Line Combos: Canucks Top 9

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone, hope this Thread is the right one as I couldn’t find a more relevant Title.

For those who don’t subscribe to THG. He’s not an insider or anything, just a fan of the Game who does a nice job of keeping up with the NHL and puts out a fair amount of content, which is nice during the off-season.

I thought some of you might enjoy his Season preview for the Team during these slow news days of August, or perhaps share this with someone just learning about the Team.

I find that although THG isn’t the most exciting personality, he breaks things down nicely for those newer to the Game or looking for regular content of the non-biased variety. As a fan of the Game, I personally enjoy his channel for the history aspect, he frequently delves into with many of his videos.

And some memes…
F0BE5713-AAB2-4A23-9CAA-9FCE19906231.jpeg
B1E216FE-D2E5-4EAA-A217-6E5B08CC8176.jpeg
DF6F4B70-64BE-4BFE-BF84-4C47CB389C78.jpeg
20E6A015-D3FD-417A-8A1C-24A9D7241341.jpeg

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
He mentioned that the Canucks a gave up a lot of odd man rushes, and they did, especially at the beginning of the season, where it was happening at an unbelievable rate. So is this a product of a bad group of defensemen or is it overall bad team play, and huge mental lapses by the forwards creating turnovers that put the defense in a bad situation. All those odd man rushes that led to goals are a big reason why the Canucks are viewed as having a poor group of defensemen.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Pettersson has improved his FO% every year. Went from 41.8 the year before to 45 last year. If he can take another step, that would give us more flexibility.

If we were to move Miller to 3C, then I would like to see Podkolzin get a shot on the top line. I think his puck retrieval, energy, passing, and physicality could be a nice complement to Petey and Boeser.

I haven't watched Dickenson closely, but his stats suggest he doesn't have much offense. If we are running three scoring lines then not sure he is a good fit on the 3C - but I'll have to wait to watch him play in a Canucks uniform.

Whatever we do, we should have more flexibility and I'd like to see Green use it and line juggle a little more, especially when some lines don't have much jump.

Podkolzin - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander
Highmore/Motte - Miller - Garland
Dickenson - Sutter - Motte/Highmore
He also takes very few faceoffs on the team when you consider he plays the center position (too small a sample size to render too much of an opinion). Green's decision that he's not good enough at that ability & Green is a multiple Jack Adams trophy winner.

Last edited:

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The thing is I never use to like cauliflower but had it recently roasted and seasoned with Tajin and thought it was better than chicken wings it was so good. Im sold

I dont know man, you want Boeser playing on the 3rd line with Sutter…

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
He also takes very few faceoffs on the team when you consider he plays the center position (too small a sample size to render too much of an opinion).

You're right that since JTM came here he's taken less, though 2 years ago he had 141 in 68 games and last year 140 in 26 games so the frequency is also increasing. Of course the sample size is small compared to centres who consistently take faceoffs (Horvat had 1225 last year), but 140 in 26 games would work out to about 445 over a full season, which is not an insignificant sample size.

Green's decision that he's not good enough at that ability & Green is a multiple Jack Adams trophy winner.

I assume this is sarcasm but the numbers bear out that Petey hasn't been very good at faceoffs, so if JT Miller is there he should take them for Petey. At the same time, the numbers show that Petey is improving and could be getting to a point where he is able to function adequately enough to make moving JTM to another line more palatable.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Actually that's a great move! Have Boeser's goal totals dive just before he's set to re-up his contract by putting him with offensive blackhold Sutter.

A $7M+ winger should be able to drive his line and play with anybody. :sarcasm:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Just noticed that thee are only 5 exhibition games. That doesn't leave too many games to experiment with line combos, so we will likely see the familiar lotto line to start the season, so as to not risk getting off to a slow start with new line combos getting use to each other.

If we do see a different combination on the 1st line in that first exhibition game, that will likely be the line combination to start the season.

Less than a month to go to the first exhibition game.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Garland Horvat Hoglander
Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin
Motte Sutter MacEwan

Rathbone Hamonic
Hughes PoolMan
OEL Myers

Would be great if is true Hughes could play the right side