Canucks to Host Draft Party June 24th (details in OP)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Good move on Management's part.

The unfortunate reality is that most common fans equate 'rebuilding' as trading anyone over the age of 23 for picks and prospects (i.e. tearing it down). Their expectation is that by doing this, we can possibly look like the 2009 Chicago Blackhawks in 3 years and then win a cup in our 4th year.

Benning has a far better and more realistic plan for a rebuild-re-tool, and most fans will not understand this unfortunately. Hence - management will be faced with some extremely idiotic questions.

Much better to host/create a positive event rather than what would likely be a negative one due to ignorance.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
well, that's because it's not.

like, can we call a spade a spade at this point? they never had the patience to rebuild. they restocked the cupboards to spend it at the earliest opportunity.

it's disastrous. they sold the farm. outright sold it.[/QUOTE

Exactly. Retool on the fly. Which lead us to a good draft pick. Sadly, they keep adding draft picks to bad trades, hoping for mediocrity. The Leafs game plan for the last 40 years pretty much.

Sadly, the media hasn't got the guts to call them out on it.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I've always assumed Tanbir posts on here. I mean, how could he not? The guy lives and breathes Canucks. To think that he wouldn't have stumbled onto HFBoards after an angry Google session is... unlikely.

y2k is a different guy, though. Don't make 'em go to the YouTube ;)

JA

I've always assumed Tanbir posts on here. I mean, how could he not? The guy lives and breathes Canucks. To think that he wouldn't have stumbled onto HFBoards after an angry Google session is... unlikely.

y2k is a different guy, though. Don't make 'em go to the YouTube ;)
Maybe he's a CDC kind of guy.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
well, that's because it's not.

like, can we call a spade a spade at this point? they never had the patience to rebuild. they restocked the cupboards to spend it at the earliest opportunity.

it's disastrous. they sold the farm. outright sold it.

I hearken back to:

David Ebner (Globe and Mail) said:
In an hour-long interview on Monday morning at Rogers Arena, Linden’s answers were dotted with phrases such as “need to be patient,†“going to take some time†and “there’s no quick-fix.â€

“We’re in a new place,†Linden said. “They get it. I’ve talked to Francesco [Aquilini] a lot about where we are, about what the future looks like. He’s extremely supportive. They understand this is going to take some time, and the need to be patient.â€

lies_and_the_lying_liars.jpg

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

The unfortunate reality is that most common fans equate 'rebuilding' as trading anyone over the age of 23 for picks and prospects (i.e. tearing it down). Their expectation is that by doing this, we can possibly look like the 2009 Chicago Blackhawks in 3 years and then win a cup in our 4th year.

Benning has a far better and more realistic plan for a rebuild-re-tool, and most fans will not understand this unfortunately. Hence - management will be faced with some extremely idiotic questions.

Much better to host/create a positive event rather than what would likely be a negative one due to ignorance.

Kinda like how Kevin Lowe had a great plan for the Oilers?

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006

How do you figure that their "plan" (if you could even call it that at this point) is better than other possibilities out there? Because you believe it, am I right? Ignorant are those that believe in their opinion and don't consider any other possibilities. But hey, if you are the type that keeps trying to put a square peg in a circular hole then by all means. Keep at it. You're clearly in the know. :sarcasm:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Really? Who on here has ever advocated that. What everyone is disgusted by is the attempts at quick fixes and giving away draft picks doing it. Granlund for Shinaruk? Prust for Dassian and a 5th? throwing in a 2nd and 4th for Gudbrandson?

What everyone is upset by is not getting anything for UFA's on the insane hope that we were making the playoffs. I mean, I am insanely loyal, but there has to be a limit.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Well this is the strangest re-build I've seen

By the time VAN drafts 5th OA, TOR will have Matthews.

By the time VAN drafts 63rd OA (3rd round), TOR will have drafted 31st, 56th and 61st.

By the time VAN drafts 139th OA (5th round I think), TOR will have drafted 71st, 91st, 100th, and 121st.

By the time VAN drafts 153rd OA (6th round?), TOR will have drafted 151st. Losers, not having multiple picks on us.

By the time VAN drafts 183rd OA (??th round?), TOR will have drafted 178th and 181st.

But VAN gets the last laugh, after 183rd we get to draft 193rd AND TOR DOESN'T GET ANY. LOSERS.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Really? Who on here has ever advocated that. What everyone is disgusted by is the attempts at quick fixes and giving away draft picks doing it. Granlund for Shinaruk? Prust for Dassian and a 5th? throwing in a 2nd and 4th for Gudbrandson?

What everyone is upset by is not getting anything for UFA's on the insane hope that we were making the playoffs. I mean, I am insanely loyal, but there has to be a limit.

Funny thing is we actually got the older player in those trades!

#YouthMovement

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
By the time VAN drafts 5th OA, TOR will have Matthews.

By the time VAN drafts 63rd OA (3rd round), TOR will have drafted 31st, 56th and 61st.

By the time VAN drafts 139th OA (5th round I think), TOR will have drafted 71st, 91st, 100th, and 121st.

By the time VAN drafts 153rd OA (6th round?), TOR will have drafted 151st. Losers, not having multiple picks on us.

By the time VAN drafts 183rd OA (??th round?), TOR will have drafted 178th and 181st.

But VAN gets the last laugh, after 183rd we get to draft 193rd AND TOR DOESN'T GET ANY. LOSERS.

At least the Leafs are in the Eastern Conference.....take a look at the Jets and Flames and their draft selections in the first five rounds compared to the two measly picks the Canucks now have....if we're going to escape the dungeons of the Western Conference we're going to have to climb over them with no draft picks.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I have to say, I hope the Canucks do the Draft party every single year, it was the highlight of the draft, it was fun, entertaining, well organized (minus a few bad lines when buying stuff at the store).

They had discounts, they had prized, pictures with players (gudbranson, virtanen, etem, hansen), Hanging out in the dressing room, tables and seats in the presentation area to make it actually look like you were AT the draft.

It was fantastic, I had a great time, and I will 100% go again next year, well done.

lEbmXJN.jpg
VFG4XG6.png

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I have to say, I hope the Canucks do the Draft party every single year, it was the highlight of the draft, it was fun, entertaining, well organized (minus a few bad lines when buying stuff at the store).

They had discounts, they had prized, pictures with players, Hanging out in the dressing room, tables and seats in the presentation area to make it actually look like you were AT the draft.

It was fantastic, I had a great time, and I will 100% go again next year, well done.

lEbmXJN.jpg

VFG4XG6.png

Sounds great.

Sometimes the point is to relax and have a good time. Good reminder.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Eh, I enjoyed myself there. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to pay to go there, but it was relatively cheap and after the 5th pick the thing really cleared out, leaving my buds and I with a massive amount of space to just chill with no one around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad