Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael DiPietro to 3-year (2017 3rd round draft pick and OHL goaltender of the year)

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Look, I don't like Benning, but I actually agree with the fact that not EVERY DAMN THREAD needs to be Benning bashing.

I for one am glad that the 2017 draft is looking good(so far), and glad they figured something out after 2016 terribad.

I am happy that a 3rd round goalie just got GOALIE OF THE YEAR, so congrats Dipietro(why'd he have to have that last name lol).

I get you don't need to be biasedly positive all the time, and actually hate a lot of that, but please can we talk about this player and that its a good signing?

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
I remember when people called the 2014 draft one of the best drafts in franchise history.

Then something happened in late May of 2016, and a certain group of morons suddenly became a lot quieter about it.

Then something happened in late April of 2017 and talk of how this was an ‘amazing’ draft came to a complete hault.
Well the 2014 draft was an exceptional draft. 4-5 nhlers from it.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
So if a pick is a poor one its Benning's fault, but if a pick turns out good then Benning must've had nothing to do with it. I can't believe that is still a thing. There is enough things to bash Benning about, there's no need to reach for stuff. Benning doesn't make the choices by himself, and neither does Brackett or anyone else... they work together as a group. Their opinions vary on certain players, but they ultimately make the choices together.

Anyways, good to get this guy signed. He had a very good year, and recently getting noticed by team Canada is really encouraging.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Yeah I can’t imagine why people discredit Benning, a guy with a laughable track record when their president says things like

Trevor Linden on the subject of the 2017 draft: "Judd Brackett has a really modernized way of doing things - player categories and how he looks at that." "We're excited about the work Judd has done - the way he looks at the draft and how he values players. I like what we did."

Linden: Gagner would help address PP issues

Reactions: travis scott

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah I can’t imagine why people discredit Benning, a guy with a laughable track record when their president says things like

Trevor Linden on the subject of the 2017 draft: "Judd Brackett has a really modernized way of doing things - player categories and how he looks at that." "We're excited about the work Judd has done - the way he looks at the draft and how he values players. I like what we did."

Linden: Gagner would help address PP issues

Did you discredit Benning for calling Brackett a rising star in the scouting business when Brackett first got promoted from his part-time scouting position?

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Did you discredit Benning for calling Brackett a rising star in the scouting business when Brackett first got promoted from his part-time scouting position?

I did yeah

Brackett kind of forced his hand by unearthing some good picks

Good on Jim for paying attention I guess

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That makes 5 players that the Canucks have signed from the 2017 draft...Obviously,thats not a pre determining factor as to whether they will make the NHL or not....but still impressive.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That makes 5 players that the Canucks have signed from the 2017 draft...Obviously,thats not a pre determining factor as to whether they will make the NHL or not....but still impressive.

It's a pretty bad metric of success (quantity vs. quality), especially when guys like Mackenzie Stewart get contracts.

For reference, in the Gillis era we signed 62% of our picks, including 5/7 in 2009 and 6/8 in 2011. None of those players became 1) full time NHL players but 2) full time NHL players *for* the Canucks.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's a pretty bad metric of success (quantity vs. quality), especially when guys like Mackenzie Stewart get contracts.

For reference, in the Gillis era we signed 62% of our picks, including 5/7 in 2009 and 6/8 in 2011. None of those players became 1) full time NHL players but 2) full time NHL players *for* the Canucks.
As I said,these contracts are not a guarantee of NHL success,or even if they play in the NHL..However,last years crop of players had great years in their respective leagues,some even dominated..all of them are deserved 'quality' prospects...The Mackenzie Stewart signing was obviously the exception,and not the rule.

After this upcoming season,I wouldn't be surprised that the amount of NHL players that Benning has drafted in 4 years, exceeds the amount the organization managed to draft in the previous 10.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

It's not just the fact they god 'signed', but what each of them did in the year after they were drafted....Pettersson dominated the SHL as a teen-ager; Lind had the highest ppg average in the WHL; Gadjovich made Team Canada which won the WJHC; DiPietro the 'goalie of the year' in the OHL; and even Palmu, the rookie of the year in the Finnish pro league.

Would have been a shock if the Canucks had left any of them 'unsigned' after the years they had. That's what makes the 2017 draft so different.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

It's like you can't even follow a conversation.

People are discrediting Benning for his supposed eye for talent and his drafting wizardry, not on his ability to promote people in the front office. Come on dude. Try to follow along.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Could having DiPietro, who looks like a winner, cause JB to trade Demko? Heard Eric Duhatchik (sp?) mentioned Canes wanting
Demko for Hanifin.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Could having DiPietro, who looks like a winner, cause JB to trade Demko? Heard Eric Duhatchik (sp?) mentioned Canes wanting
Demko for Hanifin.

Hopefully not. Trading goalies right before they've reached the end of their development into NHLers is a poor strategy. We've invested 4 years into getting Demko ready for the NHL. The decision on who to trade should come only when Dipietro is nearing NHL readiness (if he gets there).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is the 4th draft in the last 8 years that people have been throwing the 'bestest draft ever!' stuff at. It won't look this good in 2 years.

As for Dipietro, he's a solid prospect and this was an obvious signing.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
This is the 4th draft in the last 8 years that people have been throwing the 'bestest draft ever!' stuff at. It won't look this good in 2 years.

As for Dipietro, he's a solid prospect and this was an obvious signing.

They really said that .... “the bestest”.....? That’s horrendous English

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad