Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Nikita Tolopilo to 2-Year ELC

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
i don't know why they'd rush silovs. let him play a full season in abbotsford as the starter and sign a veteran backup in free agency
The only question I'd have is what does a decent veteran backup cost in salary/cap?
I feel like i've seen that movie before and didn't like the ending at all. We definitely don't have too many goalies signed though. Right now this guy just replaces Delia.
I hope makes it just for his name- Great Save... Tolopilo!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Perhaps the signing has at least something to do with how the goalies in the system have been performing:

Matthew Thiesen (Minnesota Duluth): 19 gp, .905, 22 yrs (just completed his 4th NCAA season. Perhaps he'll go back for one of those odd 5th year seasons due to Covid?) .905 doesn't put him in the top 50 in NCAA save percentage.

Ty Young: (Prince George) 34 gp, .889, 18 yrs (just completed his second full WHL season).

Aku Koskenvuo: (Harvard) 2 gp, .875. 20 yrs (just completed rookie NCAA season).

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
looks like an ian clark special. just give him the body type and he does the rest.
Actually, I remember Kevin Woodley saying there is such a thing as being too big as a goalie. IIRC Ideal is 6'2" to 6'4", something to do with ideal glove and blocker positions in addition to coverage in butterfly and RVH.

Reactions: mossey3535 and m9

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Clark must see some upside here to sign him. Seems like a giant work in progress, but as they say, you can't teach size.
I was figuring Clark probably weighed in on this. Read an interesting article about the lack of Canadian goalies and how Clark's work with Bobrovsky and his general thoughts on Russian/European goalies was intriguing.

He talks about how Canadian goalies are way too focused on the fundamentals and it's cratering general athletic improvisation that makes for truly great goalies. It was a print THN article, not sure if it's on the website, otherwise I'd link.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
Well, Martin is signed for next season and Delia is not, so although this depth chart makes sense from one important perspective, my guess is that's not how it'll play out.

Perhaps they'll move Martin in a minor deal of some sort and sign Delia. Could happen.

The Canucks need to get an agreement signed with an ECHL team, just for the purpose of managing goaltending depth. (They should really go further than that and buy a team.)
And put them somewhere nearby. Somewhere there isn't a whl team... Surrey?

Reactions: Lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You have to hand it to Allvin and the Canucks.......their scouting contacts in Europe--and particularly in Sweden--are second to none.

Normally a huge 6'6" goaltender who played a season or two in the KHL; and then shouldered a huge burden in the Allsvenskan, Sweden's Tier II pro league, and is still only 22, would be a sought after commodity.

But this guy has flown so far below the radar you'd need a depth sounder to find him. Apparently he's made huge strides this year after just one season playing in Sweden.

In Ian Clark we trust.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Big goalie. Seems to be ok the heavy side.

A bit concerned that he’s from Belarus rather than Russia. Russia has been the best country at developing goalies of late. Not sure about Belarus.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Big goalie. Seems to be ok the heavy side.

A bit concerned that he’s from Belarus rather than Russia. Russia has been the best country at developing goalies of late. Not sure about Belarus.
No worries. It'll soon become a Russian province :)

It seems like the team is purposely releasing a news every day.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
I know literally nothing about this player, but I've always been of the opinion that you're better adding goaltending depth for cheap by signing Euro/NCAA UFAs than spending high picks on goalies, so tentative thumbs up.
Aside from Demko of course. Sometimes you have to expend a high pick to get a franchise level tender.

Reactions: MarkMM

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
You can't just magically take Martin off contract.

This guy needs to play ECHL or SHL.

Remember Abby was signing free agents when there were injuries.

yrmj3

Jul 4, 2018
Minsk
He is not very typical product of belarusian hockey system. He moved to Switzerland at early age and returned to Belarus only at 16

Reactions: F A N and Lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He is not very typical product of belarusian hockey system. He moved to Switzerland at early age and returned to Belarus only at 16

Thanks. Do you know the timeframe in which he was in Switzerland?

yrmj3

Jul 4, 2018
Minsk
I didn't remember exact time frame, tried to google, but on all sites his statistics starts from the season 15-16

yrmj3

Jul 4, 2018
Minsk
From the last interview, Tolopilo is dealing with visa issues now, and plans to move to NA as quickly as possible. But if he doesn't manage to open visa in April, he plans to arrive at the end of June in camp

Reactions: Lindgren and MarkMM

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Hope he turns out different than this guy:

1680796910724.png

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I hope makes it just for his name- Great Save... Tolopilo!
I feel like good hockey names are a better predictor of future success than statistics sometimes.

I think the hockey locker room just gravitates around people with interesting names, and naturally props them up to do great things.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I feel like good hockey names are a better predictor of future success than statistics sometimes.

I think the hockey locker room just gravitates around people with interesting names, and naturally props them up to do great things.
It's why Darren Puppa had such a storied career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad