Confirmed with Link: Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner, one for one, no salary retained.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Didn't mind his first game..you can see the frustrations though. Muffin shot gets rubbed out with ease

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Didn't mind his first game..you can see the frustrations though. Muffin shot gets rubbed out with ease

I saw what was expected I think....a player that seems to read the play well on offense but likes to sit on the perimeter (or is easily forced to the perimeter). Have to see what happens moving forward but day 1 didn't change my opinion on the player.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah I can see why they started to call him the Canadian version of Goldy
He seems to skate faster and see the game better than Goldy after a small eye test

Reactions: Nomobo

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
If he can find his game the way he did in Boston then it's an obvious win for us, if not, well then it's basically a wash. Gagner wasn't going to get another shot here anyways

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
So was Matt Tkachuk.

Oh, wait . . .

Exactly. People who advocate the tank as a mechanism to rid ourselves of Jim Benning don't seem to realize that if he gets a chance to pick high (and if he is as horrible as they say) he will probably just pick another Gagner (or Juolevi or Guddy or...)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Exactly. People who advocate the tank as a mechanism to rid ourselves of Jim Benning don't seem to realize that if he gets a chance to pick high (and if he is as horrible as they say) he will probably just pick another Gagner (or Juolevi or Guddy or...)
or Pettersson
It’s too naive to assume every high pick is gonna bust. High end prospects are ranked high by multiple central scouting for a reason

Bad GM doesn’t magically turn talented prospect into bust

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Reminder to tank nation: Gagner was a 6th overall pick...

They would've gotten Patrick Kane if they didn't mount a comeback from 2-0 against the Flames and win a meaningless final game of the year. Good thing the winning atmosphere from that game carried over.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I haven't been watching but it seems like it's going to become pretty apparent that Gagner is a better player than Spooner. Only thing that's actually worse here is that Chiarelli managed to trade Ryan Strome for him in the first place this season. I mean Strome never lived up to his draft hype but he seems like a serviceable NHLer at least.

Man it's really infuriating that these clowns somehow managed to beat us out for the Stanley Cup. Only bright spot is that Edmonton got to share in the misery too.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I haven't been watching but it seems like it's going to become pretty apparent that Gagner is a better player than Spooner. Only thing that's actually worse here is that Chiarelli managed to trade Ryan Strome for him in the first place this season. I mean Strome never lived up to his draft hype but he seems like a serviceable NHLer at least.

Man it's really infuriating that these clowns somehow managed to beat us out for the Stanley Cup. Only bright spot is that Edmonton got to share in the misery too.

Perhaps the trade was made because Benning is high on Spooner (we'll never know for sure) but if so there are several reasons to like the Gagner for Spooner trade.

1. Adds a player for the Comets. Unfortunately it is done indirectly as Spooner, like Schaller, seems to be staying up with the Canucks-but at least it means the Comets get to keep one of their players for a playoff drive rather than lose a player to the Canucks with Gagner unavailable.

2. Removes a player from the Marlies.

3. If as is likely Gagner provides more for the Oilers than Spooner for the Canucks, the trade might help the Canucks' unintentional rebuild by having them draft ahead of the Oilers.

4. Sam Gagner seems like an ok guy and the trade looks good for him. I'd think this might have been the main reason for making the trade, except that Spooner is playing on the Canucks' top line.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Perhaps the trade was made because Benning is high on Spooner (we'll never know for sure) but if so there are several reasons to like the Gagner for Spooner trade.

1. Adds a player for the Comets. Unfortunately it is done indirectly as Spooner, like Schaller, seems to be staying up with the Canucks-but at least it means the Comets get to keep one of their players for a playoff drive rather than lose a player to the Canucks with Gagner unavailable.

2. Removes a player from the Marlies.

3. If as is likely Gagner provides more for the Oilers than Spooner for the Canucks, the trade might help the Canucks' unintentional rebuild by having them draft ahead of the Oilers.

4. Sam Gagner seems like an ok guy and the trade looks good for him. I'd think this might have been the main reason for making the trade, except that Spooner is playing on the Canucks' top line.
I think the trade was made because Baertschi and Virtanen are out..The Canucks are thin on the wing in the top 6 (even resorting to using bottom 6 players on the top 2 lines).

Gagner should help the Oilers,..he may even help get them into a playoff spot..Oilers would be easy first round playoff fodder..I would rather have a higher pick.

Personally,I don't see Spooner on the team after this season..Greens patience with perimeter players does not last very long..On a positive note,Goldy looked like a real player last night..hopefully,he can maintain it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad