Canucks' Training Camp Thread

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Honestly I woudln't be surprised if Schroeder is cut due to waiver wire bs and Mike Gillis being scared in losing journeyman ebbett.

Frankly Mike is the most overrated GM in this league. Heck I'm still angry that Luongo is still in our team. You already made a statement that Scheider was your number 1, why carry the extra baggage?

Mike maybe its' time to give your prospects a chance.... there's really no point in drafting prospects if you don't. But really I'm not surprised.. Mike has a terrible drafting record, IMO even worst then Nonis.

I agree with Gillis' action, Luongo is worth more than Bozak + Kadri, Luongo is a upstanding team-mate and will not poison the locker room.

The season is short and dense, having two starters is a huge advantage. I bet you'll see much wear and tear on many teams' starters when the playoffs roll around.

We can hold onto Luongo till trade deadline and get much more back in return. I don't see a single downside to having Lu on this team.

CM-

Mar 15, 2007
Edmonton
Well im sure they'd be fine with 8 but they want to go into the season with 9 so that they can cut it down and still have 8.. if you go in with 8 and one fails miserably, youre left with 7. Not what they want im sure

They want a better look at the depth D before cutting them im sure

Yes but at the same time Gillis can probably throw a 7th out for the GMs and get a better defenseman than Cam Barker, Yes he can pass the puck but that is it. Every other area he is weak at. And what is the point of having him if he will be detrimental to your team in the long run we need the extra Forward and Schroeder is a better option than Ebbett. This is the issue I understand not wanting to lose something for nothing but when you can replace them for a small cost at the most (or get an improvement in Barker's case) I'm sorry that is piss-poor managing imo.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
If they're planning on sending him down, then why even invite him to camp in the first place? It's not like this just popped up on them all of a sudden.

Geez. Waive Barker and be done with him. Connauton's a better 9th defenseman anyhow.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'd imagine that they'll try to retain Barker simply because they obviously saw enough in him to sign him to a contract, and so it would be surprising to see them be willing to lose him like 2 weeks later. For better or for worse.

Also, I guess it could be figured that since the team didn't give Barker league minimum, there must have been some other interest in him.

While that may be true, I don't understand why you'd weaken the team that you're actually icing for games to protect against a hypothetical situation where you have three injured defencemen, especially when in that circumstance the alternative probably isn't any worse.

Gillis also mentioned today on the radio that they'd like to leave open an opportunity for Kevin Connauton, so it's not as though they don't have another puckmover to replace Barker with.

(This is all assuming that they prefer Schroeder to Ebbett).

Scottrockztheworld*

If they're planning on sending him down, then why even invite him to camp in the first place? It's not like this just popped up on them all of a sudden.

Geez. Waive Barker and be done with him. Connauton's a better 9th defenseman anyhow.

Almost word for word what I was saying about Corrado during the WK camp when size was apparently the issue. :laugh:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
(This is all assuming that they prefer Schroeder to Ebbett).

Given their comments that they want him to play not sit on the bench and then the fact that he's still on the team right now instead of being with the Wolves, I think it's clear they want to find a way to keep him with the team. I don't get why they find it so important to keep Barker but whatever...

(He could've still flown and been in Chicago in time for their game today if they made their decision earlier. That to me proves they want him on the team.)

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Would putting Booth on LTIR do anything?

No, other than reducing the amount of his LTIR exemption they could use once the season starts.

Just to correct earlier posts people have been making, Kesler and Booth will not be going on LTIR to start the season since the Canucks aren't out of cap space yet (they still have about $2M). They'll be put on IR and there will be a 23 man roster made without them. Right now there are 24 players other than them so Schroeder will be sent down.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Why not just punt him to waivers and eat the cost if he clears? Alberts is redundant with Vandermeer here.
Because Alberts is a servicable depth defenseman? Barker is clearly the odd man out here in terms of skills and what he can bring to the table. I have no idea why the team wants him so much.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I would argue that Alberts is a better player. He's the #7 on this defense. Barker is the redundant one.
Better than Vandermeer? I don't agree with that; however, Barker should be the one to go.
Because Alberts is a servicable depth defenseman? Barker is clearly the odd man out here in terms of skills and what he can bring to the table. I have no idea why the team wants him so much.
I agree Barker is the one to go. I'd sooner see Alberts go than Vandermeer.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Schroeder didn't get cut yet and Gillis being high on him and wanting to give him a chance leads me to believe that if they send him down it will only be for a 24 hour period.

Just enough time to waive one of Vandermeer or barker who, given rosters will be set, are more likely to make it through at that point. Once cleared vandermeer/Barker will be demoted and Schroeder called back up.

Or Gillis looks to move Alberts today for pretty much nothing.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I won't be fussed if Schroeder's on the team Saturday if that's the cost of keeping both Ebbett and Schroeder on the team for the season (Ebbett is a nice 13th forward to have available). I say that assuming that he'd be back for Sunday's game. If he's left down for any significant period without being given a chance, that's an issue,

Barker looked worse than a lot of the prospects that were brought up - waive him and hope he gets claimed.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Schroeder didn't get cut yet and Gillis being high on him and wanting to give him a chance leads me to believe that if they send him down it will only be for a 24 hour period.

Just enough time to waive one of Vandermeer or barker who, given rosters will be set, are more likely to make it through at that point. Once cleared vandermeer/Barker will be demoted and Schroeder called back up.

That's how I see it as well. There's really no reason to keep Schroeder on at this point unless you want him on the team. He could've been in Chicago playing and helping the Wolves.

Me too. When you consider how AV usually talks about prospects I think it's safe to say AV likes Schroeder.

AV saying that he doesn't see any issue in your defensive coverage is probably the biggest compliment you can get. :laugh:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

That's what I suspect will happen. Carrying 9 defensemen and only 12 forwards is an untenable situation for more than a few days.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

That actually makes some sense.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The first $900K wouldn't count.

Is it that his total cap number counts towards the cap hit but the canucks can use 900k of that cap hit to call someone up without acquiring further cap hit (i.e. someone that makes 900k or less) OR that the difference between his cap hit and 900k is what goes towards the cap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad