Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Michael DiPietro to 3-year (2017 3rd round draft pick and OHL goaltender of the year)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Canucks now have all of their first 4 picks from the 2017 draft (F Elias Pettersson, F Kole Lind, F Jonah Gadjovich and G Michael DiPietro) signed to ELC's, as well as their 6th round pick (F Petrus Palmu).

The 2016 draft on the other hand....oof. A bunch of garbage there. The Canucks passed on (and rightfully so) offering contracts to Candella, Stukel, Abols and McKenzie. Hopefully Lockwood becomes something so we'll see at least two hopefuls from that dreadful draft.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What a draft in 2017!....Canucks collect a franchise center; a couple of potential second or third line wingers; a legit everyday NHL prospect goalie; and a wildcard player like Palmu....and all now signed. And I suspect if Brassard continues to build on his game in the OHL, he'll earn a contract as well.

Hard to remember a draft like it in Canuck history.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
The Canucks now have all of their first 4 picks from the 2017 draft (F Elias Pettersson, F Kole Lind, F Jonah Gadjovich and G Michael DiPietro) signed to ELC's, as well as their 6th round pick (F Petrus Palmu).

The 2016 draft on the other hand....oof. A bunch of garbage there. The Canucks passed on (and rightfully so) offering contracts to Candella, Stukel, Abols and McKenzie. Hopefully Lockwood becomes something so we'll see at least two hopefuls from that dreadful draft.
Trading for Dahlen makes that draft sting a little less

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What a draft in 2017!....Canucks collect a franchise center; a couple of potential second or third line wingers; a legit everyday NHL prospect goalie; and a wildcard player like Palmu....and all now signed. And I suspect if Brassard continues to build on his game in the OHL, he'll earn a contract as well.

Awesome draft..and yet there's pages of of the usual crew mocking the scouts in the management thread..go figure.

Whatever strategies the scouts had for 2017,lets hope they can recapture that in the 2018 draft.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I think that 1999 draft was decent for us, if I recall.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Shouldn't we wait a few years before declaring this an incredible draft?
I remember when people called the 2014 draft one of the best drafts in franchise history.

Then something happened in late May of 2016, and a certain group of morons suddenly became a lot quieter about it.

Then something happened in late April of 2017 and talk of how this was an ‘amazing’ draft came to a complete hault.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

With the way Benning has squandered picks and whiffed on most of his free agent signings,we need to have multiple players from each draft become NHLers or this rebuild wont ever be completed.That's not going to happen every year but this last one and 2014 and 2015 give some hope that we've turned a corner from our terrible drafting and actually can add legit prospects and future NHLers from each draft going forward.Fingers crossed.

From 2017,I'm not bullish on Brassard but Rathbone has real potential although he's definitely a long term project.Next year he starts playing for Harvard so at least we can track his games and stats and hopefully get some game reports to see where he's at.

Happy to have DiPietro signed and on his way to the pros,so far he's looking great in his development.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Did we officially pass on signing Candella, Stukel and McKenzie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad