Confirmed with Link: #Canucks sign forward Joseph LaBate

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Interesting. Wonder how our contract situation plays out. Wilch touched on this in the Subban thread:

We have 31 contracts on the book at the moment for 2015-16:

Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Ryan Miller, Radim Vrbata, Alexander Edler, Kevin Bieksa, Alexandre Burrows, Dan Hamhuis, Christopher Tanev, Luca Sbisa, Derek Dorsett, Chris Higgins, Jannik Hansen, Nick Bonino, Zack Kassian, Eddie Lack, Jake Virtanen, Ashton Sautner, Jared McCann, Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk, Nicklas Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, Dane Fox, Roberto Luongo, Andrei Pedan, Ludwig Blomstrand, Anton Cederholm, Cole Cassels, Jeremie Blain, Evan McEneny

And have 25 contracts that may be renewed:

Shawn Matthias, Brad Richardson, Alex Biega, Tommy Sestito, Will Acton, Bobby Sanguinetti, Cal O'Reilly, Sven Baertschi, Linden Vey, Ronalds Kenins, Yannick Weber, Henrik Tommernes, Frank Corrado, Ryan Stanton, Jacob Markstrom, Joacim Eriksson, Michael Zalewski, Adam Clendening, Alexandre Grenier, Peter Andersson, Joe Cannata, Cory Conacher, Darren Archibald, Brandon De Fazio, Alex Friesen

This means we have to let go of at least 6 of the following:

UFA: Matthias, Richardson, Biega, Sestito, Acton, Sanguinetti, O'Reilly
RFA: Baertschi, Vey, Kenins, Weber, Tommernes, Corrado, Stanton, Marktrom, Eriksson, Zalewski, Clendening, Grenier, Andersson, Cannata, Conacher, Archibald, Defazio, Friesen

My guess gone is Sestito, Acton, Andersson, and Tommernes. Possibly Eriksson (ugh) and Defazio.

One of Matthias and Richardson will likely be the victim of Benning's (or Weisbrod) lack of cap foresight.

One of Stanton and Weber are likely gone, as a result of (once again) Benning's utter incompetence in terms of talent evaluation with regards to Sbisa.

We are now looking at 48-49 contract spots contingent on the non-renewal of certain NHL players.

It's a bit worse than I thought.

LaBate's a player who wasn't on Wilch's list and probably ends up replacing one of the "may be renewed" players

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Interesting. Wonder how our contract situation plays out. Wilch touched on this in the Subban thread:

LaBate's a player who wasn't on Wilch's list and probably ends up replacing one of the "may be renewed" players

The players contracts that are in junior slide, no?

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I was a pretty big fan of his going into the draft, but now I'm not so sure about his pro upside. Hopefully he's at least a decent AHLer.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
LaBate impressed me in his games with the Comets.

Big body that is great along the boards.

I have no idea what his upside is though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Interesting...wasn't sure if he'd done enough to merit a look with a contract, but I guess he has. A big-bodied, two-way center with decent mobility isn't a bad thing to have, although my only concern is the contract limit right now. Otherwise, I like it.

May 31, 2006
Odd signing. Guy didn't seem to improve in his four college seasons. Hopefully he becomes a solid AHL contributor.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Didn't see that coming. Must really like his size and see some of whatever they saw in Pettit in him. :dunno:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Once Benning saw he was 6'6 he must have absolutely freaked out.

Instant contract. You just can't pass up on that much meat and tatorz

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Once Benning saw he was 6'6 he must have absolutely freaked out.

Instant contract. You just can't pass up on that much meat and tatorz

He's grown two inches just since the start of this thread! (He was listed as 6'4".)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, I've seen him listed at 6'6 on some sites. Guy grew like a tree in college.

Yeah. That seemed to be the story. Guy was in the middle of a big growth spurt around the draft that made him super gangly and a bit uncoordinated, very tippy...seemed to just keep on growing for a while after as well.

Seems he's at least started to catch up to his growth lately though, which is good.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Wait he is 6-6 now?, I thought he was like 6-3, wtf

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
he was complaining at one point about getting taller cause he couldn't put on weight

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Wait he is 6-6 now?, I thought he was like 6-3, wtf

He didn't stop growing after the draft, was 6'5 during 2012-13 and reportedly 6'6 last season. Team just didn't change his stats page once on Wisconsin roster after he joined the team.

he was complaining at one point about getting taller cause he couldn't put on weight

This. It was in an article a summer or two back, because he hadn't stopped growing yet he wasn't able to put on weight the way he would have liked.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Decent player with obvious size. Decent wheels, decent shot. Don't mind this at all. There's a lot more "head scratchers" than this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00