Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign G Braden Holtby to 2-Year Deal ($4.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Not going to freak out over this. It was a Demko tandem or committing to Markstrom for 5-6 years and replacing Demko with a league min backup.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Don't love it dont hate it, but I think there is going to be a ton of hockey played in a short period of time this year and I unsrstand the idea of having Holtby and Demko to split time to prevent fatigue other starters may experience before playoffs.

Reactions: Jovofan

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
So we don't have enough money for Tanev and Toffoli but we through 4.3M at f***ing Holtby? Jesus Christ, Benning. You just can't help yourself.

This may explain the price then. I still don't like it though.

I don't know if that's the way to look at it; this is less than a $1m increase to our goaltending salaries over last year. (Markstrom made around $3.67 if I'm not mistaken?)

I think the big salary shoe that is set to drop will come elsewhere.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The fact he can be exposed is the saving grace for me. Not a fan of the signing but the term is not terrible and we get to protect Demko. I retract my initial hate for the deal.

Reactions: I am toxic

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Just imagine overpaying in a flat cap era when you're team is already handcuffed by all the other awful and overpaid contracts on this team.

Why couldn't Jim just get some plumber for a million or 1.5m? If Clark is as good as everything thinks, then he can transform that into a diamond in the rough.

Another Jimbo overpayment on a goalie who didn't get signed by his own club even after winning a cup with them, who's had 3 straight years of .911 to 0.897 save percentage while still playing a majority of the games, and now is going to a team that gives up 45 f***ing shots a night.

Least there's not a NMC/NTC.

Reactions: HedonisticAltruism

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
It’s a short-term contract that puts another nail in Benning’s coffin. I’m fine with that.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Just imagine overpaying in a flat cap era when you're team is already handcuffed by all the other awful and overpaid contracts on this team.

Why couldn't Jim just get some plumber for a million or 1.5m? If Clark is as good as everything thinks, then he can transform that into a diamond in the rough.

Another Jimbo overpayment on a goalie who didn't get signed by his own club even after winning a cup with them, who's had 3 straight years of .911 to 0.897 save percentage while still playing a majority of the games, and now is going to a team that gives up 45 f***ing shots a night.

Least there's not a NMC/NTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad