Canucks Team Awards Discussion

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
lol @ anyone thinking that Edler is good offensively.

Hank wins leading scorer and MVP
Tanev wins best defenseman
Hansen wins unsung hero
Vrbata wins most exciting. hm to Horvat.

Edler is good, not great offensively. In the last few games he's had a couple great rushes/pinches resulting in goals or near-goals. He doesn't always make the best decisions offensively though.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
MVP - Henrik Sedin
Best Defenseman - Edler
Unsung Hero - Hansen (he's been as good as any of our best players, but Kenins/Horvat steals the spotlight from him because it's more unexpected)
Most Exciting - Horvat

Needs more Tanev.

btw- who votes on these awards?

Maybe I'm being too cynical but if management has any say in it do they really want to give Tanev anymore bargaining power? 

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
Cyclone Taylor: Vrbata
Cyrus H. McLean: Daniel Sedin
Babe Pratt: Hamhuis
Fred J. Hume: Burrows
Pavel Bure: Vrbata or Horvat, Can't decide

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Edler is good, not great offensively. In the last few games he's had a couple great rushes/pinches resulting in goals or near-goals. He doesn't always make the best decisions offensively though.

Edler is **** offensively. It's been years since he's been good offensively. As far as I'm concerned we have one defenseman who's good offensively and that's Weber.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Edler is **** offensively. It's been years since he's been good offensively. As far as I'm concerned we have one defenseman who's good offensively and that's Weber.

I don't see it. He's got a powerful shot from the point, just a little erratic. He's a good skating and makes good rushes and pinches most of the time.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Then why can't he produce?

Relative to the rest of the team, he has.

His points are down from past years because they are directly related to how good our PP is. He's still top 60 in Defencemen scoring, so he still produces as a top 2 defenceman, which he is regardless of production.

I do think injuries, specifically his back injury, hasn't helped though. It's definitely slowed him down just a little.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

His points are down from past years because they are directly related to how good our PP is. He's still top 60 in Defencemen scoring, so he still produces as a top 2 defenceman, which he is regardless of production.

I do think injuries, specifically his back injury, hasn't helped though. It's definitely slowed him down just a little.

He is playing the top of the powerplay, is he not as fault for its struggles?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
He is playing the top of the powerplay, is he not as fault for its struggles?

I didn't say that. Everyone could be better on the PP. My point was the only reason he ever had really high point seasons is because our PP was way better. Ehrhoff was a big part of that, and the Sedins being at their very best.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site

Also the system isn't really set up for production from the defense. Quick clears and the forwards do the work. On the PP Edler being the lone man back doesn't allow for him to make the odd pinch like the past. Vrbata rarely stays back to work the one-timer with Edler and generally everything is geared towards running through Henrik down low leaving Edler a couple of puck touches away from an apple. The times we've Weber or Clendening with Edler on the PP, we've seen him more active and involved in the play as there is another defensemen on the ice to cover up.

Edler is the Canucks best defensemen in my opinion.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Also the system isn't really set up for production from the defense. Quick clears and the forwards do the work. On the PP Edler being the lone man back doesn't allow for him to make the odd pinch like the past. Vrbata rarely stays back to work the one-timer with Edler and generally everything is geared towards running through Henrik down low leaving Edler a couple of puck touches away from an apple. The times we've Weber or Clendening with Edler on the PP, we've seen him more active and involved in the play as there is another defensemen on the ice to cover up.

Edler is the Canucks best defensemen in my opinion.

I agree until your last line. Tanev is still the rock that allows Edler to be Edler. I think Tanev is better without Eddie than vice versa.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
MVP: henrik
d-man: tanev
exciting: horvat i guess, but really it should be nobody
unsung: hansen... aww, come on who are we kidding? it's gonna be dorsett.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Cyclone Taylor Trophy (MVP) - Henrik Sedin

Cyrus H. McLean Trophy (Leading Scorer) - Looks like Daniel Sedin

Babe Pratt Trophy (Best Defenceman) - Alexander Edler... what a yr... and talk about an outstanding run of games he's on right now.

Fred J. Hume Award (Unsung Hero) - Last year's winner: Eddie Lack.. could be again... or Hansen... or Dorsett..

Pavel Bure Most Exciting Player Award - Vrbata... a tonne of timely goals, and pretty ones.

HiiTzMeAgain

Mar 23, 2015
Kesler won MVP last year? How the hell did that happen? He was not even close to trying most nights

Don't agree at all. You can question the way Kesler left (which I do often) but the dedication and effort he put in on a nightly basis in his time with Vancouver was exemplary... One of the most tenacious players to wear a Canucks jersey since Linden in my opinion.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Cyclone Taylor Trophy (MVP) - Henrik Sedin

Cyrus H. McLean Trophy (Leading Scorer) - Henrik Sedin

Babe Pratt Trophy (Best Defenceman) - Chris Tanev

Fred J. Hume Award (Unsung Hero) - Derek Dorsett

Pavel Bure Most Exciting Player Award - Bo Horvat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad