Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Nikita Tolopilo to 2-Year ELC

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Are we putting Silovs in as backup next year?

Seems like a pretty intriguing pickup on paper.
That was my first question as well.

Also possible that Tolopilo goes back to Europe for another season or the ECHL. Leaving Abbotsford with Silovs and Martin again.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....Massive Russian goalie listed on Hockey DB as 6'5", 229. He'll fill the net, if nothing else.

Two years in Russia, and last year in one of Sweden's lower leagues, but still only 22. Undoubtedly gets the good housekeeping seal of approval from Ian Clark.

Can never have enough good prospect goalies in the system.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
That was my first question as well.

Also possible that Tolopilo goes back to Europe for another season or the ECHL. Leaving Abbotsford with Silovs and Martin again.
I admittedly don't know shit about goaltending but it seems like his numbers are definitely good enough to start (or at least split) in Abbotsford.

Honestly I feel like we draft/sign way too many goalies as is, especially since you can normally find guys like this in FA. Since 2017 there has been exactly one year where we didn't pick a goalie.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Big boy! Good stats, still fairly young for prospects standards, nice get

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess it'll all be sorted out at training camp......but the way Silovs is preforming right now, I wouldn't rule him out as the backup to Demko next season. Maybe that's the reason they got a good look at him for five games, even when Demko was back and ready to go.

With Martin signed for another season; Delia might be the odd man out. They could leave Tolopilo in Europe, I suppose. But probably better to get him to Abbotsford to work with Ian Clark and the goalie coaches.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I have been assuming Silovs gets the back up role next year - only good reason why not would be getting him a metric butt tonne of games in Abbotsford, but really he is good enough for the role. Martin and this new guy, I suppose, could fill the nets for the Baby Nucks.

Reactions: calnuck

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I admittedly don't know shit about goaltending but it seems like his numbers are definitely good enough to start (or at least split) in Abbotsford.

Honestly I feel like we draft/sign way too many goalies as is, especially since you can normally find guys like this in FA. Since 2017 there has been exactly one year where we didn't pick a goalie.
His numbers are good, but he was in a low level league. A move to the SHL would be a good step up.

I think he would be fine in Abbotsford as well, but him being the third goalie behind Silovs and Martin wouldn't be ideal.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Clark must see some upside here to sign him. Seems like a giant work in progress, but as they say, you can't teach size.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It does seem like Delia is the odd man out.
I expect that Martin and Silovs will tag team between Vancouver and Abbotsford early next year with the goal of getting Silovs 10-15 starts in the NHL (plus 30-40 in Abbotsford) and becoming the full time backup to Demko by the end of the year.
If Tolopilo put up good numbers in the AHL he could be the fulltime starter in Abbotsford the following year.
All in all, good succession planning and depth management. I don't see any goaltenders in the system, other than Silovs, who have more upside than Tolopilo. And he didn't even cost a draft pick.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Nucks
Demko
Delia

Abby
Silovs
Tolopilo

Martin on the outside looking in.
Well, Martin is signed for next season and Delia is not, so although this depth chart makes sense from one important perspective, my guess is that's not how it'll play out.

Perhaps they'll move Martin in a minor deal of some sort and sign Delia. Could happen.

The Canucks need to get an agreement signed with an ECHL team, just for the purpose of managing goaltending depth. (They should really go further than that and buy a team.)

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Martin and Delia failed spectacularly. No chance they sniff the backup job with the Canucks going for it next year.

Either give the job to Silovs if they really believe in him, or sign an NHL caliber backup.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Martin and Delia failed spectacularly. No chance they sniff the backup job with the Canucks going for it next year.

Either give the job to Silovs if they really believe in him, or sign an NHL caliber backup.
But ... when I went to your post immediately I was expecting the expert's scouting report on Tolopilo. C'mon!

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Martin is fine as a depth goalie in Abbotsford and a 10-15 game backup in Vancouver. Yes he failed before Tocchet. But so did every other goalie. Martin plus the system that Boudreau was trying to use was a disaster. Martin plus Tocchet's system is fine as a stop gap.
I wouldn't be using any assets to acquire a veteran back-up unless Martin was the asset going the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad