Prospect Info: Canucks Take D Joni Jurmo at 82nd Overall (JYP Jyväskylä)

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
To be fair as fans, we like who we like, cheer for those we like and hope for the best for those we like. I 4 1 don't care who we as fans of the canucks cheer for... we are after all "All Canucks". Now to my own point, years back many to many I fear had a hard on for Nicklas Jensen, wanted him to succeed any way possible. I had built him up as a player in my head to be the next Naslund albeit Finnish. Why, don't really know just I thought he was worth it, WJC silver and gold....

So rather than war and peace here... it's just a forum lets play and have fun.
I remember Jensen. When he started getting benched in the SEL despite phenomenal goal production I knew there were huge issues with his game. Joulevi was pretty similar with his defensive struggles in Finland. Ultimately, it’s so difficult to make it as a prospect, and development curves almost always are extremely sharp, that the reality is that if a prospect struggles much after being drafted they are very likely to bust. And fans should view prospects through that light.

Of course when I say “struggles”, I don’t mean a player having a bad world juniors or small stretch of play. I mean a player struggling for a long more representative period of time. And also, when I say “struggling”, you also have to look at the context (I.e., quality of league and teammates).

Reactions: Pip and Grantham

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Just finished this video.

I am still impressed with his tournament and hope its a sign for a big development year. I just don't think you can watch him play and see a forward. Yes, his skating jumps out in your face, but he is more than that. He is a breakout machine, in every which way, short pass, long outlets, skating out of the zone. Puutio was deferring to him a ton for exiting their zone, and for good reason. Good one-on-one defending, good gap control and angling. needs more fine-tuning/assertiveness on the PK. He did not see much offensive zone time, but when he did, there was good 4-way movement with puck.

I think @docbenton had the best comparable in Sanheim. A lot of similarities in the way they play.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

I am still impressed with his tournament and hope its a sign for a big development year. I just don't think you can watch him play and see a forward. Yes, his skating jumps out in your face, but he is more than that. He is a breakout machine, in every which way, short pass, long outlets, skating out of the zone. Puutio was deferring to him a ton for exiting their zone, and for good reason. Good one-on-one defending, good gap control and angling. needs more fine-tuning/assertiveness on the PK. He did not see much offensive zone time, but when he did, there was good 4-way movement with puck.

I think @docbenton had the best comparable in Sanheim. A lot of similarities in the way they play.

That is actually some really impressive footage. Thank you for putting it together! The kid has a real chance... I am impressed. Wish he was right handed!!

Reactions: sting101

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Jurmo looks great so far, the upcoming year will determine if he can be a legit prospect or a Madison Bowey (I can't help but think about him when watching those highlights).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

great video. thanks.

definitely a lot of successful break out passes there and he can turn and pick up speed . his first step straight line speed without the benefit of cross-overs needs work though. i would like to see more of him skating backwards.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Yep. I don't think the point production will be there until he stops floating those soft wristers on net and really develops his shot. He's not going to be a good forward.

I think we need to develop him as a defensive Dman. His puck transporting skills will be there.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I had to miss Jurmo's 1st two games in CHL last week, but I'll be catching both his games this weekend (Fri/Sun). Jurmo picked up a secondary assist on a breakout pass in game 2, and has seen 15:04 TOI/GP.

Reactions: DFAC and Lindgren

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Jurmo looked like he was shaking off the rust early (hasn't played in ~2 weeks), but settled in and had a solid 1st game overall. He played a regular shift at even strength, but didn't get much special teams work (only saw 45s on the PK). Jurmo finished with 1 Shot in 14:20TOI

The one thing that stood out to me was after getting called for a soft holding penalty, he let his emotions get the best of him, and picked up a roughing penalty after the whistle to put his team down 5 on 3. Jukurit was up 2-1 at the time, and would kill off the 5 on 3, but he needs to be smarter in a 1 goal situation.

The Iron Goalie

Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Another solid game for Jurmo this morning. He picked up his first goal of the season, and actually saw consistent time on the PK! He did take a dirty hit early in the 3rd, and missed a few shifts, but would return to the game. Finished up with 1G 1SOG and a +2 rating in 18:09TOI

Edit* - Just got Jurmo's updated PK TOI, and going into today game he had seen just 00:45TOI over his 1st 3 games, but played 2:13TOI in todays game alone.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jurmo strikes me as one of those players who was totally screwed over by the COVID pandemic. Leagues were shut down and players like Jurmo in their draft-plus-one seasons suffered. And he's been trying to overcome perceptions ever since.

But after a solid performance at this summer's WJHC and in Canucks Development Camp, he's taken that new found confidence back to the Finnish Liga. He's rapidly become a solid d-prospect for the Canucks.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Another solid game for Jurmo this morning. He picked up his first goal of the season, and actually saw consistent time on the PK! He did take a dirty hit early in the 3rd, and missed a few shifts, but would return to the game. Finished up with 1G 1SOG and a +2 rating in 18:09TOI

Edit* - Just got Jurmo's updated PK TOI, and going into today game he had seen just 00:45TOI over his 1st 3 games, but played 2:13TOI in todays game alone.
A couple of comments:

1) Thank you Mr. Benning for this wonderful pick ::::heads for cover::::::
2) Nice to see Jurmo get some PK time. One of my concerns with Jurmo was his defensive game. If Jurmo can round out his defensive game and become an all-around all-situations guy, then we might have something legit here with Jurmo.
3) Who is that strikingly beautiful female in your avatar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad