Canucks Trade Deadline Predictions

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
You answered your own question to some extent. Hamhuis is 33 and he's on an expiring contract. His play has fallen off dramatically, yes, but there can be no reasonable expectation it will get better. He had a great WC last year. Contract status = low risk acquisition. Age and recent play on the decline but WC proves he can still play. He will not have greater value in the future compared to now.

If you're correct he'll never have enough trade value to be worth moving.

What do you really think a 33 YO rental who may be ineffective because of injury and age-related decline and is coming off two mediocre seasons is worth right now? If you say a 1st or a 2nd then there's this bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn I'd like to sell.

I think his trade value as a rental is next to nil. It can go up if he comes back and shows effectiveness before the trade deadline. Otherwise, logically it really can't get much lower than it already is.

$4.5 million hit for 2-3 months play when he's coming back from injury and might not be fit enough to help a good team and whose play during the season this year and last wouldn't be much if any help to a good team does not suggest he's worth trading for.

If he comes back and is good his trade value could go almost as high as people are suggesting. Right now? I think people are vastly overrating what a gm is likely to pay.

Don't get me wrong. I think Hamhuis has been a very good player and actually think he might come back and still be effective. It just seems to me that with his last two seasons and current injury people are vastly overrating what a GM should pay for him as a rental.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
General feeling here in Utica is that Grenier can be sent packing as part of a deal.... Pretty disappointing lately......

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, depressingly, this is the likely outcome of the trade deadline...Benning will refuse to pull the trigger on deals for Hamhuis, Vrbata and Prust, and they all walk in the off-season for nothing....and meanwhile the team goes on a min-run and finishes ninth in the conference which gives them the 14th selection in the draft....mediocrity times two.

Sad, but will not surprise me at all

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
3. Having more than our usual 7 picks at the draft - not likely

As it stands, the Canucks have 5 picks for the upcoming draft. They lost their 3rd (Pedan) and 5th (Prust). They may gain a 2nd if CBJ opts to give up this year's pick (Torts).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Chris Higgins- Nashville
Alex Burrows- Vancouver
Dan Hamhuis- Colorado
Radim Vrbata- St Louis
Brandon Prust- Kelowna Rockets
Ryan Miller- Vancouver
Alex Edler- Vancouver
Chris Tanev- Vancouver

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
As it stands, the Canucks have 5 picks for the upcoming draft. They lost their 3rd (Pedan) and 5th (Prust). They may gain a 2nd if CBJ opts to give up this year's pick (Torts).

Got one from eddie lack (7th)
Better ****ing get a couple more at the deadline.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
In regards to Dan Hamhuis

If he waves his no trade clause I can see a deal to Washington for there 1st overall pick... ( most likely 30th overall )

Hamhuis would do this as it would give him a great chance to win the cup and Barry Trotz knowa him and is a huge fan..

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
In regards to Dan Hamhuis

If he waves his no trade clause I can see a deal to Washington for there 1st overall pick... ( most likely 30th overall )

Hamhuis would do this as it would give him a great chance to win the cup and Barry Trotz knowa him and is a huge fan..
This is really the perfect chance to trade him, get a pick, and resign him for a bit of a deal.

Itd be very dissapointing if that doesnt happen.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site

As mentioned, they got a 7th rounder for Lack.

They also got a 3rd rounder back from Pittsburgh in the Sutter deal (either NYI's own which was traded to PIT eventually or our own original pick back which we traded for Pedan but now PIT owns - we get the better of the two picks).

We do have 7 picks this year: 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round, 6th round, 7th round, 7th round.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Canucks.htm

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

They also got a 3rd rounder back from Pittsburgh in the Sutter deal (either NYI's own which was traded to PIT eventually or our own original pick back which we traded for Pedan but now PIT owns - we get the better of the two picks).

We do have 7 picks this year: 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round, 6th round, 7th round, 7th round.

hopefully they get another 1st round pick and a 5th back

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Got one from eddie lack (7th)
Better ****ing get a couple more at the deadline.

Go go research.

canuckzote5

Jan 11, 2016
Not all of the listed players are trade bait and most won't be sold but it's just for fun :)

Fill in your predictions on who you think is going, and who you think is staying. Specify the team if they are going.

Chris Higgins-stays/buyout
Alex Burrows-stays
Dan Hamhuis-pittsburgh/washington
Radim Vrbata-nashville/minnesota
Brandon Prust-LA
Ryan Miller-stays
Alex Edler-stays
Chris Tanev-stays

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Chris Higgins- Nashville
Alex Burrows- Vancouver
Dan Hamhuis- Washington(1st+Prospect)
Radim Vrbata- Montreal
Brandon Prust- San Jose
Ryan Miller- Vancouver
Alex Edler- Vancouver
Chris Tanev- Vancouver

I have a HUGE feeling there will a surprise blockbuster from Benning(Like the Hodgson/Kassian deal) I have no clue why. :laugh:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Chris Higgins-stays in Utica, ends up in Europe.
Alex Burrows-stays in Vancouver, is a buyout candidate
Dan Hamhuis-accepts trade to Islanders
Radim Vrbata-stays in Vancouver, signs with Coyotes in offseason.
Brandon Prust-waived to Utica before deadline
Ryan Miller-stays in Vancouver, is traded in offseason.
Alex Edler-a fixture
Chris Tanev-another fixture

I do not think there will be market for old Canucks. The assets that might garner credible return are not going to be offered.

A real danger is that Benning doesn't keep his word and sells off young assets. Even as he said it he was making a declarative statement not stating a fact. It's great rhetoric but presupposes market conditions. I do not doubt that a shrewd GM with a sour asset might strip Benning.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Not all of the listed players are trade bait and most won't be sold but it's just for fun :)

Fill in your predictions on who you think is going, and who you think is staying. Specify the team if they are going.

Chris Higgins- Florida
Alex Burrows- Staying
Dan Hamhuis- Pittsburgh
Radim Vrbata- Washington
Brandon Prust- KHL
Ryan Miller- Staying
Alex Edler- Staying
Chris Tanev-Staying

This would be my prediction.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Chris Higgins-
Alex Burrows-
Dan Hamhuis-
Radim Vrbata-
Brandon Prust-
Ryan Miller-
Alex Edler-
Chris Tanev-
Higgins brought back up
Burrows stays
Hamhuis extended to a 6 yr 36m contract with full nmc
Vrbata extended to a 6 year 36m contract with full nmc
Prust extended to a 3 year 9m contract with full nmc
Miller CBA rewritten to allow a 5 year 8m extentsion with full nmc
Bartkowski extended to a 4 yr 16m deal partial ntc to lower cap hit
Edler moved with a 6th for a 2nd (cap relief to allow us to fit bartkowski)
Tanev and our first to Toronto for phaneuf
Hansen as a cap dump to anybody for a 3rd or 4th

Benning !!! :D:D:D

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It says something, and not in a positive way, that Benning could trade both Vrbata and Hamhuis, it wouldn't likely have much of an impact on their play down the stretch....both guys well on the north side of 30, and play has dramatically fallen off....but the deadline is when Benning could maximize their value.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
It says something, and not in a positive way, that Benning could trade both Vrbata and Hamhuis, it wouldn't likely have much of an impact on their play down the stretch....both guys well on the north side of 30, and play has dramatically fallen off....but the deadline is when Benning could maximize their value.
Absolutely.

With Hamhuis out injured for 2 months and Vrbata effectively playing on the second line, it shows how we could still be playoff scrapers. Although I do love the chemistry of that Bae-BoHo-Vrbs line

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
If you're correct he'll never have enough trade value to be worth moving.

$4.5 million hit for 2-3 months play when he's coming back from injury and might not be fit enough to help a good team ...

You do realize any deal would see his salary pro-rated, right? If he agrees to go, we would get the equivalent of a 1st rounder because 1) Hamhuis is considered a sound, stabilizing top-4 D-man, 2) his experience and leadership skills, and 3) GMs go crazy at the deadline looking for someone who can help extend a serious playoff run.
I see Washington as the best fit, but wouldn't be surprised if Minny makes a dark horse deal. Pittsburgh doesn't matchup well with what we need and what they should reasonable give, but Rutherfords crazy.
Higgins - Phoenix 5th rder
Burrows - stays
Prust - NYI 7th rder
Vrbata - Nashville 2-3rd rd picks
Miller - stays
Weber - Florida 6th rder

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Chris Higgins- Utica
Alex Burrows- Ducks
Dan Hamhuis- Pens
Radim Vrbata- Panthers
Brandon Prust- Utica
Ryan Miller- Stay
Alex Edler- Stay
Chris Tanev- Stay

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
I see Hamhuis being a nice piece for Washington.
Vrbata a nice piece for Nashville or St. Louis.
Burrows reunited with Kesler in Anaheim? maybe! I think he stays though.
Higgins hopefully can go help out NYI's 4th line..it'd be nice to see him get on a team., if not them though he probably plays in Utica.
Small deal involving Grenier to get a 23 old Center for Utica
Prust waived as I can't see anyone taking him
Bartkowski stays and signs an extension, 2 years, 2.25 per (do not want)
Biega signed to a 3 year contract at 1.65 per (I do want)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad