of travel on the on-ice officials. I'd frankly be more interested in seeing the NHL address that issue before the back-to-backs.

I think someone needs to ask Bettman as to why it's such a strict rule, cause I don't think it needs to be. You'd think they could work in some leeway as better rested players will make for a better on ice product.

Yes, I did forget to include that part of the interview in my original post. The talk about the referee who reffed a game in New York one night and then LA the next shows a huge need for better scheduling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad