Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign UFA D Cam Barker to 1-Year, $700K Deal

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Good depth signing.
I will be concerned about Tanev's NHL future if he can't pass him on the depth chart.. But hey... Not really enough time to experiment this yr.

May the best man between Barker, Alberts and Tanev get the games..

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'd think Corrado is ahead of Connauton right now; I'd I really wonder if Barker is better than Corrado even at this early point in this career.

I would think Corrado is better. But we're not going to want to carry Corrado as a #8 defensemen - he'll be in Juniors playing 30:00 a night...

Barker has 300 games of NHL experience. You need veteran depth and Barker provides that.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
That would be very depressing for Mr Barker

Took it hard when Hawks dumped him during cup run ,, Being stuck on Wolves would be an even bigger blow

Mr Barker put himself in this predicament with his play, he's been given an opportunity to try and rebuild his career. He's running out of chances and it's a low risk signing for the Canucks.

John Bender*

Wow people are taking this as though we are slotting him in as our #1 d-man. He'll be a depth guy that will see spot duty at best. If he does not pan out, Gillis will send him to Chicago. Breathe.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Depth Defenseman. Relax people. If he blossoms under AV, everyone will say that this was a genius move. I like it and the term. Low risk.

John Bender*

Not a big Barkerbfan...who is?...but he is a cheap,insurance signing.

Rescue project to a career that is on life support.

Gillis is on record as saying that he loves to find players that are cheap and need a proper chance to ressurect their careers. He points to Markus Naslund as the best example of one of those guys he was able to help.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I hard he asked to be let go. Something about pursuing a NHL contract. Wasn't he playing on the top pairing?

When I saw him play he looked worse than Tanev and Joslin to me (was watching for Glennie and Oleksiak though). Not sure if first or second pairing. I believe the parting was mutual between him and the team. I think they said he wasn't a good mentor to their kids or something to that extent.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Overreaction.

How so? If he goes to Chicago, he takes a spot and minutes from our prospects, the ones that actually might have a better NHL future. Barker can simply not play at this level of hockey and cannot read the game well enough to help our prospects develop. In more cases than not, our prospects will have to be covering for his blunders, just like they did for Ryan Parent last season.

Say what you will, but there is literally nothing to work with here, in Barker.

From Sturm to Barker, something is amiss in our pro scouting department once a year. The only good thing is it wasn't a $2M contract.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
When I saw him play he looked worse than Tanev and Joslin to me. Not sure if first or second pairing. I believe the parting was mutual between him and the team. I think they said he wasn't a good mentor to their kids or something to that extent.

Yeah, I'm expecting a worse player than Tanev. I expect Tanev to carry the bottom pairing and Barker to slot no higher on the depth chart than 8th.

How many teams have a good #8 dman?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad