Confirmed with Link: Canucks Sign Sven Baertschi to One Way Deal [$900,000/1 year]

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm guessing it'll be for $800k. People are expecting $1.5M or so but when you look around at what these types of players sign for, $800k is about right.

If it was $800k, he would have just accepted his QO.

I don't disagree that that's what he SHOULD be getting, but based on every other negotiation done by this management group, fat chance that's actually what happens.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
If it was $800k, he would have just accepted his QO.

I don't disagree that that's what he SHOULD be getting, but based on every other negotiation done by this management group, fat chance that's actually what happens.
I thought his QO would of been a 2-way.. hence the 'holdout'.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
His qualifier I think was around 1 mil but it would be two way. Logic would suggest he trades some money for the one way deal. But logic doesn't seem to apply for Benning acquisitions.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If it's $900k, that's perfectly sound. No issue there - standard, expected contract for a guy in his position.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Good contract, surprised it took so long for him to sign it. I'm not sure how much more he was expecting to get.

arsmaster*

Good contract, surprised it took so long for him to sign it. I'm not sure how much more he was expecting to get.

Exactly. This should have been done months ago.

Glad it's reasonable (although comparables and more proven guys got less), hope he earns quadruple on his next deal.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Exactly. This should have been done months ago.

Glad it's reasonable (although comparables and more proven guys got less), hope he earns quadruple on his next deal.

There was talk on Twitter amongst some of the beat writers that something needed to be arranged with respect to the cap before he could sign. I guess that was today, although I'm not sure how exactly, since we actually added cap in the Sutter deal.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Yep.

This deal makes sense; make or break year for both him and Vey. Solid deal, and I'm optimistic he'll have a good season.

Fair enough. I forget, but wasn't it reported quite some time ago that Benning was willing to give him a 1-way contract? If so, I don't understand what the hold up was... unless I'm mixing up some information.

Oh well, good to have it done. Let's hope he shows up.

van22

May 25, 2014
Fair enough. I forget, but wasn't it reported quite some time ago that Benning was willing to give him a 1-way contract? If so, I don't understand what the hold up was... unless I'm mixing up some information.

News1130 tweeted today that he was asked to wait... my guess is that it was dependent on the Bonino/Sutter trade being finalised (earlier in the month his agent said they were on the same page but it would still take a few weeks to get him signed).

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Just quoting myself here;

There was talk on Twitter amongst some of the beat writers that something needed to be arranged with respect to the cap before he could sign. I guess that was today, although I'm not sure how exactly, since we actually added cap in the Sutter deal.

Like I said - not sure if today's deal was what allowed this to get done, as I don't see how it makes cap space/room available. Maybe roster room is what was being referred to, since Clendenning wasn't going to be waived if he didn't crack the team? I have no idea.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Haha, it's probably what we'll see but it's gross.

Loving having a #2 center who put up 12 assists in 80 games last year.

Poor Sven.

Disingenuous, since that was as a 3rd liner. As a 2nd liner I expect it to be higher.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Haha, it's probably what we'll see but it's gross.

Loving having a #2 center who put up 12 assists in 80 games last year.

Poor Sven.

Good thing that Sven is a playmaker first and having a 30 and 20 goal scorer on his line :sarcasm:

Though hopefully it is Horvat on that line as he is more naturally gifted offensively.

What I am curious about is what the #2 PP unit is going to look like. I would think the Baert will be battling Horvat, Vey and Burrows for second unit ice-time. I am expecting Sutter to be a mainstay as a trigger man.

I would rather have Burrows and Higgins off of the PP to focus their energy elsewhere. Until he is a better possession player I keep Vey off. Oh and no Dorsett. The point is still a concern. Bartkowksi will be given every opportunity and then there is Hamhuis?

If personnel is used correctly, it can be a better unit.

Baertschi - Horvat - Sutter
??? - Bartkowski

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Good prove me deal.

I still like the idea of Horvat playing with Sven.

Could have Vrbata on the right side or Burrows depending on who is clicking with the Sedins.

Thus:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata/Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Burrows/Vrbata
Higgins-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-Vey-Dorsett
Grenier/Virtanen/Gaunce

Basis anyway given that Vey seems completely out-of-place on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad