Proposal: Canucks to 1st Overall

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
If you need a quarter but someone offers you a dollar, you take the more valuable commodity and make change to get what you need.

If you have Dahlin but you're offered literally any player in the NHL except McDavid, you take the more valuable asset and improve your team even more than you could have with the less valuable asset.

I know it's expected for a team's fanbase to automatically assume their 1st overall pick is extremely valuable, but 2nd in the league behind McDavid? That's taking homerism to another level.

It’s not based on value. I don’t think people can say that enough while still having people not understand it. Of course there are more valuable players than Dahlin.

It’s that Buffalo needs a young #1D badly, and I don’t know of any player that fits the mold that I’d trade Dahlin for. The Sabres are a very bad team with a very good young core. Adding Dahlin to that core while rebuilding the rest of that team the next several years makes all the sense in the world.

I understand your crusade against HF obsession with draft picks, but the counter obsession can be equally ridiculous (Spooner is worth a top 10 pick). The fact is taking buffalo’s roster and needs into account, If you could draw up a single player they could use the most it’s Dahlin.

Jan 21, 2018
I literally said, in the exact post that you quoted, that i don't think the Sabres are dealing Dahlin. Why you felt the need to bring the Leafs/Matthews into a thread that has nothing to do with the Leafs/Matthews is a little perplexing. People on this site complain about every thread becoming about the Leafs, it doesn't help when other obsessed fans keep doing it.

Leafs haters always complain about the Leafs being the center of attention yet 90% of the time they are the ones that bring them up

Feb 24, 2017
I literally said, in the exact post that you quoted, that i don't think the Sabres are dealing Dahlin. Why you felt the need to bring the Leafs/Matthews into a thread that has nothing to do with the Leafs/Matthews is a little perplexing. People on this site complain about every thread becoming about the Leafs, it doesn't help when other obsessed fans keep doing it.
You write a lot to say a little

Nov 1, 2011
Well, that seems pretty decisive. Seems like a fit issue rather than value on EP.

I assume changing for need wouldn't help...maybe Tanev + Edler + 1st doesn't get it done?

Would give BUF a top pair at a good price + an "A prospect".

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If you need a quarter but someone offers you a dollar, you take the more valuable commodity and make change to get what you need.

If you have Dahlin but you're offered literally any player in the NHL except McDavid, you take the more valuable asset and improve your team even more than you could have with the less valuable asset.

I know it's expected for a team's fanbase to automatically assume their 1st overall pick is extremely valuable, but 2nd in the league behind McDavid? That's taking homerism to another level.

The problem with your analogy is that Dahlin is a dollar and we're being offered quarters for him.

Reactions: Panthaz89

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
7th, pettersson and boeser probably doesn't even get it done.
At that price you would have to think Buffalo accepts and moves a C for a D. That's way to much value for an unknown. You can assume he's a lock to be a top end D talent... But there are no guarantees. I just honestly couldn't see a team say no to those pieces for a pick.

But at the same time I argue that there is 0 chance in hell Vancouver wpuld ever do that. As stupid as it would be to turn that offer down if you offered that up you should be fired and never even allowed to be within 500ft of a tv playing any level of hockey... even mighty ducks VHS tapes. You don't give your franchise away for a guy who MIGHT be as good as a Hedman/Karlson/Etc

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

all of the offers you are talking about's main pieces are freaking center which is the only position the Sabres are stacked at while Dahlin fills a huge hole on the defense that the Sabres need sooo bad.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Maybe you missed the memo.

How it’s supposed to happen is other teams come here to make crappy offers for OUR players.

Get with the program.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What it would take for Vancouver to get Dahlin would not be worth it

I agree.
I think Vancouver would have to get up something stupid like Bo + their 1st + something big and it's not worth it. Vancouver has some good pieces and they'd be back to square one except without the Sedins to guide them after this trade.

Nov 1, 2011
You think you got it bad?
Just think of how bad it was for us Oil fans having to read all the 1st overall pick proposals over the years. LOL

Probably should have taken some of those trades.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Not that Petterson + 7th isn't a great package, but it obviously doesn't make sense for Buffalo. They're set at the centre ice position for the next 5 years and desperately need an excellent young D Man. No way they even consider this trade. Just not a fit.

Reactions: Sabres

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad