Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Sven Baertschi to One Way Deal [$900,000/1 year]

van22

May 25, 2014
Yeah, bizarre that it took this long for something so seemingly obvious, and the comments from his agent still make no sense.

Who knows who were initially involved in the Sutter deal. Maybe the Pens wanted the Canucks to take on a contract, maybe Clendening was not expected to be traded or maybe the Penguins wanted Sven instead (Johnston connection). Just looks like the Canucks wanted to buy time to finalise the trade before signing him.

arsmaster*

There was talk on Twitter amongst some of the beat writers that something needed to be arranged with respect to the cap before he could sign. I guess that was today, although I'm not sure how exactly, since we actually added cap in the Sutter deal.
I just don't get how that makes sense. They are closer to the cap now than they were. Maybe benning was after another player instead of the 3rd.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Were we at max contracts or something? Only thing I can think of. Good signing though, despite how obvious it was, it's good to see that we gave him the right amount of $$.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My belief, as I stated elsewhere, is that Clendening was picked up as a stop gap defenceman due to the injuries at the time. Somewhat must have thought he had some potential upside, but the move was likely in part due to the coach being unwilling to play prospects brought up from Utica.

Well somebody scouted Clendening....I hope it isn't the same guy who scouted Baertschi.:shakehead

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Just curious, why does it always take longer for the media to get the dollar amount than the signing and term? Can't all info be divulged in one quick conversation.

I think it's because the media gets the salary numbers from the player's agent, while news of the signing comes from the club.

I can't remember where I heard it, but there was something about privacy laws restricting companies from disclosing the pay of their employees except in specific circumstances. So even though the data has to come out (for cap reasons, and NHLPA puts it out I think) it's not supposed to come from the Canucks, who just put out the term.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Burrows
Prust - Sutter - Virtanen
Dorsett - Vey - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Bartkowski
Corrado

Miller
Markstrom

*Higgins traded

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
All the hand-wringing about an impending "bad deal" and chronic "overpayment"...and it comes down the pipeline as a completely reasonable deal, pretty much exactly what you'd expect in the end. :laugh:

Anyway, good to have him signed...now it's time to put up or shut up for Sven. Hopefully he's given enough leash from WillieD to do what he needs to do, and put in a position to succeed here. Starting with PP time and some decent offensive minutes.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Well, a one-way deal, so I guess this is the year. I wish him good luck, I hope he can stick in the NHL and increase the number of Swiss players.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
All the hand-wringing about an impending "bad deal" and chronic "overpayment"...and it comes down the pipeline as a completely reasonable deal, pretty much exactly what you'd expect in the end. :laugh:

if you think the trepidation isn't well earned by now, i don't know what to say

I can't remember where I heard it, but there was something about privacy laws restricting companies from disclosing the pay of their employees except in specific circumstances. So even though the data has to come out (for cap reasons, and NHLPA puts it out I think) it's not supposed to come from the Canucks, who just put out the term.

nah its just made up ********. its an anachronism from a million years ago when salary information was withheld in hopes of depressing the market

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Don't get me wrong, decent value, but how did Vey get more? Wasn't he benched so we could bring in Baertschi?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Nope. Theres a good article on why this is a silly practice. I like the absurd comment in the middle "the wild played a game tonight, as per club policy, the score was not annouced".

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/t...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nhl

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Thought I'd pop by and say this is a fine deal. It's what it should be. If he sucks you can send him down and not take a hit to your cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad