Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Ty Mueller (C) to 3-Year ELC

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Highest upside that could be expected (and this is beginning optomistic) is Blueger type player. Decision making, play reading and motor seem chief attributes.

According to all accounts, he has shown progression as he has moved up. And that's the key. You just can't plateau. Biggest and most obvious question, now, is can he progress to the pro game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Highest upside that could be expected (and this is beginning optomistic) is Blueger type player. Decision making, play reading and motor seem chief attributes.

According to all accounts, he has shown progression as he has moved up. And that's the key. You just can't plateau. Biggest and most obvious question, now, is can he progress to the pro game.
He's a bottom 6 guy if he makes it. Agreed that it is a bit surprising to see him leave school with a year left of eligibility. figured, he'd just play it out and sign next year.

Must feel really good about his chances with Canucks management to not just finish school as he is a guy who needs AHL time.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
By the time you get to the fourth round in any draft, you're basically crossing your fingers. If a guy can even carve out a career in the AHL, that's often as good as its going to get. And that's especially true of a guy who wasn't drafted until he was 20.

But as others have pointed out, Mueller has made significant strides in each of his past three seasons. And that's about all you can hope for, and the reason he ultimately earned a contract.

And I guess you just never know. Guys like Sasson and Bains were never drafted....and there's little doubt they will both play games for the NHL Canucks.

Reactions: Chiripa20

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya I was thinking Blueger as the best case scenario. Numbers look underwhelming. He looked fast in the highlights. But if he’s a C who who has defensive potential and can wins face offs that’s a good start. I doubt the skating, IQ, and skills package is there to move up though.

He's a bottom 6 guy if he makes it. Agreed that it is a bit surprising to see him leave school with a year left of eligibility. figured, he'd just play it out and sign next year.

Must feel really good about his chances with Canucks management to not just finish school as he is a guy who needs AHL time.
Well the guy was bypassed twice in the draft before the Canucks drafted him (and even then it was early). Loyalty should matter a bit here.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I am not high on this prospect at all, hope he can prove me wrong .

Really needed him to become a point per game player this year in NCAA and he was unable to reach that achievement

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
And Madden is still a long shot to get much NHL time. But trust Benning to mess up what was a pretty decent trade.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Reading through the Mueller thread after he was drafted.

Equal parts entertaining (at how many scouting experts we have in this fan base that had never seen the kid play or even heard of him, and nauseating.

If you’re bored and want to read some hot tales, there are plenty of them in here:

Anyways, congrats to the kid.
It seems like these are the types of picks good organizations turn into contributing cheap bottom 6 players.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024

I watched 3 Omaha games this year and it's hard to say what to expect from him. He wasn't engaged all that often, an opportunistic scorer. Good tools and but if he could have been engaged like Gaudette was in college, would be talking about legit NHL upside IMO.

Reactions: F A N

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

Equal parts entertaining (at how many scouting experts we have in this fan base that had never seen the kid play or even heard of him, and nauseating.

If you’re bored and want to read some hot tales, there are plenty of them in here:

people love to big brain this shit. the same people who think max sasson is a scouting coup think ty mueller was a wasted pick when the fact is ty mueller had a far superior ncaa career

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose the 'positive thing' is that the Canucks are actually signing some of their later round draft picks. During the Benning era, it was basically a black hole after round #3.

Makes you wonder where the Canuck prospect pool would rank if they'd actually kept more of their first and second rounders in 2020-24.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Anyways, congrats to the kid.
It seems like these are the types of picks good organizations turn into contributing cheap bottom 6 players.

That thread is a tire fire and it’s amazing how the Alex Mallet pick 12 years ago continues to traumatize this fanbase and cause these sorts of insane reactions as soon as the word ‘overage’ is mentioned.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I suppose the 'positive thing' is that the Canucks are actually signing some of their later round draft picks. During the Benning era, it was basically a black hole after round #3.

Makes you wonder where the Canuck prospect pool would rank if they'd actually kept more of their first and second rounders in 2020-24.

Huh?

From round 4 and beyond, the Canucks signed Stewart from 2014, Gaudette and Jasek from 2015, Rathbone and Palmu from 2017, Focht, Silovs, Plasek, and MacDonough from 2019, and Zlodeyev from 2020 is on the farm team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

I did see Jack Malone, their 6th rounder in 2019 score the OT winner for Boston College to send them into the Frozen 4. He went to Cornell, but due to Covid had to return to the USHL in what would have been his sophomore year. Did 3 years at Cornell then transferred to BC. Bested everything offensively with 12 G and 13 A for 25 points. Born in NJ, if he does sign a pro deal, most likely with a Metro division team.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
No. Once they finish college they become free agents. The idea to draft him now is to get more control over development and first crack at signing them.

Or biggest or fastest or...something. Although of the two overage centres this is the one more likely to have a professional career according to EP.

Hey, I was kinda right about the reasoning behind drafting him!

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
people love to big brain this shit. the same people who think max sasson is a scouting coup think ty mueller was a wasted pick when the fact is ty mueller had a far superior ncaa career
Sasson had the same amount of points in 25 less games..... do explain?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess one positive is that he's a natural center, and you can never have enough organizational depth at that position.

But looking at his stats on Hockey DB, it's hard not to be underwhelmed. In two seasons in the AJHL he never even broke the 10-goal mark, although it appears he was hurt for most of his second season. Frankly it's a little baffling that he was even able to earn an NCAA hockey scholarship.

But his numbers improved every year with the U of Nebraska-Omaha.....although not once did he break through the 30-point plateau. I guess you have to hope for is that the Canuck scouts were encouraged enough with his progress to offer him an ELC for a reason.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But looking at his stats on Hockey DB, it's hard not to be underwhelmed. In two seasons in the AJHL he never even broke the 10-goal mark, although it appears he was hurt for most of his second season. Frankly it's a little baffling that he was even able to earn an NCAA hockey scholarship.

His draft year in 20-21 was the shortened COVID year and his 8 goals in 15 games was literally the highest total for any 2003-born player in the AJHL that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad