Canucks' Training Camp Thread

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Can't risk losing a player like Barker to waivers right?:sarcasm:

Canucks used 9 defensemen last year. There was a lockout this year. Aside from Tanev and Barker, nobody on the Canucks D has played a game since last spring. I don't really think it's a bad idea to retain as much depth as they can.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Canucks used 9 defensemen last year. There was a lockout this year. Aside from Tanev and Barker, nobody on the Canucks D has played a game since last spring. I don't really think it's a bad idea to retain as much depth as they can.

No kidding. Out of our top 4, I'll be shocked if more than 1 plays a full 48 games.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

Frankly, I don't see Barker much of an upgrade (if any) over any of the usual waiver wire defensemen made available throughout even a shortened season.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Frankly, I don't see Barker much of an upgrade (if any) over any of the usual waiver wire defensemen made available throughout even a shortened season.

The thing is that you can't assume that a guy will happen to be available when they need him. Also the new guy will be totally unfamiliar when he arrives.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The thing is that you can't assume that a guy will happen to be available when they need him. Also the new guy will be totally unfamiliar when he arrives.
Again, I hope I'm proven wrong but I don't think any amount of time will acclimate Barker to the Canucks system.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'm not thrilled on Barker, either, but they clearly see something in him so I can at least understand their logic.
Normally I might give them the benefit of the doubt but some of our pro scouting seems to be spotty at best. Hopefully the same scouts that recommended Sturm aren't the same ones that scouted Barker.....

Outside99*

For each of the last 4 years, Canucks have seen 8 to 9 dmen play AT least 25 games; of course, we had that one year where they had to reach deeep and 12 d were employed if memory serves (but only for a few games in case of depth d #10,11,12)

Which means, Alberts, Barker and Vandermeer are probably going to play 25+ games on defence each. Just like teams like the Hawks used to send players like Toews and kane out when our 4th line jumped on the ice (circa Ryan Johnson and Hordichuk), same thing going to happen when those D are out there.*

* this btw, is the explanation why the Sedins don't fare any better offensively when they get the O zone face-off. its because the other team gets to send their best defensive players against them (unless its an icing). Always better for them to change on the fly, IMO.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
^

And we let go a D that missed a grand total of 5 games in his two seasons as a Canuck.:sarcasm:

(oddly enough, same player ends up missing 16 games in his first season with his new team).

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
For each of the last 4 years, Canucks have seen 8 to 9 dmen play AT least 25 games; of course, we had that one year where they had to reach deeep and 12 d were employed if memory serves (but only for a few games in case of depth d #10,11,12)

Which means, Alberts, Barker and Vandermeer are probably going to play 25+ games on defence each. Just like teams like the Hawks used to send players like Toews and kane out when our 4th line jumped on the ice (circa Ryan Johnson and Hordichuk), same thing going to happen when those D are out there.*

* this btw, is the explanation why the Sedins don't fare any better offensively when they get the O zone face-off. its because the other team gets to send their best defensive players against them (unless its an icing). Always better for them to change on the fly, IMO.

You mean 10-15 games? (short season)

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
No time to read through the thread, but I still maintain that something else is in the works here. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Just realized how little the thread had progressed. Read it. Still maintain something else is in the works here. Maybe a trade. Maybe for whatever reason Gilman feels putting Barker on waivers tomorrow is safer. I trust his judgement. Schroeder won't be down for long.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Ugh. People are honestly counting on Volpatti as some necessary physical element of our fourth line? Gross.

The guy's awful, IMO.

This right here.

The upside is just not there, turning 28 soon.

He's a reserve 4th line forward at best.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
If only Pinizzotto could stay healthy.

Dunno if you watched many Wolves games, but Pinizzotto quickly became my favourite player down there. His energy is infectious, and not many players have that. He would be a great addition to the lineup, and I hope he gets his shot this year.

stevecanuck16

Jul 28, 2009
He's the Wolves' very own Burrows.

A great comparison. I watched a fair amount of the Moose during the last lockout and I was similarly impressed with Burrows at that time.

One difference is that Pinizzotto can actually fight his way out of a wet paper bag.

Golden Boy

The Spy in Beantown
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Undercover

Look at that. Alberts isn't a team player, he boarded Rainman! Trade him for scraps :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, wtf Alberts? Are you Pejorative Slured? It's an inter squad scrimmage...

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012

Look at that. Alberts isn't a team player, he boarded Rainman! Trade him for scraps :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

But in all seriousness, wtf Alberts? Are you Pejorative Slured? It's an inter squad scrimmage...

haha saw a couple people mentioning this in the scrimmage thread and was wondering what happened

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Ain't nothing wrong with that...if Alberts isn't playing hard he isn't going to play at all. Looked to me that if he really wanted to crush Raymond he could have.

Golden Boy

The Spy in Beantown
Mar 24, 2012
Currently Undercover
Ain't nothing wrong with that...if Alberts isn't playing hard he isn't going to play at all. Looked to me that if he really wanted to crush Raymond he could have.

True, but a hit like that could easily injure a player. Especially someone of Raymond's stature, especially since he broke his back. And if Raymond gets injured, then our forward lineup would look pretty bad. It's a risk/reward thing and that was a pretty high risk hit. It's probably why Raymond swung back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad