Canucks Trade Deadline Predictions

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Of all the FAs Vrby and Hammer make too much sense. They have value and the team can demonstrably win without them. Don't particularly care where just what they bring back. Prust will go for pittance. No players on longer deals will get moved except maybe Higgins.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still too early to predict who'll be gone....if the Canucks are still hanging around in the Pacific Division then I doubt Benning will be a major seller...but if they're on life-support by Feb. 28th then all bets are off....makes little or no sense not to trade Vrbata-Hamhuis because they're UFA's on July 1st and there's no way Jimbo has the cap room to re-sign them....but letting assets walk for nothing seems to be a modus operandi for this franchise....they'll likely trade only Prust and Higgins for the old 'future considerations', which is the equivalent of a bag of pucks.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Chris Higgins- won't be moved
Alex Burrows-won't be moved
Dan Hamhuis-won't be moved (Canucks have played well without him but I still think our D as a whole is too thin without him).
Radim Vrbata- 1st or 2nd IF the Canucks are out of contention
Brandon Prust- 3rd rounder
Ryan Miller- won't be moved
Alex Edler-won't be moved
Chris Tanev - won't be moved

Shinkaruk + 2016 1st + 2016 2nd gets moved for Jonathan Drouin. ;)

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Chris Higgins-Stays-Utica
Alex Burrows-Stays
Dan Hamhuis-Chicago- 1st+Prospect
Radim Vrbata-Minnesota or Nashville 1st
Brandon Prust-Montreal for 4th or 5th Rd pick.
Ryan Miller-Stays
Alex Edler-Stays
Chris Tanev-Stays

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Chris Higgins- Staying. Don't think anyone shows interest with the extra year on his contract.
Alex Burrows- Staying. His trade value likely isn't that high and we're probably better off keeping him.
Dan Hamhuis- Staying. Could see this being the case even if we completely drop off.
Radim Vrbata- Staying. Might see him moved if we're legitimately out of it.
Brandon Prust- Traded with a pick for a prospect.
Ryan Miller- Staying. Veteran net presence. :sarcasm:
Alex Edler- Staying.
Chris Tanev- Staying.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ryan Miller- Staying. Veteran net presence. :sarcasm:

During Torts' season here, Lack played quite well for the Canucks until Luongo was moved. Veteran net presence is a real thing.

Markstrom has played quite well this year but lets see how he does next season as sell before handing him the reigns. If the Canucks make the playoffs, lets see how he does there. It's entirely possible to be a great regular season goalie and sieve come playoff time (i.e. Dan Cloutier, Eddie Lack, etc.). Even the 2013 Cory Schneider was shaky in comparison to his regular season self.

Any back-up or 1A goalie can play well when you know there's another proven guy there to bail you out, or if you know that he will be coming back from injury after 'x' amount of time. It's an entirely different mindset however when you know you're going to be the guy.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Chris Higgins-New Jersey
Alex Burrows-Stays
Dan Hamhuis-Nashville
Radim Vrbata-Montreal
Brandon Prust-Dallas
Ryan Miller-Stays
Alex Edler-Stays
Chris Tanev-Stays

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Not all of the listed players are trade bait and most won't be sold but it's just for fun :)

Fill in your predictions on who you think is going, and who you think is staying. Specify the team if they are going.

Chris Higgins- Mtl Michael Bournival
Alex Burrows-
Dan Hamhuis-re sign 2x4
Radim Vrbata- Mtl Noah Juulsen
Brandon Prust- TB 5th
Ryan Miller-
Alex Edler-
Chris Tanev-
Luca Sbisa- Dall Stephen Johns
dare to dream

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
During Torts' season here, Lack played quite well for the Canucks until Luongo was moved. Veteran net presence is a real thing.

Markstrom has played quite well this year but lets see how he does next season as sell before handing him the reigns. If the Canucks make the playoffs, lets see how he does there. It's entirely possible to be a great regular season goalie and sieve come playoff time (i.e. Dan Cloutier, Eddie Lack, Ryan Miller etc.). Even the 2013 Cory Schneider was shaky in comparison to his regular season self.

Any back-up or 1A goalie can play well when you know there's another proven guy there to bail you out, or if you know that he will be coming back from injury after 'x' amount of time. It's an entirely different mindset however when you know you're going to be the guy.

Just like Markstrom to fold when given the #1 job or splitting time with another young goalie. God knows he sucked in that situation in Utica.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
With Hamhuis, keep in mind he can likely be re-signed in the summer as long as the trade isn't handled in such as way as to burn bridges.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Chris Higgins -
Alex Burrows -
Dan Hamhuis -
Radim Vrbata -
Brandon Prust -
Ryan Miller -
Alex Edler -
Matt Bartkowski -
Yannick Weber -

Tanev on the list is dumb. Might as well Horvat on there while you're at it. Added the awful defenseman on expiring contracts.

Chris Higgins - NYR for a contract swap
Alex Burrows - Vancouver
Dan Hamhuis - Pittsburgh/New Jersey for a 2nd, roster defenseman
Radim Vrbata - Florida for a 2nd and a 4th
Brandon Prust - Vancouver, leaves in the offseason
Ryan Miller - Vancouver
Alex Edler - Vancouver
Matt Bartkowski - Vancouver, one year extension
Yannick Weber - Pressbox duty

One of Hamhuis and Vrbata won't get traded though. Just really, really hoping that we don't acquire any rentals... could easily see Benning pull a 2006 Dave Nonis. :help:

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I share all's concerns that Benning will stand pat.

But in the Pacific Division this team could still sell a couple of UFA's and still compete for the playoffs. Biega has been filling in for Hamhuis....was Hamhuis really playing well before the injury? Henrik and Sutter coming back...I think they could live without Vrbata.

Hopefully someone has some brains in there to not let assets walk for nothing as UFAs in the summer when this team has a marginal chance to wina playoff round either way, even if they make it.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Benning won't trade any of his UFA's with the exception (maybe) of Prust but will make a trade of 1-2 draft picks for a borderline player that fits a perceived age gap somewhere in the roster. If he trades Vrbata he'll value him only as a 2nd round pick and trade him for a project defenseman in the mold of Adam Clendening/Linden Vey.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Not all of the listed players are trade bait and most won't be sold but it's just for fun :)

Fill in your predictions on who you think is going, and who you think is staying. Specify the team if they are going.

Chris Higgins- Montreal for 5th
Alex Burrows- Stays
Dan Hamhuis- Florida or Detroit for 1st
Radim Vrbata- Arizona or Detroit for 1st
Brandon Prust- Boston for 6th
Ryan Miller- Stays
Alex Edler- Stays
Chris Tanev- Stays

This

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Chris Higgins -
Alex Burrows -
Dan Hamhuis -
Radim Vrbata -
Brandon Prust -
Ryan Miller -
Alex Edler -
Matt Bartkowski -
Yannick Weber -

Tanev on the list is dumb. Might as well Horvat on there while you're at it. Added the awful defenseman on expiring contracts.

Chris Higgins - NYR for a contract swap
Alex Burrows - Vancouver
Dan Hamhuis - Pittsburgh/New Jersey for a 2nd, roster defenseman
Radim Vrbata - Florida for a 2nd and a 4th
Brandon Prust - Vancouver, leaves in the offseason
Ryan Miller - Vancouver
Alex Edler - Vancouver
Matt Bartkowski - Vancouver, one year extension
Yannick Weber - Pressbox duty

One of Hamhuis and Vrbata won't get traded though. Just really, really hoping that we don't acquire any rentals... could easily see Benning pull a 2006 Dave Nonis. :help:

There's no way Bart or Weber will get traded unless it's in a package with them being a smaller piece. Tanev won't get traded, he's our most unmovable piece on the team. (Well, close call) And I wanted to see what people wouild say and how they would react.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC

Chris Higgins- Vancouver
Alex Burrows- Vancouver
Dan Hamhuis- Vancouver (extended)
Radim Vrbata- Montreal (traded)
Brandon Prust- Vancouver (extended)
Ryan Miller- Vancouver
Alex Edler- Vancouver
Chris Tanev- Vancouver

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I fear Hamhuis and Vrbata won't be dealt, but I do remember Benning saying that there were no talks of extensions about a month ago. That said, he also said recently they weren't asked to waive NTCs. So we can only hope...

Chris Higgins-Stays and will be dealt in the offseason.
Alex Burrows-Stays
Dan Hamhuis-Dallas for a 1st
Radim Vrbata-Minnesota for a 2nd and 4th
Brandon Prust-Montreal for our 5th back
Ryan Miller-Stays
Alex Edler-Stays
Chris Tanev-Stays (Obviously...shouldn't be on this list)

I think Yannick Weber may also be dealt for a late pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad