Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner, one for one, no salary retained.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
If Green can fix Spooner this trade is a win. They will give him top six minutes and see if he can demonstrate some chemistry. I think this is a low risk trade because I feel Green is personally involved in personnel decisions. So, he must have wanted the guy!

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If Green can fix Spooner this trade is a win. They will give him top six minutes and see if he can demonstrate some chemistry. I think this is a low risk trade because I feel Green is personally involved in personnel decisions. So, he must have wanted the guy!
I don't think Green had anything to do with this trade (and I don't think he really has much patience with perimeter players either)...Benning had Spooner in Boston,there's the connection.

It is low risk though, just a swap..If it does indeed produce good results..then all good...but it is a wee bit of a Hail Mary.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
Lot's of young players with offense get an extended looks while the coach tries to fix them. When it becomes apparent the coaches have exhausted themselves and these players can't be taught or don't want to learn/change, there will be no light bulb moment, they get turfed.

Boston also wasn't very good when Spooner broke into the league. A lack of depth on the wing beyond Marchand, and eventually Pastrnak, gave him a sustained opportunity in the top 6. Spooner was uncontested for his spot on Krejci's wing for two years. His competition was guys like Beleskey, Vatrano and Connolly. When they finally had depth with the emergence of Debrusk and Heinen, Spooner was moved out.

I get reasoning for the trade given the Canucks lack of skill on the wing especially with Baerstchi's future in doubt. It's just odd they're bringing in a guy who is essentially a reclaimation project version of Goldobin while Goldy is struggling to get in the line-up and rumoured to be on the block. Weird.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It's a nothing trade that originated from a bad UFA signing. I mean, you say Gagner wasn't doing anything for us evening in the minors but that was completely self inflicted. Unless Spooner actually does anything for the Canucks we're still left with a negative value asset on the team, and early on I'm getting the impression that Edmonton will get more value for themselves out of Gagner than they did with Spooner, and probably more than we'll get out of Spooner.

I totally agree with you on the latter point but that's only because that is becoming a bit of a trend here in Canuck land and provides compelling evidence that this team is not only being managed in a less than terrific manner but is also suffering from terrible coaching. Why do you think so many people here say that a) Guddy is "the worst player in the NHL" out of one side of their mouths and then say b) we should be able to get significant assets for him in a trade out of the other side. I'm willing to bet money that if we trade Guddy he will suddenly look like a much better defenseman elsewhere than he does here and I would be shocked if Gagner doesn't stay in the NHL for the rest of this season. After all Nilsson is proving my point quite nicely playing for the worst team in the league and Liepsic and Del Zotto looked a lot better playing against us rather than for us...

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Boston also wasn't very good when Spooner broke into the league. A lack of depth on the wing beyond Marchand, and eventually Pastrnak, gave him a sustained opportunity in the top 6. Spooner was uncontested for his spot on Krejci's wing for two years. His competition was guys like Beleskey, Vatrano and Connolly. When they finally had depth with the emergence of Debrusk and Heinen, Spooner was moved out.

I get reasoning for the trade given the Canucks lack of skill on the wing especially with Baerstchi's future in doubt. It's just odd they're bringing in a guy who is essentially a reclaimation project version of Goldobin while Goldy is struggling to get in the line-up and rumoured to be on the block. Weird.

Spooner didn't play with Kreijci very much. He mostly centred Hayes and Beleskey.

Reactions: Peen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Spooner is as baffling player.....when he's hot, he's hot....when he's 'not' he's 'not' big-time....looks like he might struggle with confidence at times. His attention to detail on the defensive side of the puck is what will will determine how he fares under Green.

But hard to understand how a player with a reputation for putting up points could have flopped so completely in Edmonton--a team starved for offense.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Unfortunately, this is a case of a player who two teams have moved on from. I don't know what kind of black magic is expected to turn him around here. Still better than leaving Gagner on the Marlies, but that's damning with faint praise.

These are the types of moves that Benning has utterly failed at. This is not Leivo or Baertschi.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Jesus Christ.

Why even post opinions here at all?

Anything could happen! What’s happened in the past means nothing! Pfffft to statistical evidence and arguments! Everything is great!

This is a board for posting opinions and backing them up with evidence. I think Spooner is a bad player and have said why. Maybe I’ll be wrong! But usually I’m not.
Wow! Conceited much.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
The reason I ask whether people think it is a bad trade or not is because I simply can't see a serious downside to this. We had a player that was costing us 3 mil a year who was deemed so useless to us that he wasn't even playing in our organization but was instead toiling for another org and helping them develop their minor league players. No benefit to us whatsoever. Now we have a player who will play for us, at least somewhere. It's that simple and to someone who has no axe to grind it can only be a positive.

Folks have made the argument as to why it could be a negative. But you're asking them to go one step further and say things that they haven't said, and I think it's because you're taking a perceived bias that other people have and are trying to hold their feet to the fire over it.

Those worried about whether Spooner takes up a spot in out NHL lineup to the detriment of some minor leaguer's development (like who? Gaudette?) are, of course, confusing who they should be directing their criticism at.

I'm more concerned about what will happen beyond this season, because, again, this organization has shown a track record of routinely going to the Isle of Broken Toys and bringing a new prize to put on display. He's signed through to next season and is going to be eating up cap space and presumably a roster spot. I don't see this as a simple band-aid fix to stem the tide for injuries, and Spooner isn't someone I'm expecting to see light the world on fire.

He looks to be trending in the wrong direction, although he's on the right side of 30, so there's that. Green might be able to turn him into something useful for this team, but that's a big if. Again, as MS has said, this is his fourth organization he's been a part of (Boston > New York > Edmonton > Vancouver) and teams tend hang onto assets that are performing and this should be factored in when evaluating this trade.

If Spooner is put on the top line and sucks but isn't moved from there and indeed wastes a prime roster space then who do we blame? Benning? It isn't Benning who determines who plays on what line, it's Green who never ever seems to get any real criticism here.

Green will of course try to find a fit for his new player, but if he ends up meeting the gloomy expectations, what is he supposed to do with him? We already have enough bottom six players to choke a horse and I can't see Spooner being a great fit there. He's sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Unless we receive some insight that Green was the one advocating for a trade for Spooner, I'm not sure that we can really criticize Green for determining the worth of the trade. Benning was the one who made this decision to pull the trigger on this deal, and Benning (the talent whisperer, remember) was the one who has given Green this new player.

If Spooner sinks to the bottom of the NHL depth chart but doesn't get sent down to Utica THEN it is time to castigate Benning. Since we are technically still fighting for a playoff spot it seems to me that giving Spooner a chance to regain his 40 point form is a better idea than leaving Gaudette up with the big club and continuing with his 20 point pace (and inconsistent play, at least IMHO). Essentially it is now a competition between Spooner and Gaudette; whoever plays the best stays up, at least theoretically. Spending more time in Utica isn't going to hurt Gaudette and if he comes up then Spooner in Utica will be a shot in the arm there. Win win unless, of course, you are looking for something to whine about...

I'm not really keen on having an NHL GM and noted talent whisperer making moves with players who have question marks, simply because I don't have the confidence that his 'talent whispering' is up to snuff. I'm all for Spooner surprising, but I also think that's a pretty big ask.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Folks have made the argument as to why it could be a negative. But you're asking them to go one step further and say things that they haven't said, and I think it's because you're taking a perceived bias that other people have and are trying to hold their feet to the fire over it.

I'm more concerned about what will happen beyond this season, because, again, this organization has shown a track record of routinely going to the Isle of Broken Toys and bringing a new prize to put on display. He's signed through to next season and is going to be eating up cap space and presumably a roster spot. I don't see this as a simple band-aid fix to stem the tide for injuries, and Spooner isn't someone I'm expecting to see light the world on fire.

He looks to be trending in the wrong direction, although he's on the right side of 30, so there's that. Green might be able to turn him into something useful for this team, but that's a big if. Again, as MS has said, this is his fourth organization he's been a part of (Boston > New York > Edmonton > Vancouver) and teams tend hang onto assets that are performing and this should be factored in when evaluating this trade.

Green will of course try to find a fit for his new player, but if he ends up meeting the gloomy expectations, what is he supposed to do with him? We already have enough bottom six players to choke a horse and I can't see Spooner being a great fit there. He's sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Unless we receive some insight that Green was the one advocating for a trade for Spooner, I'm not sure that we can really criticize Green for determining the worth of the trade. Benning was the one who made this decision to pull the trigger on this deal, and Benning (the talent whisperer, remember) was the one who has given Green this new player.

I'm not really keen on having an NHL GM and noted talent whisperer making moves with players who have question marks, simply because I don't have the confidence that his 'talent whispering' is up to snuff. I'm all for Spooner surprising, but I also think that's a pretty big ask.

So you would be happier if the trade never happened? I'm confused here. We took a 3 million dollar sinkhole and turned it into...SOMETHING. Nobody is expecting Spooner to "set the world on fire" but if the management/coaching staff do their jobs then he will help us somewhere in the org either in the NHL or in the AHL something Gagner was NEVER going to do. One thing I can tell you: even if Spooner takes off here the Benning haters will find a way to criticize this trade. They will be pissed that they can't complain about the Gagner signing any more and talk a lot about "garbage time". Their worst nightmare is if this guy goes on a tear...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I think Spooner and Schaller are just an ingenious way to get a 1st out of the Bruins at the trade deadline...:sarcasm:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I expect Gagner to be the better player between he and Spooner, but given the position the Canucks were in with Gagner this trade, in isolation, seems alright to me.

Firstly, there's the chance Spooner actually is good enough to play. Gagner was unlikely to get a chance to do that. I doubt that Spooner will actually help the Canucks, but am certain Gagner wasn't helping.

Either way, the trade adds a player for the Comets, directly if Spooner is sent down or indirectly if it is another player sent down while Spooner stays with the Canucks.

Given the position between the Canucks and Gagner I don't think the Canucks lose on this trade. The Comets gain and it is possible the Oilers will as well.

Reactions: Zippgunn

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
As useless as they both seem, I have more faith in Spooner as a reclamation project. The Gagner signing was bad to the point that we really had nothing to lose trying out a different player with the same value.

Especially if it means that Spooner would be Utica and not Toronto bound in a worst case scenario.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
As useless as they both seem, I have more faith in Spooner as a reclamation project. The Gagner signing was bad to the point that we really had nothing to lose trying out a different player with the same value.

Especially if it means that Spooner would be Utica and not Toronto bound in a worst case scenario.
So people are still assuming Benning makes a smart move and papers Spooner down?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm sure it was galling for Utica fans to see Gagner in the lineup every time they played the Marlies. At least that uncomfortable scenario has gone away. And Spooner, like Gagner, is signed for another season. So if he can't help the Canucks, he could play out of the final year of his contract in Utica.

There certainly isn't a chance with his cap contract number that he'd ever be claimed on waivers.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
So you would be happier if the trade never happened? I'm confused here. We took a 3 million dollar sinkhole and turned it into...SOMETHING.

I'm 'meh' on this deal. It all depends on what happens with him this season and the next. If he's forcefed top 6 minutes when he clearly isn't suited for such a role, I'm not going to be keen on it, because this is the org just doing what the org does.

If Spooner is just a stop-gap, fills in then gets sent to Utica, I'm still 'meh' on the deal because I don't think that our talent whisperer of a GM should be making moves to put a $4M dollar player into the minors. Is it an improvement? Sure, but it's an improvement in the same vein that if Eriksson were to cut his hair he might become a little more aerodynamic on the ice -- nice, but largely not impactful.

Nobody is expecting Spooner to "set the world on fire" but if the management/coaching staff do their jobs then he will help us somewhere in the org either in the NHL or in the AHL something Gagner was NEVER going to do. One thing I can tell you: even if Spooner takes off here the Benning haters will find a way to criticize this trade. They will be pissed that they can't complain about the Gagner signing any more and talk a lot about "garbage time". Their worst nightmare is if this guy goes on a tear...

That may have been a poor choice of words on my behalf, but all I mean is if Spooner meets/exceeds expectations, that's about the only way I'll be happy with this move. It's not a bad move (unless Spooner falls into the 'must have plum minutes' trap that we've seen with other players) but was it really all that necessary?

And folks can still complain about the Gagner signing. It still happened, him getting moved to Edmonton doesn't change the optics of the deal.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Alright.

I will set the over/under on Spooner's games for the Canucks at 99.5.

Place your bets.

He is under contract for next season.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Boston, NYR and Edmonton have all given up on Spooner in rather short succession. When Spooner isn't scoring, he's about the most useless player in the entire NHL. And he doesn't score alot. Now Pettersson and Boeser has to drag his sorry ass around. Useless trade for a useless player.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Alright.

I will set the over/under on Spooner's games for the Canucks at 99.5.

Place your bets.

He is under contract for next season.
under easy.

He probably gets hurt driving a golf cart down a cliff by April 7th. He is a Canuck now after all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad