Prospect Info: Canucks Take D Joni Jurmo at 82nd Overall (JYP Jyväskylä)

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Boy does he look engaged.. love it

Again missed it cause i forgot how early they play here time

Sigh

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Jurmo's currently playing a CHL match vs Sparta Prague, and is playing on the top pair again...as the RD! He had a strong 1st period - scoring a PP goal, played solid at evens (picked up a minus, but wasn't at fault), and continues to work the special teams. 1st period stats - 1G(PP)1SOG 2PIM -1 2BLK in 6:26TOI.

*edit* 2nd Period - Jurmo started the period in the box, and once he was out his team took 2 penalties in quick succession. Joni show solid poise on the PK (both 5 v 4 and 5 v 3), had to nice clears, and did a good job of blocking passing lanes + tying up sticks.

Jukurit then spent most of the mid 2nd on the PP (5 min major), scoring a few goals, but Jurmo wasn't directly involved. However late in the 2nd, Jurmo would pick up a nice secondary assist on a beautiful breakout pass to put Jukurit up 5-2.

*edit2* 3rd Period - Jukurit scored early to make it 6-2, and then spent most of the 1st 10 mins going through the motions. Jurmo picked up another minus after making a big hit, he got caught puck watching, and missed the player sneaking in from the point (wasn't his guy, but still have to have your head on a swivel).

Later in the period he'd get a few more PK shifts, and continued to play well there. Also, it was nice to see Jurmo actually throwing his weight around a bit, and was finishing his checks in the 3rd. Overall a very solid game from him (outside of 1 brainfart).

Game stats - 1G 1A 1SOG 4PIMS 4BLK 4HIT(by my count) even rating (+2/-2) in 17:48TOI(3rd among Dmen)

Jurmo's assist shown at 2:03

*will update post throughout the game* (done)*

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Between Jurmo, Johansson, Myrenberg, Gabrielson and Petey II.......surely one or two of them have to work out.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I've been disappointed with Jurmo this season. Hasn't taken any kind of big step this season and he's about the same player as last season.

Big problem with Jurmo is that he's a very one-dimensional player. He's a great skater, but he's not good at anything else. Bad at passing, shooting and offense.

At this point, I don't think he's going to be an NHL player.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
We can say that about pretty much every single one of our prospects these days, especially the D prospects. They're all just very meh.
Yeah, once in awhile you find a gem in the mid to late rounds where we were picking but it takes a good volume of picks because most are going to plateau and not be NHL players. Unfortunately Benning pissed away picks everywhere in the draft and now we probably have the worst group of defencemen in the league, no one knocking on the door in Abby, and a bunch of low level guys that wouldn’t be in most teams top 20 prospects. It’s inexcusable for a team that’s been “retooling” for almost a decade now.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I've been disappointed with Jurmo this season. Hasn't taken any kind of big step this season and he's about the same player as last season.

Big problem with Jurmo is that he's a very one-dimensional player. He's a great skater, but he's not good at anything else. Bad at passing, shooting and offense.

At this point, I don't think he's going to be an NHL player.
This sounds par for the course for a Canucks prospect. This team just can't draft.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Finnish Liiga team (3rd this season) Tampereen Ilves announced today that they signed Jurmo with 2 year deal!
Hopefully Allvin and co. are on board with this decision and that Liiga is the best place for Jurmo to continue to develop as a player. I figured it was either back in Finland or the Abbotsford for him. Personally, was hoping for Abby as I do want to see what Colliton can do with some decent prospects. Lord only knows the franchise needs players who actually played a season in the A to contribute at the NHL level.

Aside from the guys who stepped right with either no to minimal time in the A, like Boeser, Hutton, Stecher, Hughes, etc. we have seen nothing come out from the A in nearly a decade.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not really a good look that a team starved for d-men with the size and skating skill of Jurmo like the Canucks, have decided two more years in Finland will be better for his development.

There's no doubt he has the raw skills you're looking for, but clearly the Canuck feel his d-zone coverage and zone exits need a lot of work. Hopefully he comes to development camp and they get a longer look this pre-season.

But you'd think that if he was still considered a serious prospect, they'd have found a way to get him to Abbotsford.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not really a good look that a team starved for d-men with the size and skating skill of Jurmo like the Canucks, have decided two more years in Finland will be better for his development.

There's no doubt he has the raw skills you're looking for, but clearly the Canuck feel his d-zone coverage and zone exits need a lot of work. Hopefully he comes to development camp and they get a longer look this pre-season.

But you'd think that if he was still considered a serious prospect, they'd have found a way to get him to Abbotsford.

Barring something unexpected, I'd expect he goes unsigned and we lose his rights on June 1 2024.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
At this point if they are not signing him they are kinda writing him off.

Players like Hirose Wolanin Brisebois are obviously much better short term investments that can actually fill in at the NHL level and can also mentor and be excellent in the AHL. While Truscott Pettersson Kudraytzev have passed him along the way and will be better investments in time and resources.

Last season was a regression when it needed to be a big step. Pretty much a deal killer when the league is almost ECHL level. Probably best to just let him try and figure it out in Liiga to the point of being a dominant force before signing we still own his rights.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Hopefully Allvin and co. are on board with this decision and that Liiga is the best place for Jurmo to continue to develop as a player. I figured it was either back in Finland or the Abbotsford for him. Personally, was hoping for Abby as I do want to see what Colliton can do with some decent prospects. Lord only knows the franchise needs players who actually played a season in the A to contribute at the NHL level.

Aside from the guys who stepped right with either no to minimal time in the A, like Boeser, Hutton, Stecher, Hughes, etc. we have seen nothing come out from the A in nearly a decade.
Allvin & Co being ok with a 2 year deal that goes beyond the exclusive rights period the Canucks have from drafting him isn't about the best place for Jurmo to develop as a player, it is about the Canucks deciding the contract slot is more valuable than keeping his rights. Short of Tampereen agreeing to terminate his contract the deal means he's longer a Canucks' prospect.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
@Vector was saying in the Willander thread that Jurmo has not progressed. I was looking him up the other day as there has been little mention of him. Jurmo has 1 point in 17 games. Canucks' own Clendening has has 2 goals 3 points in 3 games.

Any updates @The Iron Goalie? Is he playing minimal minutes? I don't care about offensive production if he's playing well defensively in a shutdown role but I'm guessing that's not the case?

Reactions: Vector

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
@Vector was saying in the Willander thread that Jurmo has not progressed. I was looking him up the other day as there has been little mention of him. Jurmo has 1 point in 17 games. Canucks' own Clendening has has 2 goals 3 points in 3 games.

Any updates @The Iron Goalie? Is he playing minimal minutes? I don't care about offensive production if he's playing well defensively in a shutdown role but I'm guessing that's not the case?
He was playing ~15mins per game for most of the season (anywhere from #4-#7D), but since Ilves signed Adam Clendening of all people, he's been scratched/a low minute 7th D. Unless one of the top 6 D get injured/play terrible... I wouldn't expect Jurmo see much playing time going forward.

Overall he's been fine/meh in the games I've watched, but it's really disappointing he couldn't take advantage of the early season opportunities he had.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He was playing ~15mins per game for most of the season (anywhere from #4-#7D), but since Ilves signed Adam Clendening of all people, he's been scratched/a low minute 7th D. Unless one of the top 6 D get injured/play terrible... I wouldn't expect Jurmo see much playing time going forward.

Overall he's been fine/meh in the games I've watched, but it's really disappointing he couldn't take advantage of the early season opportunities he had.

Thanks for the update. @MS expects that Jurmo goes unsigned but if we do sign him next year it's a 2 year ELC. Given his size and skating is he worth a shot? I think if we can get him over on an AHL tryout that would be the best.

Reactions: geebaan

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks for the update. @MS expects that Jurmo goes unsigned but if we do sign him next year it's a 2 year ELC. Given his size and skating is he worth a shot? I think if we can get him over on an AHL tryout that would be the best.

By most accounts he's a 21 year old depth player in the same weak league he's played in for a few years now. They've had him at prospect camp, and he has indicated that he would like to come over to North America. I suspect that if they wanted this player, he'd be on this side of the pond already.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I was once very high on Jurmo and was hopeful he could turn out to be something in the future .

But I have unfortunately given up on this prospect as he just is so inconsistent he doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in me

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
6'3, skates so well, and was drafted as a total project. If he had hit, we would be singing praises, he didn't put it together that's what 3rd round picks do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad