Proposal: Canucks to 1st Overall

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
If Tim Murray were here, he'd have said Dahlin and mic dropped after the lottery..

Botterill knows we're taking him, and nothing short of McDavid changes that...unless you have a time machine and can bring back mid 90s Pavel Bure and add that to the 7th and Petersen, and add Horvat

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
7th, pettersson and boeser probably doesn't even get it done.

That is asinine. The gap between Dahlin and Pettersson is not the 7th overall pick and a 29-goal in 62 game 21-yeaar old that likely could've won the Calder save for his injury.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
It is just uncanny that Buffalo has had a top 10 pick in last 5 drafts and now a D man is an organizational need.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Does Petterson + 1st (7th overall) net the Canucks the #1 overall pick this year?

Nope. It doesn't even come close. Elias Pettersson is a hell of a prospect, but he doesn't out weigh the teams need for a dynamic #1 defensemen which Rasmus Dahlin fits to a "T". So at this point unless you're prepared to gut yourself, it's impossible.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Does Petterson + 1st (7th overall) net the Canucks the #1 overall pick this year?
Way too much to give up. Way too much. Dahlin altho projects to be a elite talent is getting a tad overrated these days

Reactions: King 88

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If you think "fair" value gets you Dahlin you're out to lunch.

That's so much more than fair value. I hate to say it because this is Vancouver's board essentially, but Pettersson is getting underrated by this. There is a gap between the two, but it sure as hell isnt the 7th pick + Brock Boeser.

That being said, team needs plays a role into Buffalo's decision, but that's such a massive disparity in value that even if I were buffalo I'd make that trade and use the abundance of pieces you now have to fix the defense.

Jan 21, 2018
It is just uncanny that Buffalo has had a top 10 pick in last 5 drafts and now a D man is an organizational need.

Pretty sad that they won 1st overall after years of selecting in the top 10 including a franchise player like Eichel.

The Oilers are proof that no amount of 1st overalls can fix a poorly managed team, so it will be interesting to see if the Sabres end up as the next laughing stock of the NHL if they still end up as a lottery team next season.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Do you think the Sabres would do that?
I literally said, in the exact post that you quoted, that i don't think the Sabres are dealing Dahlin. Why you felt the need to bring the Leafs/Matthews into a thread that has nothing to do with the Leafs/Matthews is a little perplexing. People on this site complain about every thread becoming about the Leafs, it doesn't help when other obsessed fans keep doing it.

Jan 21, 2018
Why? The Sabres have a giant need at the position a top prospect plays. Why would they trade it for anything other than a massive overpayment?

If you need a quarter but someone offers you a dollar, you take the more valuable commodity and make change to get what you need.

If you have Dahlin but you're offered literally any player in the NHL except McDavid, you take the more valuable asset and improve your team even more than you could have with the less valuable asset.

I know it's expected for a team's fanbase to automatically assume their 1st overall pick is extremely valuable, but 2nd in the league behind McDavid? That's taking homerism to another level.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I literally said, in the exact post that you quoted, that i don't think the Sabres are dealing Dahlin. Why you felt the need to bring the Leafs/Matthews into a thread that has nothing to do with the Leafs/Matthews is a little perplexing. People on this site complain about every thread becoming about the Leafs, it doesn't help when other obsessed fans keep doing it.
His post history also shows him arguing why Jake Virtanen was a better pick than "soft and scared" Willie. Its funny to see him call out Leafs fans for not being objective.

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad